• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Get Jesse?

Roddybob

Frequent Participant
Noticed no references to Jesse Jones anymore on KING 5 website. No recent Twitter or facebook posts....
Maybe I am just missing something, but changes are coming to KING 5.

I heard some kind of rumor on Bob Rivers' last show, that he was moving to KIRO-TV. Unconfirmed though as I can't find anything on the web about it.

Last edited:
I hope not! We need a guy like Jesse to keep 'em honest!

Seems like they have been chucking all the veteran reporters since Gannett took over. All young "freshman" types.

There's been some turnover at KING but much of it may be/is unrelated to Gannett.

Losing Allen Schauffler was a big deal, he left under Belo to go to AAJ.

They also lost Rob Piercy, he also seemed to leave on his own.

Both Schauff and Piercy reported when they weren't anchoring, as did Meg Coyle, who is now working a full anchoring schedule.

Jim Forman seems to be still off on leave due to a bad back.

Roberta Romero left on her own to work at a women's drug and alcohol rehab place in Kirkland (podcast with Colleen O'Brien about this on mynorthwest.com).

Jesse Jones (per this thread) left for KIRO.

But many of the old guard are still there. Frame, Ingalls, Byron, Brill, Farley, Hahn, Chittim, Forman, Mikkelsen and Wilkinsen. That's still a core that can be built around.

My god - now Jesse Jones? Gannett is a cheap-ass company. Replacing all their veteran reporters with ones that just came out of journalism school, are in their 20s and have a good knowledge of screwing up lines and causing errors, is not going to work. KING-TV is most likely going down to last place soon.

From FBook:

"After nine years I am moving on from KING-TV. I want to thank the station for its support of my family and the Get Jesse franchise. Again, thank you.
I leave KING because of a new and exciting opportunity at KIRO-TV. I will begin there in late October. Because of my contract with KING, I will not be able to appear on air in my new job until April. This is going to be thrilling with lots of hard work in store. But I wouldn't want it any other way."

Never knew the reason behind non-compete contracts. Even applies at some stations to master control operators. (Although others and I were allowed to work at KCPQ and KBTC-TV at the same time on-call). When I tried to apply at NWCN, they said I had to quit from KBTC-TV...

Last edited:
Good for KIRO-TV, stick to doing local television the correct way. I knew KING-5 was going down hill when they added that hilariously terrible commercial for their news coverage with an ear splitting auto-tune song.

And speaking of "singing", KNDO/KNDU have a promo for their "Wake Up Northwest" with a whiney female singer. Wow...a new low for NBC Right Now - which doesn't even have a STUDIO in Yakima anymore! Yes, just a TINY sales office on Yakima Avenue for KNDO. Years ago, KNDO had a studio, master control, satellite dishes and anchors, directors and cameramen...not now. It's all in Kennewick.

I think KIRO is better than the other stations now - Steve Raible is still there. He's a great anchor - not so much Angela however. Wish Susan Hutchinson was back on the air!

I never thought I'd say this (given KIRO's '80s and '90s reputation as "The Lou Guzzo News Station" that only old people watch), but KIRO-TV news has actually become awfully good in recent years....

Or maybe I'm just getting older...

And what are you all doing on my lawn? BEAT IT! SCRAM! ALL OF YOU!.....(GRUMBLE, GRUMBLE.....)

I never thought I'd say this (given KIRO's '80s and '90s reputation as "The Lou Guzzo News Station" that only old people watch), but KIRO-TV news has actually become awfully good in recent years....

Or maybe I'm just getting older...

And what are you all doing on my lawn? BEAT IT! SCRAM! ALL OF YOU!.....(GRUMBLE, GRUMBLE.....)

KING is for the youth of today. I mean come on, all them youth love that auto-tune!

My understanding is that Pat Costello, former VP at KING and current VP at KNXV in Phoenix, was the biggest proponent of the "Get Jesse" franchise. Costello left KING in January of last year. Perhaps current management didn't think highly of that franchise. I will tell you that Gannett has axed the two top, long-time consumer reporters here in Phoenix. One left television news entirely; the other went to another station.

Interestingly, Costello recently started a franchise similar to "Get Jesse" here in Phoenix called "Let Joe Know".

Good for KIRO-TV, stick to doing local television the correct way. I knew KING-5 was going down hill when they added that hilariously terrible commercial for their news coverage with an ear splitting auto-tune song.

LOL! Thank goodness I'm not the only one who's annoyed by that promo :p

KING-5 Is the ADHD Newscast, When I go over to visit family in Seattle. I usually Watch KIRO or Q-13

And speaking of "singing", KNDO/KNDU have a promo for their "Wake Up Northwest" with a whiney female singer. Wow...a new low for NBC Right Now - which doesn't even have a STUDIO in Yakima anymore! Yes, just a TINY sales office on Yakima Avenue for KNDO. Years ago, KNDO had a studio, master control, satellite dishes and anchors, directors and cameramen...not now. It's all in Kennewick.

I think KIRO is better than the other stations now - Steve Raible is still there. He's a great anchor - not so much Angela however. Wish Susan Hutchinson was back on the air!
Kennewick is home to all 3 central Wash stations studios with maybe KIMA still doing some anchoring from Yakima. I notice KNDO shoots live on Yakima Ave a lot but it could be the season, they'll probably go back inside once it gets dark. I was thinking the other day, none of the Tri City stations has a meteorologist. 23 and 25 have been using a new person who is a meteorologist, probably from Q6, but my email reply from KNDU claimed Tim Adams is on vacation. I wonder long an area like Yakima/Tri Cities can go without one when all the stations in say, Eugene have one each.

Yakima's KIMA does ONLY 5/6PM from Yakima. Jim Niedelman with Alan Sillence sports (and he's been gone for weeks - vacation? Morgan Vance from KEPR is subbing in, likely on Memorex) 11PM is Terry Chick, I suppose he is taping it from Pasco as well earlier in the night. Then Terry/Annie and Mike come in later in the broadcast, from Pasco, simulcast from KEPR. The morning newscast is also from KEPR and fed to KIMA. Jay Frank/Kristi Paulus (she used to be at KVEW). They got rid of Abby Acone (she moved to CO) but the new girl, Jordan Wilkerson, does the morning lifestyle/entertainment reports, mainly taped from the previous day.
I hardly can stand local news in Yakima/Pasco. KAPP is too Tri-Cities orientated, and so is KNDO to an extent (both do NOT have studios in Yakima anymore - just a bureau with one or two reporters) and KIMA can't report on anything breaking. The "Big Story" always has to be something I don't really care about - like statistics for crime, home sales, etc. Wow - that's breaking! Makes KIRO look like WCBS!
KIMA's set (and so is KEPRs) look like it's from a basement. 3 little HDTVs that only display the "Action News" logo. KAPP is even worse! Looks like it comes from a B-list college production. KNDO/KNDU looks the best - like a real news set!

If I am in Seattle (not since Dec 2013) - it's usually KIRO. Can't stand KCPQ and the "Pet Walk Forecast" with MJ in the mornings, KING I won't watch again due to Jean/Jesse/etc gone and the cheap-ass Gannett takeover, and same with KOMO with Sinclair. KIMA is the "ONLY" Yakima news and it's pretty laughable sometimes. Sad. 10 years ago, there was a full news set at KIMA, with two anchors, Stu Seibel weather - who was there FOREVER...and Alan with sports. Plus a nice background of the Yakima Valley/Mt Adams behind the set. I'd rather read the YH-R.

-crainbebo

Fordranger - not surprised.

"Wait for it...WET PAWS for your Pet Walk Forecast with a high of 63...oh and look at this cute adorable dog named Fido - sent in from so and so from Federal Way! Oh isn't he SO adorable!" Barf. If you are a meteorologist you report the WEATHER - not the DOGS. KIRO doesn't do that crap.

-crainbebo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom