• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cyberdad's Excellent 2014 Road Trip Adventure

cyberdad

Staff member
The favorite perk of my (sort of) retirement. Road Trip! Nearly three weeks worth starting this week.

This year, I'm going out west again, where Mrs. Cyberdad & I both have family, friends, and business contacts. But with a few new wrinkles this time. First stop Tuesday night is a familiar one....Winnipeg. But then it's a first-time ever drive across the Canadian prairies, then down into Idaho and Eastern Washington. That's followed by a return to familiar territory...a couple of days in Portland. Then the better part of a week in California....Northern and Southern. Finally, we head back home with stops in Vegas, Vail, Denver, and Kansas City.

I'm especially looking forward to the Canadian Prairies and then Vail. Given the fabulous ground conductivity of the prairies, I'm hoping to encounter a groundwave bonanza during the daytime drive through there. I'm also looking forward to finding out what turns up in the Mountains...Canada, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, and finally Colorado. I've got a couple of new stops planned for California....the middle part of the trip. Santa Monica/Marina Del Rey is one of those, but mostly what I'm expecting there is noise.

Anyway, as always, I'm open to all suggestions and requests concerning what to look for/try for. I love 'em. And also, as always, I'll report on anything new or interesting that I come across....as well as keep silent when there's nothing really of interest or new to talk about.

"Stay tuned".

YAY!! Are you driving 90 through Ellensburg and to I-5 in Seattle, or 82 through Yakima, down to Hermiston and 84 and going west through the Gorge? Either way, eastern Washington is a great spot for DX. Try 780, 1040, 830 and 1500 at night. All 4 are great Midwest targets.
And try 96.5 over here in Eastern Washington. With a good radio, it's a three-way swap within minutes of KJAQ, KWLZ and KOZE. If you are going I-90 west toward Seattle, check out channels like 100.3, 104.1 and 106.5 for Northwest WA/Victoria DX. Heading down to 84 - try 93.5, 105.5 and 92.7 for The Dalles/Hood River. The big Portland sticks like 101.1 and 95.5 should do well, as far as Pendleton.

And just for kicks - are you heading down US-395 through northern CA, NV etc, or I-5? 395 through the Eastern Sierra gives out wild knife edge DX on FM over the Sierra Nevadas.

While you are in the Canadian Prairies, try the FM dial for DX out of North Dakota and Montana. Stations like KRYK Chinook, KLAN Glasgow, KYYZ Williston should make it through the southern parts of SK. Not to mention the incredible AM DX.

-crainbebo

While you are in the Canadian Prairies, try the FM dial for DX out of North Dakota and Montana. Stations like KRYK Chinook, KLAN Glasgow, KYYZ Williston should make it through the southern parts of SK. Not to mention the incredible AM DX.

-crainbebo
As someone who has done this many times, Crane is absolutely right about KRYK and KYYZ. KYYZ will disappear towards the border, but comes right back around Estevan with a pretty decent signal. KRYK does hit parts of southern Alberta, and I used to be able to hear it in Calgary from time to time, but that wouldn't be possible today with a station at 101.5 Try for it around Medicine Hat. The AM dial will be amazing. Stations will travel with you all day. CBK alone is good all over the prairies. In the rockies, AM will be non existant except for the few remaining 40 watt cbc transmitters. There used to be AM's in Canmore, Banff, Field, Revelstoke, and Golden. They're now FM's. Night time will result in a crowded AM dial. BTW don't be surprised to hear Edmonton's 630 CHED before Swift Current Saskatchewan as you drive west. That station in Alberta alone makes it to the U.S. border and hits a large portion of Saskatchewan, once the splatter from 620 goes away. This trip would have been great in the 80's with most of those AM's being top 40s. Saskatchewan radio used to be fantastic, and Alberta wasn't so bad either.

I'd also add KGVA 88.1 and KHEW 88.5 to the "FM DX in Alberta" mix. Both are Native American stations with a variety of NV1 programming, including Indian chanting at times.

-crainbebo

The AM dial will be amazing. Stations will travel with you all day. CBK alone is good all over the prairies.

Never been up that way but looking at the ground conductivity map and being that it's a very low frequency, I wonder if 540 CBK could be heard midday 333 miles away in or around Winnipeg.

I would bet there's at least some signal that could be detected in an area without interference. Will be interesting to see what you get, Cyberdad.

As always Cyberdad I look forward to your road trip reports. Of course any reception reports of the Chicago blowtorches are always appreciated.
Have a safe trip!

Thanks, gentlemen for your thoughts & suggestions. I'll check out as many as I as a couple of points that have been mentioned.

My route: The stretch of the Trans-Canada highway that I haven't driven yet is between Winnipeg and Lethbridge, AB. I plan to knock that off on Wednesday and in the morning on Thursday. Wednesday night in Medicine Hat, AB. Originally Seattle was on the schedule, but we had to cut that for more time in Portland (friends, family, and a business meeting for Mrs. Cyberdad). We'll be crossing back into the U.S. via U.S. 95 into Idaho and from there 395 to 82/84 into Portland on Friday. Portland to Nor-Cal (Santa Rosa) mostly via I-5 (a route I've driven before). I'd like to detour for more of 395, but time won't permit.

Also, I won't be going through Banff....I get off in Lethbridge where I take the Crow's Nest highway (Alberta 3) into BC where it meets route 95. I did take the Trans-Canada two years ago from Banff to Vancouver (and actually also Victoria). I remember three things about it....spectacular scenery, all the CBC translators, and the major Seattle AMs sounding like locals around sunrise before they all faded.

CBK: Indeed, this is listenable 24/7 in Winnipeg. And for that matter, in the northwestern corner of Minnesota. I'm curious to hear how far west I can keep the daytime signal. I'm also interested to track the big signals from Calgary, the Saskatchewan 620, and the 570 from Corner Brook, SK...which claims to have one of the biggest signals in North America. And finally, I'm very interested to see what turns up from the US on both AM and FM. I definitely appreciate all the suggestions.

Chicago blowtorches: I'm always on the lookout for those. I've heard WIND, WGN, WBBM, and WLS there....all with good signals (even WIND). WSCR gets blown out by CJOB...a Winnipeg directional blowtorch with a killer signal on 680. But since my Wednesday drive starts at sunrise or a little before, I'll be watching to see what happens when I get a little west of town. I'll also be watching 1000 to see if either WMVP or KOMO shows up on day pattern.

I'll let you guys know how it goes!

395 will take you from Ritzville right into the Tri-Cities. Tri-Cities/Pendleton is a VERY crowded market for FM. You'll do better on AM. US-95 through Bonners Ferry, Sandpoint etc. might be more interesting for FM as even with mountains, you might be able to get into ID, MT, WA, eastern OR, and BC.

Wish I was going to Portland! I won't be. Ugh. I'll be in Seattle briefly Wednesday, then up to Everett for some other business, then back down to I-90 and east back to Yakima. Two years ago you were in Victoria BC and I was in Portland...getting some good FM DX up to Bellingham's KISM 92.9 (220 miles) and some interesting AM DX. Different than being in Seattle that's for sure. Stronger CA signals and some interesting eastern stuff.
570 is Swift Current, SK - CKSW. Not Corner Brook.

You're going to get a lot of IBOC, and too many AM and FM locals in Santa Monica. Unless you can blow the IBOC off (hard) and try for stuff like KMYI, KYXY and KSON from San Diego - plus 103.3 KVYB Santa Barbara which pianoplayer88key gets almost regularly in El Cajon at over 200 miles - even on a portable radio! I think your best hope for an open channel is 95.1 in Santa Monica, you'll get a weak two way tie of KBBY/KFRG I suppose.

If you take US-97 down to I-84 you'll get more scenery. You'd have to go through Yakima however, but near Goldendale you'll see miles and miles of Ponderosa Pine trees and forest. Plus the Gorge. I suppose some interesting DX happens up there on the Toppenish Ridge but I haven't gone up there to see.

-crainbebo

Thanks, gentlemen for your thoughts & suggestions. I'll check out as many as I as a couple of points that have been mentioned.

My route: The stretch of the Trans-Canada highway that I haven't driven yet is between Winnipeg and Lethbridge, AB. I plan to knock that off on Wednesday and in the morning on Thursday. Wednesday night in Medicine Hat, AB. Originally Seattle was on the schedule, but we had to cut that for more time in Portland (friends, family, and a business meeting for Mrs. Cyberdad). We'll be crossing back into the U.S. via U.S. 95 into Idaho and from there 395 to 82/84 into Portland on Friday. Portland to Nor-Cal (Santa Rosa) mostly via I-5 (a route I've driven before). I'd like to detour for more of 395, but time won't permit.

Also, I won't be going through Banff....I get off in Lethbridge where I take the Crow's Nest highway (Alberta 3) into BC where it meets route 95. I did take the Trans-Canada two years ago from Banff to Vancouver (and actually also Victoria). I remember three things about it....spectacular scenery, all the CBC translators, and the major Seattle AMs sounding like locals around sunrise before they all faded.

CBK: Indeed, this is listenable 24/7 in Winnipeg. And for that matter, in the northwestern corner of Minnesota. I'm curious to hear how far west I can keep the daytime signal. I'm also interested to track the big signals from Calgary, the Saskatchewan 620, and the 570 from Corner Brook, SK...which claims to have one of the biggest signals in North America. And finally, I'm very interested to see what turns up from the US on both AM and FM. I definitely appreciate all the suggestions.

Chicago blowtorches: I'm always on the lookout for those. I've heard WIND, WGN, WBBM, and WLS there....all with good signals (even WIND). WSCR gets blown out by CJOB...a Winnipeg directional blowtorch with a killer signal on 680. But since my Wednesday drive starts at sunrise or a little before, I'll be watching to see what happens when I get a little west of town. I'll also be watching 1000 to see if either WMVP or KOMO shows up on day pattern.

I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Calgary AMs will appear when you pass the town of Herbert Saskatchewan, just west of Moose Jaw. 620 used to appear just west of Brandon, Manitoba when CKRC was on the air. I assume it comes in before now. You should be able to hear it until just west of Medicine Hat. 570 in Swift Current is kind of disappointing to be honest. It will barely make it to the Alberta border...they even have a 250 watt relay at 1490 near the Alberta border. CBK will be listenable until you hit the rockies, and then it drops of very quickly as soon as you enter them. Calgary AMs will enter the mountains but will fade out within an hour to an hour and a half depending on how low on the dial you're listening. KOMO will reach Alberta but expect to have a lot of bleedover from 1010 CBR. WSCR won't be heard, but WGN, and WLS will. WBBM won't be heard either in Alberta. KKOB and CHQR will make sure of that. I never heard WMVP (or WCFL) in western Canada. Seattle AMs will reach Alberta at night. The way I remember things from my childhood: Winnipeg AM's make it into eastern Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan AMs go from Western Manitoba into Eastern Alberta, with the exception of 540 and 600 which reach Calgary very well. Alberta AMs start being heard when you cross from south central Saskatchewan into western Saskatchewan.

CBK: Indeed, this is listenable 24/7 in Winnipeg. And for that matter, in the northwestern corner of Minnesota. I'm curious to hear how far west I can keep the daytime signal.

Wow. A lot better than I would have guessed.

It will be interesting how far west you can hear the last trace of the signal.

Greetings from Stop #2 on the adventure. Medicine Hat, Alberta....southeastern area of the province.

I'll begin by talking about a quick bandscan last night in what turned out to be a reasonably noise free room in the hotel where I usually stay....west side of town. Elice Avenue (pronounced "Ellis". Polo Park neighborhood, which is a couple of miles from the airport.

First, the Chicago stations.... WIND, WGN, WBBM, and WLS all fair-good. WIND was occasionally mixing with something I couldn't identify, but overall quite solid. I also heard what I presume was WYLL steady underneath KSL. WSCR and WMVP were blown out by CJOB and CBW respectively. (WMVP probably next to impossible on night pattern, anyway.)

Here are the other highlights from the rest of the world....

540; CBK - surprisingly weak. Probably due to convergence.
590: Omaha - Fair but on top
610: KCSP - Ditto Omaha
650: No WSM, but two talkers mixing. I presume one was Cheyenne, WY. I had to null CJOB to hear anything
740: CFZM - Weak, but on top
760: WJR - Good, better than Chicago
830: WCCO - Good, no surprise here. Had to null the semi-local 810 to hear it. No WHAS on 840.
850: KOA - Surprisingly weak
860: CJBC - Fair. Better than CFZM
870: No WWL....but I have heard it here before
880: CKLQ solid from about 80 miles west of me
1040: WHO good...due to CKSB being off (permanently, I presume)
1070: I was looking for WTSO or KNX. What I got was a lot of unidentifiable noise.
1100-1130 A "quartet of fair to good signals - WTAM, KFAB, KMOX, and talk that I presume was Minneapolis. Doubt it was CKWX.

Today was a 10 hour drive through the prairies. I'll post more on that hopefully tomorrow, but for now suffice to say that what mimo posted was pretty much spot-on. I'll also say that in 10 hours....more than 600 miles...I had CBK start to finish. Details to come.

Tonight, here in Medicine Hat, I've got a few noise issues in my hotel room, but it shouldn't be a total loss. Some places on the dial are either noise free or reasonably so. I'll post whatever I come up with. I should point out that it's just me and my SRF 37 Walkman in the hotel. Toyota Camry with a good radio for the driving portion.

Last edited:
This is a trip I've done over a dozen times. My grandparents lived in Winnipeg, (later Kenora) and we moved to Calgary when I was 7. From the age of 10 on, I always had a radio with me for the trip, and despite not having been in a car for that highway stretch since 1987, I remember it like I just drove it myself today.

Have you tried for Seattle stations like KOMO, KIRO, KTTH and KRKO, and have you tried for KIT 1280 in Yakima? I'm sure KOMO comes in at night in SK/AB.
Please check FM as well in the car. This is where Montana stations will start coming in, like 101.3 KRYK, 88.1 KGVA, 88.5 KHEW and 93.5 KLAN, as well as 96.7 KZIN.

-crainbebo

This link should answer all questions about CBK's coverage. http://watrousheritage.ca/CBKPictures/CBKCoverageMap-m.jpg

Now that's definitely a better more informative coverage map than many I've seen, at least as far as the contours go. :) (I do wish I could more clearly see some of the cities, and also it'd be nice to be able to see some ultra-fringe contours, like maybe 0.0001 mV/m (0.1 µV/m, or whatever contour would represent where a signal would still barely be detectable on an SDR with a mile-long beverage antenna, but too weak to ID the station or even the mode of transmission). In looking at that map, it looks like CBK has a stronger signal than KFI at the same distance, at least based on KFI's reception at my house. KNX, in spite of more distance, is slightly stronger than KFI due to a saltwater path, but still gets trounced by CBK, at least on paper.
(I wonder how much power, OR, what type of antenna, a station like WQEW would have to run to have their 0.025 mV/m contour be the same distance as that of CBK?)

Is there any chance that someone like Scott Fybush, David Eduardo, RF Systems Engr (Retired), or anyone else knows where I could find contour maps like that (showing all those contours) for USA stations? I've sometimes seen contour maps posted in interference studies linked here (or the other site), for example KBRT's transmitter site move, but I don't know how to search for those if I don't already know the direct link to the maps. :/ I'd especially like to find the maps for all stations that put at least a 0.005 mV/m groundwave contour anywhere in San Diego county, CA.

Back to the topic - I look forward again to your California results, cyberdad. :) Where in SoCal, for example, will you be? Also did you get a chance to check the coverage maps of some smaller-wattage stations in the northern US / southern Canada? I'd like to find out how far the 550 or 570 in Bismarck, ND (and the other city up that way with that frequency) goes, and also how far graveyard stations carry. :)

I wish there were. The site this came from isn't affiliated with CBK, but the town of Watrous, where the transmitter is located.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom