• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

future radio

U

Unregistered

will music or talk personalities survive when internet radio is widely used?
or are Pandora & Spotify the models for radio of the future ?

will music or talk personalities survive when internet radio is widely used?
or are Pandora & Spotify the models for radio of the future ?

Of course talk as a format will continue after the internet is the main way to listen to audio content. Why wouldn't it?

I would think a lot of the future of talk radio in general depends on the tastes of today's young people as they grow older. If they continue to prefer Pandora and Spotify over talk programs, and continue to rely on internet blogs and Facebook memes for their news and information, then talk radio's goose will pretty much be cooked.

People have been saying talk's goose has been cooked for 25 years. It hasn't happened yet.

Talk RADIO will eventually go away because RADIO will eventually go away. The talk content will just move online with everything else. It won't be radio. but it'll be the same content.

This isn't going to happen anytime soon, though. I'm talking 50 years from now. Maybe more.

People have been saying talk's goose has been cooked for 25 years. It hasn't happened yet.

Talk RADIO will eventually go away because RADIO will eventually go away. The talk content will just move online with everything else. It won't be radio. but it'll be the same content.

This isn't going to happen anytime soon, though. I'm talking 50 years from now. Maybe more.

Really? Have you looked that the ratings numbers for right-wing talk lately? Better check the meat thermometer in that goose.

And the industry has decided that "talk" means right-wing rants punctuated with mega-dittos (or the equivalent). That may not last long but, yes, people will probably want to listen to an engaging personalities talk (about something or anything) for a long time.

My memory is still solid enough to remember the same question being asked when satellite radio was being launched. "What happens when satellite radio displaces terrestrial radio?" Here we are a decade later, and satellite radio has barely moved a needle. Terrestrial radio is still on top by a mountain to an ant hill.

My memory is still solid enough to remember the same question being asked when satellite radio was being launched. "What happens when satellite radio displaces terrestrial radio?" Here we are a decade later, and satellite radio has barely moved a needle. Terrestrial radio is still on top by a mountain to an ant hill.

They ran into the wall that Internet streaming programming is going to run into soon. People aren't going to pay for something they can get for free.

Streaming requires a smartphone, a data plan and some very rudimentary tech skills to get that audio to play over your car stereo. That's too much trouble for some people when there's a free and ridiculously easy option.

I hear what you're saying, except people already have proven they will pay for something they could get for free -- look at cable TV.

The young people already have the smart phone, they already have the data plan, they already figured out the apps they use.

Having it in the car may present some issues, but I still think streaming presents more of a threat to terrestrial radio than satellite radio did.

Like David Eduardo frequently mentions, radio is slowly shifting platforms more and more towards online streaming. The jobs may still be out there, but the delivery system will go from OTA towards internet delivery.

Like David Eduardo frequently mentions, radio is slowly shifting platforms more and more towards online streaming. The jobs may still be out there, but the delivery system will go from OTA towards internet delivery.

Once the industry figures out how to make money from streaming and the infrastructure is there, the jobs will be there.

AM Radio should have died along with Bob Grant.
but AM is headed to the graveyard .

the FCC will help AM radio?

they are 35 years too late.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom