• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HOT 101.5 NOW sounding TOO MAINSTREAM!

U

Unregistered

I think HOT 101.5 is going WAY too mainstream. Why? Because the adjustments they just made to new songs they add to their playlist. I tried to call them but don't know what happened next, probably COX didn't respond. If you don't believe me, listen to Hot 101.5 when these following songs play, and these songs have been adjusted to normal toning, while some songs 4 in total reverted back to default settings:

-Chandelier/Sia.
-Hideaway/Kiesza.
-Delerious (Boneless)/Steve Aoki ft. Kid Ink
-Come Get It Bae/Pharrell ft. Miley Cyrus.
-Shower/Becky G.
-Boom Clap/Charli XCX.
-Break Free/Ariana Grande ft. ZEDD.
-Black Widow/Iggy Azalea ft. Rita Ora
-Rather Be/Clean Bandit.
-Bang Bang/Jessie J, Ariana Grande, and Nicki Minaj.
-A Sky Full of Stars/Coldplay.

The last song that was their usual high toned settings since their inception in 2011 was, Habits (Stay High)-Tove Lo.

There were songs that were high toned before in this station but have reverted back to their default normal toned settings and they were:
-Maps/Maroon 5.
-Bailando/Enrique Inglesias.
-Stay With Me/Sam Smith.
-All of Me/John Legend.

Please HOT 101.5, go back to your high toned settings, like your sister station Power 100.1 in Athens, GA and legendary/heritage sister station 106.1 WBLI in Long Island. Don't be like WAPE in JAX or WFLC Miami's Hits 97.3 in the future or most of your listeners will go back to 93.3 FLZ. At least one Facebook user responded about this. I think he is with us. And my cousin despite this, he will still go with 101.5 all the way. Someday, I will reject 101.5 and go back to FLZ.

- What do you mean by "high toned"?? Never heard anyone describe music like that before.
- In the three way Top 40 ratings battle, HOT is currently 3rd. WFLZ is 1st and WLLD just beat HOT by a hair.
- HOT has been losing listeners like crazy the past five months in a row - 103,000 listeners just since March!

WPOI-FM Cume
Top 40/M

Mar 14-743,300
Apr 14-735,700
May 14-701,100
June 14-672,400
July 14-640,300

- What do you mean by "high toned"?? Never heard anyone describe music like that before.
- In the three way Top 40 ratings battle, HOT is currently 3rd. WFLZ is 1st and WLLD just beat HOT by a hair.
- HOT has been losing listeners like crazy the past five months in a row - 103,000 listeners just since March!

WPOI-FM Cume
Top 40/M

Mar 14-743,300
Apr 14-735,700
May 14-701,100
June 14-672,400
July 14-640,300

I mean how WBLI plays it or how 106.7 in Orlando does it. Even 100.7 over here in Tampa is doing it (except during AT40, of course.) See these settings can sometimes play a factor in it's ratings and popularity, like what you explained, raydiodude! Z100 in NYC and soon, Amp Radio over there in that same place (not Orlando, NYC) played normal toned music. For example, what you hear on an MP3 player or Vevo, or sometimes, YouTube, when you leave it be, but only edit the swear words and all these profanities, and stuff like that. But that's New York! They don't matter. But this is Tampa Bay!! They used to do the "tone" not default, but what the insturments ajust to, like how it's rival FLZ plays their music (exceptions, AT40, IHR Countdown, and some remixes.) 101.5 has done it like this since their inception in 2011! I should also add that sister station WFLC Hits 97.3 in Miami play their music the same way Hot 101.5 does it right now (Actually, Hits 97.3 started this thing.) WAPE has done it this way since the late 90's, so I am not complaining to them. They may end up like 94.1, but then again they go like rival FLZ at times, not all the time. Also, I think Am I Wrong, by Nico and Vinz is added to that list, and to complain to them about this, or not, for you in this case raydiodude, call 727-579-2000, NOT 727-999-1015. I think 101.5 should bring this adjustment of their music back, before it's too late, or maybe it already is...

I mean how WBLI plays it or how 106.7 in Orlando does it. Even 100.7 over here in Tampa is doing it (except during AT40, of course.) See these settings can sometimes play a factor in it's ratings and popularity, like what you explained, raydiodude! Z100 in NYC and soon, Amp Radio over there in that same place (not Orlando, NYC) played normal toned music. For example, what you hear on an MP3 player or Vevo, or sometimes, YouTube, when you leave it be, but only edit the swear words and all these profanities, and stuff like that. But that's New York! They don't matter. But this is Tampa Bay!! They used to do the "tone" not default, but what the insturments ajust to, like how it's rival FLZ plays their music (exceptions, AT40, IHR Countdown, and some remixes.) 101.5 has done it like this since their inception in 2011! I should also add that sister station WFLC Hits 97.3 in Miami play their music the same way Hot 101.5 does it right now (Actually, Hits 97.3 started this thing.) WAPE has done it this way since the late 90's, so I am not complaining to them. They may end up like 94.1, but then again they go like rival FLZ at times, not all the time. Also, I think Am I Wrong, by Nico and Vinz is added to that list, and to complain to them about this, or not, for you in this case raydiodude, call 727-579-2000, NOT 727-999-1015. I think 101.5 should bring this adjustment of their music back, before it's too late, or maybe it already is...

Oh, it's song "PITCH" that you're describing. A lot of CHR's pitch songs up 3%. And once you start pitching songs, you pitch them ALL and there's no goin back until you switch formats otherwise you sound ridiculous, much like you've described above.

Actually, Hot 101.5 sounded ridiculously last year when they set ZEDD's Stay the Night ft. Paramore in normal pitch and their original 2-3% pitch and this has happened to Calvin Harris's Feel So Close, Miley Cyrus's We Can't Stop, and Rihanna and Emimem's, The Monster. HOT 101.5 is so ridiculous now than ever, I think they did this full time. Oh, and not all their songs had a normal pitch, songs like MAGIC's Rude or Disclosure's Latch is still at a 3% pitch. The last one to do that is Tove Lo's Habits (Stay High.)

All hail, Clear Channel fan boy, Brian Holmes! I hope they pay you enough to afford all of that Kool-Aid.

And Meghan Trainor's All About That Bass goes on and off the pitch, either default pitch one time, 3% pitch the next! :(

WPOI-FM Cume
Top 40/M

Mar 14-743,300
Apr 14-735,700
May 14-701,100
June 14-672,400
July 14-640,300

Not anymore, they are getting listeners, despite their high pitch. THIS IS VERY RIDICULOUS TO 101.5 AND CRAZY, AND I HAVE NO IDEA how they got to #1 in the Top 40 battle. :mad:
- In the three way Top 40 ratings battle, HOT is currently 1st. WFLZ is 2nd and WLLD is still behind FLZ by Classic Hits Q105.
-HOT has been GETTING listeners like crazy, well more less, because their rank stayed the same the past 2 months in a row.

WPOI-FM Nielsen Ratings
Top 40/PPM

August 14-5.5. Increase from July.
September 14-5.5 No change.

However I may be wrong, because 101.5 can lose listeners in October, but the ratings hasn't come in yet. :(

It amazes me that stations are still pitch shifting songs. Until recently, I thought this went out of style years ago. I have actually never heard this happen on the radio around here, but then again I have never listened to Hot 101.5.... so...

If you are trying to free up some time, why not just time compress the song a little bit, but keep the right pitch? I don't get it, I have heard tapes of what it used to sound like in the analog days, and it's ridiculous, I just can't imagine doing it anymore.

Yeah, HOT 101.5 sounds like an iPod right now. It might stay that way because Miami sister Hits 97.3 is going that way, well because it's Miami. Pop music is supposed to have it's pitch like an iPod, unless if it's Power 96 (soon to be AMP Radio). JAX sister WAPE has sounded like that since 2 years ago, when they went back to sounding like an iPod when going high pitched music in 2011. Now Athens, GA sister Power 100.1 is doing this, but it will be a very slow process... I hope Long Island sister BLI won't do this too... :( Why does Cox have to make it's stations other than BLI go normal pitch like an iPod. Why? Is it Dan Mason's fault?

Never cared for songs pitched up, or stations that used echo back in the day.

YEEESSSSSSS!!! THIS IS A SIGN HOT 101.5 IS STRUGGLING (a little.. :) ) IN THE RATINGS!!! ALONG WITH THEIR SHIFT PITCHING MUSIC, JAYDE IS LEAVING. That means their Morning Show is no more... Although, that means they will do a lot better, so that decision has some drawbacks... :(

Just my two-cents worth:

The big problem with up-pitching ... Every single song must be up-pitched by exactly the same amount.
Even so, anyone with "perfect pitch" will be annoyed beyond belief unless the pitch change is exact.
A "B-flat" must be pitch-shifted exactly to a "B" .... which is something that most PDs don't understand.
With today's software technology, it's easy to perform exact pitch-shifting and/or tempo-shifting.
I've always asked "why do it?"
I didn't like it in the 60s (when the PD wrapped tape around the turntable motor shaft to speed-up the turntable) and I don't like it now.

:( What I meant is that Jayde left and that may make Hot struggle (only a little... :( ) or not..? IDK.

Looks like not only HOT is going on this non-pitch trend (which is permanent), but their rival's FLZ's sister Y100 from Ft. Myers (not Miami) are also going to not high pitch their music unlike FLZ. IDK if this is actually happening or it only happens on some days or before, during, or/and after their Morning Show is done (Elvis Duran). BTW, Kane is more better than Duran ;).

BTW (again), Jayde just left which means HOT is doing either good or bad, IDK (they may have a new morning show), and Y100 SWFL's call letters and actual frequency is respectively, WZJZ and 100.1. Sorry, forgot to add it... :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom