• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

96.5 NASH FM and NOW 102.1 NASH ICON

acheron1982

Star Participant
Both stations belong to Cumulus
Both stations are 100k watts
Both stations are country (one classic one modern)

Anyone want to dare predict how long this will last?????

There is no programming initiative at Cumulus more important than Nash & Nash Icon. They've invested more time, attention, personnel, and money in it than anything else. So my guess is at least five years. They're two different stations, with two different targets, and it's designed to be complimentary.

Both stations belong to Cumulus
Both stations are 100k watts
Both stations are country (one classic one modern)

Anyone want to dare predict how long this will last?????

Country music from the 80's and 90's was huge. You had pop listeners who defected from CHR and AC, because they thought it was terrible (I was one of those programmers who jumped on the wagon). Today country has morphed into a different sound, and exiled many of the Nash Icon artists. I think it will do well.

Country music from the 80's and 90's was huge. You had pop listeners who defected from CHR and AC, because they thought it was terrible (I was one of those programmers who jumped on the wagon). Today country has morphed into a different sound, and exiled many of the Nash Icon artists. I think it will do well.

Clear Channel has its unbranded classic country feed on WWYZ-HD2 here and I really enjoy it. Country music was a non-starter in Connecticut until WWYZ flipped from soft AC in 1988; it's been a solid performer ever since. Does Nash Icon mix in '60s and '70s country as well, or is the focus strictly '80s/'90s, mostly from 1985 on? Clear Channel goes all the way back to Patsy Cline and even Hank Williams occasionally.

And it has also happened in the Albany market. Nash FM 104-5 and Nash Icon 102-1.

This won't last long on 102.1. New Country is killing it on Alpha's 106.9 & classic country has been long since established on 98.3 & 96.5. Savannah cannot support FOUR country stations. It's that simple. Plus most every outlying signal is country, so don't count on any favors from Statesboro, for example.

102.1 would be better served as an active rock flanker for I-95, which is sounding horrendous these days (who is the new VO guy & nighttime chick? Horrible!!). Let I-95 do what it does best & play mostly obscure classic rock songs, and have 102 take out Rock 106.1.

G

Maybe I am misunderstanding you. Yes, 102.1 going active or alternative (which would reach Hinesville and Statesboro which have no modern rock choice) would be the best move, however, I was struck by your comment regarding I-95.

WIXV I-95 is considered heritage rock. Basically, they play about 200 classic rock songs over and over and always have. Obscure classic rock cuts on I-95 hasn't been the case in over 12 years. They recently went through a slight upgrade with a new voice for the station (sweepers), updated playlist (okay now it's 250 songs) and the demise of John Boy and Billy. Still, they have a very narrow playlist that focuses on the southern side of classic rock. You won't hear much from the prog rock artists like Yes, Electric Light Orchestra and deeper cuts from Rush. It's VERY mainstream. Tom Petty, Skynyrd, AC/DC 24/7.

Nationally, Active Rock is not doing well. That is why 106.1 is in the crapper and has been for a while. Notice that 106.1 playlist skews mostly 90s with very limited post 2010 (new rock) music which signals to the lack of popularity for new harder mainstream rock artists. For 102.1, I think the best bet would go in a Alternative Rock direction much like 101 WKQX out of Chicago. Cumulus would do a better job with Alternative than Clear Channel since CC tends to be more poppier an less rock in terms of Alternative. Cumulus tends to lean harder with their alternative.

With Rock 106.1 - I would suggest to stay the course. Changing an active rock station to alternative has proven detrimental for stations all over the country. Active Rock fans become irate if they turn on the radio and hear Lorde, Mumford and Sons, and The Black Keys replacing the more typical redneck white trash rock artist like Disturbed, Slipknot and All That Remains. Active Rock may be in the crapper for now but popularity between Active Rock vs Alternative swings back in fourth in the course of 10 years. Always has and always will. Still, straight alternative may not do well in Savannah which is why I think a Cumulus Alternative brand would be perfect since they tend to lean harder. You will hear some harder acts on Cumulus Alternative radio vs CC Alternative. Plus the big plus is the reach into Statesboro and HInesville which don't get 106.1 and have no modern rock choice.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom