• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

It's Official, "Radio Disney" Is Ending on WQEW This Fall

MTNProductions

Frequent Participant
It's happening! We have some good news that WQEW which has been running Radio Disney on 1560 for 15+ years is ending this fall. That is a good move for the station. Radio Disney is going to sell all of its radio properties, except in Los Angeles where it remains on the air. I hope that soon, I would consider WQEW to have an oldies format on 1560. I hope this is going to help.

The article is on that link.

http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/89717/radio-disney-to-sell-all-but-one-station/

It's happening! We have some good news that WQEW which has been running Radio Disney on 1560 for 15+ years is ending this fall. That is a good move for the station. Radio Disney is going to sell all of its radio properties, except in Los Angeles where it remains on the air. I hope that soon, I would consider WQEW to have an oldies format on 1560. I hope this is going to help.

The article is on that link.

http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/89717/radio-disney-to-sell-all-but-one-station/

Their radio properties are all AM stations. Should have dumped them a couple of years ago.

Maybe WQEW can flip back to Classical and simulcast WQXR! Heck, if there's classical on 1260 in Beverly Hills, KMZT, then maybe it can happen in NYC!

-crainbebo

It would be nice to bring back the Standards format that Radio Disney killed off. Kids aren't listening to AM radio, but their grandparents still are.

Or perhaps Pacifica should buy 1560 and sell 99.5, getting a boatload of cash in the process and a better signal for their very liberal talk format that covers a larger area at night.

It would be nice to bring back the Standards format that Radio Disney killed off. Kids aren't listening to AM radio, but their grandparents still are.

Their grandparents are listening to WLTW and WCBS-FM.

Or perhaps Pacifica should buy 1560 and sell 99.5, getting a boatload of cash in the process and a better signal for their very liberal talk format that covers a larger area at night.

Never going to happen. Never.

And what about the people that will be unemployed?? You people are jerks! Some good news from WQEW?? This is real life....not some computer game!

If there is a group even smaller than those who listen to AM radio at night, it is the group who listens to far-away AM stations at night.

Maybe WQEW can flip back to Classical and simulcast WQXR! Heck, if there's classical on 1260 in Beverly Hills, KMZT, then maybe it can happen in NYC!

That limited coverage AM in the LA area is owned by a long-term broadcaster who still has his first station over 50 years later. The AM is fully amortized and paid for, and the owner has long liked the classical format. It represents very low costs.

On the other hand, buying WQEW would likely be in the $10 million dollar range. Figuring cost of money, rents, taxes, electricity, etc., the cost of operation without management and programming could be as much as $3 million.

And then there is the question of who would listen to classical on an AM when it is being done on FM? For WQXR to do that, it would have to produce about $5 million in annual donations per year to cover the costs and the operations.

At least Disney isn't selling my local affiliate (KDIS), which will become the national feed of the station.

Someone will get 1560, as it's 50kW. Most of the other Radio Disneys that had been sold off before have found new owners (the exception being a graveyard in New Orleans)

Still pacifica gives up 99.5 buys this and has what $20-30 mill left in the bank...but then its pacifica seems like they are all dying off or going senile.

These excerpts taken from the NYT 10-Q filed Nov 7, 2008.

Sale of WQEW-AM

On April 26, 2007, we sold WQEW-AM to Radio Disney, LLC (which had been providing substantially all of WQEW-AM programming through a time brokerage agreement) for $40 million. We recognized a pre-tax gain of $39.6 million ($21.2 million after tax) in the second quarter of 2007.

Last edited:
I would listen to classical on AM. I already do, and to be honest, I don't hear much difference with classical between AM and FM, except it sounds warmer on AM.

Someone will get 1560, as it's 50kW. Most of the other Radio Disneys that had been sold off before have found new owners (the exception being a graveyard in New Orleans)

Remember 50 kW on 1560 is about ad good as 2 kW on 550.

can Art Liu buy 1560 or does he own all the stations he can in NYC under FCC rules ?
he could sell a station & then buy 1560 .

Their grandparents are listening to WLTW and WCBS-FM.

Never going to happen. Never.

Actually, someone who wants 99.5 might buy WQEW, give it to Pacifica and then buy 99.5 at a discount. Isn't the way it went down years ago with 97.9 when it was WEVD? They moved to 1050.

Actually, someone who wants 99.5 might buy WQEW, give it to Pacifica and then buy 99.5 at a discount. Isn't the way it went down years ago with 97.9 when it was WEVD? They moved to 1050.

That presumes Pacifica is a willing seller, which it isn't.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom