• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

95.1 The Oasis Debuts on 8/13/2014

Riviera Broadcasting replaced the Spanish-language AC on KVIB 95.1 with soft AC at Noon MDT on Wed. 8/13/2014.

Press release (contained on website and link below) promises 55 minutes of "Lite and refreshing" music every hour.

“We’re excited to bring this new format to Phoenix, and provide a place to escape the over-hyped,
high-energy world we live in today,” said Jose Rodiles, Riviera’s COO...Many of the songs we will play on The
Oasis are not currently being heard anywhere else in Phoenix.”

New website: http://theoasisphoenix.com

Listen Live player link: http://player.liquidcompass.net/KVIBFM

Listen Live direct streaming URL: http://stream.us.gslb.liquidcompass.net/KVIBFMAAC?ats=1

Press release PDF file: http://theoasisphoenix.com/download/pdf/KVIB 951 The Oasis Press Release.pdf

YAY!! I love Soft ACs. No need to be "KISS-FM Lite" like all the other major-market ACs out there, WAY too much Adele, Katy Perry and Bruno Mars.

-crainbebo

YAY!! I love Soft ACs. No need to be "KISS-FM Lite" like all the other major-market ACs out there, WAY too much Adele, Katy Perry and Bruno Mars.

The real key is being able to monetize the older demos.

The biggest example is WDUV in Tampa, which has been #1 in 12+ for about 15 years. However, the audience is decidedly 65+, and it is ranked 15th in billing. It's a less than full C signal, and doing a niche format that nobody wants for a full signal has brought them 15 years of profitability and stability.

There are certain parallels in the stations, their facilities and the market. It's likely that this can be a profitable slice of the pie for Riviera and one that they can own in a market that does have, still, a sizable senior population.

Interesting that the old website is still working for 95.1 Solamente Exitos (Only Hits)...

http://solamenteexitos.com/

They're still promoting a Marc Anthony concert for Aug. 30 for a radio station that doesn't exist anymore.

As for Soft AC, there are three full power stations doing this format in the top 20 markets: WDUV Tampa (mentioned above by David), WFEZ Miami and KIFM San Diego. WDUV is a big #1 overall in Tampa, usually with double-digit ratings 6+, but as David tells us, that only puts it at #15 in the 25-54 demo. Meanwhile co-owned WFEZ Miami is #5 overall, and as high as #3 in May. And as David tells us, it's also usually top 5 in the 25-54 demo, making good money for Cox Broadcasting. Lincoln Financial's KIFM is #2 in San Diego but as David tells us, it's 25-54 numbers are still outside the top 10.

My question is: How is KVIB's signal? It runs 41,000 watts on a tower 2785 feet above average terrain. That's good, although its tower is more than 50 miles from downtown Phoenix, really about halfway between Phoenix and Prescott. Meanwhile most of Phoenix's major FM stations are within 5 miles of the urban core. And KVIB is sort of hemmed in on the dial, with 95.5 KYOT and 94.5 KOOL on either side, both licensed to Phoenix. KVIB is licensed to Sun City West. I wonder how someone in Chandler or Apache Junction will get it on a cheap radio?

I also wonder why they chose "The Oasis" as their handle. The Oasis was a short-lived Smooth Jazz competitor to KYOT, at 105.9, home of Regional Mexican KHOT these days. Yeah, once upon a time, Smooth Jazz was so hot that Phoenix had TWO stations in the format. Maybe no one will remember The Oasis, although you'd think the target audience for KVIB might.

Actually, the original Oasis was at 103.5. As for how the signal is, the original Oasis at 103.5 covered the market reasonably well but was disadvantaged relative to the South Mountain signals. The new Oasis will be even more disadvantaged, but I understand it will have a translator on South Mountain, which will probably help a little bit.

My question is: How is KVIB's signal? It runs 41,000 watts on a tower 2785 feet above average terrain. That's good, although its tower is more than 50 miles from downtown Phoenix, really about halfway between Phoenix and Prescott. Meanwhile most of Phoenix's major FM stations are within 5 miles of the urban core. And KVIB is sort of hemmed in on the dial, with 95.5 KYOT and 94.5 KOOL on either side, both licensed to Phoenix. KVIB is licensed to Sun City West. I wonder how someone in Chandler or Apache Junction will get it on a cheap radio?

98.3, KKFR broadcasts from the same general area as KVIB. It's signal reaches the West Valley quite well,
gradually fading as you go East and South of Shaw Butte. The signal does not reach East Mesa and Apache
Junction hardly at all.

I pick it up just fine through out the Valley, and I go all over. (Mainly out in far East Mesa.)

I gave it a quick listen when me and my buddies were running a quick errand to Target. It's not a bad station and I programmed it on the car radio. I thought it had a good signal in my part of Phoenix near 7th Street and Bethany Home.

As for Soft AC, there are three full power stations doing this format in the top 20 markets: WDUV Tampa (mentioned above by David), WFEZ Miami and KIFM San Diego. WDUV is a big #1 overall in Tampa, usually with double-digit ratings 6+, but as David tells us, that only puts it at #15 in the 25-54 demo. Meanwhile co-owned WFEZ Miami is #5 overall, and as high as #3 in May. And as David tells us, it's also usually top 5 in the 25-54 demo, making good money for Cox Broadcasting. Lincoln Financial's KIFM is #2 in San Diego but as David tells us, it's 25-54 numbers are still outside the top 10.

KIFM in SD has been slowly edging up in 25-54. They are now in the 11th to 13th range, considerably better than they were when they launched as much better than the last years as smooth jazz.

As RadioResearcher says, WDUV has adjusted quite a bit, playlist-wise, and has become a 25-54 contender, averaging about 11th in the last 3 to 4 months. They still lag in billing, but that may be the heritage "geezer" image they have to live with.

WFEZ started in a very DUV-like execution until Cox folks realized that Miami is not a retirement community any more and they rapidly made it fresher and a bit brighter. It worked, and they were able to move their other AC to a CHR format as WFEZ successfully competes with WLYF down there. In fact, in the last book WFEZ is 5th in 25-54.

Obviously, this is a viable format option and one that appeals to radio's heaviest listeners and which, if properly programmed, has a big 25-54 component.

The Oasis

I personally think the name is fantastic as it will attract former listeners and possibly some former talent that worked at the original one in Phoenix, like yours truly.

KIFM in SD has been slowly edging up in 25-54. They are now in the 11th to 13th range, considerably better than they were when they launched as much better than the last years as smooth jazz.

As RadioResearcher says, WDUV has adjusted quite a bit, playlist-wise, and has become a 25-54 contender, averaging about 11th in the last 3 to 4 months. They still lag in billing, but that may be the heritage "geezer" image they have to live with.

WFEZ started in a very DUV-like execution until Cox folks realized that Miami is not a retirement community any more and they rapidly made it fresher and a bit brighter. It worked, and they were able to move their other AC to a CHR format as WFEZ successfully competes with WLYF down there. In fact, in the last book WFEZ is 5th in 25-54.

Obviously, this is a viable format option and one that appeals to radio's heaviest listeners and which, if properly programmed, has a big 25-54 component.

Especially 25-54 ladies, I would think, plus some older ones that of course wouldn't interest the advertisers too much.

Comes in just fine out in Queen Creek in SE Valley...good station, much in the need for this format again.

On the car radio today driving from Tucson to Cave Creek via I-10 there was no sign of the Oasis until Picacho Peak, unlike the South Mountain sticks which can be heard in Tucson. By the time we got to Casa Grande the KOAI's signal had strengthened and was very listenable all the way into Phoenix. However, there was noticeable multi-path distortion while driving on AZ51 through north-central near the mountains. Audio quality is excellent and not over-processed like KESZ.

The signal reaches Prescott Valley/Chino Valley quite well but fades quickly
as you approach Prescott. Lots of multipath due to the Bradshaw Mountains
and Prescott's hilly terrain.

Improved Signal

95.1 FM, The Oasis, has appeared to modify it's signal into Prescott. It is now quite good in most parts of town. The improvement is quite
surprising.

I also noted this week there are now live jocks, who take live phone calls with requests. Nice addition to the station.....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom