• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Robin Williams, Oscar-Winning Actor, Dead at 63

I never would have thought he would die so young. He has starred in Mrs. Doubtfire, Hook, many comedies, the TV show Mork & Mindy (widely popular in the late 1970s)...RIP to a legend. My condolences to his family and friends are accepted.

-crainbebo

Williams was found with a belt around his neck and the other end of the belt over the top of a closed door. On the floor was a pocket knife with some blood on it. Williams had tried to slit his left wrist. At this morning's press conference, a reporter asked the Marin Count Sheriffs Department lieutenant, "Was there a suicide note?" The lieutenant responded, "We can't discuss the note...or a note." Hmm---he said "the" note and then quickly amended the statement. Hmm.

Conan O'Brien was taping his August 11 tv program when he was informed of Williams' death. After Conan broke the news to the studio audience, he, Andy Richter and guest Will Arnett paid tribute to Williams. All three, as could be expected, were highly emotional. Video is at http://www.aol.com/article/2014/08/...id7|htmlws-main-bb|dl10|sec1_lnk3&pLid=514158

A few days before Williams' death, Slate's Gist podcast had a very prescient interview on the link between comedy and mental health issues. Most funny people have endured emotional pain and suffering in their lives and most have "problems." Williams' history with booze and coke indicates he was one of these. And, yes, a lot of comedians die young and often not of "natural causes."

A lot us enjoyed his work. Few of us knew him or could have had any idea what he was going through.

"The Late Show" is in reruns this week, so no comment from David Letterman. Dave appeared on an episode of "Mork and Mindy" as a workshop guru, patterned after Werner Erhard.

Too bad he couldn't go out on a high note, instead of a bomb like "The Crazy Ones."

Judging by all the public responses I may be the only person in the world not to appreciate Williams' work. I have always thought he was way over the top and, as such, never watched him in movies, TV or stand-up. For some reason I am also not surprised he lost his mental balance. Like so many other performers who have one persona on stage and are completely different people off. It might be telling that he didn't share a bedroom with his wife, at least on his last night, and she wasn't even the one who discovered his body. He seemed to me to be a very tortured soul.

A few days before Williams' death, Slate's Gist podcast had a very prescient interview on the link between comedy and mental health issues. Most funny people have endured emotional pain and suffering in their lives and most have "problems." Williams' history with booze and coke indicates he was one of these. And, yes, a lot of comedians die young and often not of "natural causes."

A lot us enjoyed his work. Few of us knew him or could have had any idea what he was going through.

"The Late Show" is in reruns this week, so no comment from David Letterman. Dave appeared on an episode of "Mork and Mindy" as a workshop guru, patterned after Werner Erhard.

Too bad he couldn't go out on a high note, instead of a bomb like "The Crazy Ones."

I enjoyed "The Crazy Ones", just like last year's "Go On", with Mathew Perry.

I liked it when Robin would cut lose, but when he toned it down he really shined.

Sir, we will miss you, hope to see you on the other side.

I remember watching "RV" with Robin Williams (a 2006 film) years ago when it was out for rental on DVD. Good family comedy fun. All those wild campers in the Colorado Rockies...

-crainbebo

It did last a year, so that's not really a bomb.

An editorial in a local paper pointed out that at the same time he had such a talent for making us laugh, he wasn't happy himself.

I don't know when the last time was that I was so sad to hear about the death of a celebrity. But he could do anything. He didn't have to make us laugh because an actor he had so many more talents.

Last edited:
Fox News anchor Shepard Smith had to issue an apology for saying Robin Williams was a coward for committing suicide. The Debate.org website includes a discussion about whether suicide is cowardly. Two days after Williams' death, the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention issued a statement claiming that is is not. I present it here without comment:

Suicide Is Not Cowardly

Unfortunately, too much discussion around Robin Williams’s death by suicide has brought up questions like, Is suicide a selfish or cowardly act? Is it a choice? But the questions present us with an opportunity to educate the public and shape the discussion about suicide. Suicide is not a choice. Suicide is a health issue. Suicide can result if a mental illness—like major depression or bipolar disorder—goes untreated, in the same way that a patient can die from pneumonia if they go untreated. It’s especially important to be mindful of the way we discuss suicide because with mental illness, words matter. Telling a suicidal person that they are being selfish or cowardly does not inspire courage, it could even make them feel worse. It’s important to understand that people who are feeling suicidal do not choose to feel that way; their feelings are a symptom of their mental illness.

Research suggests that those who do attempt suicide are not thinking rationally. For example, one study found that lower levels of serotonin, a key factor in brain function related to behavioral control and decision-making, led to inability to make choices, impulsivity, and lack of flexibility. Karyn Beal, a member of AFSP’s Loss and Bereavement Council, writes that her daughter, Arlyn, died of Bipolar Disorder. "Her death was the result of a chemical imbalance and the way it controlled her," Karyn said. "It was not a rational choice." Those who have lost someone to suicide, or who have ever been suicidal, are in a unique position to speak out in our personal lives, as well as to the media. Together we can erase the stigma and spread the hopeful news that the mental illnesses that lead to suicide are treatable, and that suicide is preventable.

Robert Gebbia, CEO
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention

This makes me sick! These are the same idiots who go to military funerals with signs reading "God hates fags" and "We need more dead soldiers."

Westboro Baptist Church targets Robin Williams' funeral
The Huffington Post, Aug 16 2014 12:34 PM

A date for Robin Williams' funeral has not been set but the Westboro Baptist Church is reportedly gearing up for what many are calling a "disgusting" protest. The hate-spewing Christian group has a history of disrupting soldiers' funerals over its issues with homosexuality and now its latest target is only adding to the public outrage. It plans to picket the late comedian's funeral, condemning him for his divorces and for using his comedy to mock God. They also reportedly cited him as a "homosexual enabler."

Westboro has also recently taken to targeting major tech companies in Silicon Valley. It's made plans to protest outside of Facebook, Google, Pinterest, Twitter and several other social media moguls because of their outspoken support for the LGBT community. Oddly enough, Westboro actually announced it was picketing the tech companies via Twitter. But when Planting Peace heard about the church's outrageous plans to attack the beloved comedian's funeral service, it decided to challenge the church with a fundraiser. The nonprofit organization says Williams' reputation for giving back inspired them to do the same in his honor. It's giving the proceeds to the St. Jude Children's Hospital, an organization close to Williams.

Fox News anchor Shepard Smith had to issue an apology for saying Robin Williams was a coward for committing suicide. The Debate.org website includes a discussion about whether suicide is cowardly. Two days after Williams' death, the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention issued a statement claiming that is is not. I present it here without comment:

Smith's original statement was also used by Mush Loudmouth on his show...the next day, he was doing a WTF?? because of all the hammering he took because of it......Well, backpain drug abuser denier, when you show how much of a hypocrite you are, expect to be slammed..

This makes me sick! These are the same idiots who go to military funerals with signs reading "God hates fags" and "We need more dead soldiers."

Westboro Baptist Church targets Robin Williams' funeral
The Huffington Post, Aug 16 2014 12:34 PM

A date for Robin Williams' funeral has not been set but the Westboro Baptist Church is reportedly gearing up for what many are calling a "disgusting" protest. The hate-spewing Christian group has a history of disrupting soldiers' funerals over its issues with homosexuality and now its latest target is only adding to the public outrage. It plans to picket the late comedian's funeral, condemning him for his divorces and for using his comedy to mock God. They also reportedly cited him as a "homosexual enabler."

Westboro has also recently taken to targeting major tech companies in Silicon Valley. It's made plans to protest outside of Facebook, Google, Pinterest, Twitter and several other social media moguls because of their outspoken support for the LGBT community. Oddly enough, Westboro actually announced it was picketing the tech companies via Twitter. But when Planting Peace heard about the church's outrageous plans to attack the beloved comedian's funeral service, it decided to challenge the church with a fundraiser. The nonprofit organization says Williams' reputation for giving back inspired them to do the same in his honor. It's giving the proceeds to the St. Jude Children's Hospital, an organization close to Williams.

Williams often called himself Episcopalian....which I think his dad was....(As he said "Catholic Lite...with only half the guilt!")

It's a coincidence this movie aired when it did. I had taped it but didn't see it until after Williams died. The quotes are not exact but you get the idea. Will Smith plays the man calling 911. At least he is making an effort to do good by killing himself. He was on his cell phone when he killed his wife and six other people. The name of the movie was "Seven Pounds".

911. What is your emergency?
There's been a suicide.
Who is the victim?
I am.

I'm not sure why this is relevant but as I watched I thought of Williams.

And my timing was just right Saturday. I turned on the TV and it happened to be on "E.T." They were talking about his friendship with Christopher Reeve.

I guess they're together now.

I just found out the Emmys are on Monday. WHY? That's never been done.

It's a good thing I looked at the listings today. One local paper prints them on Thursday.

I am looking forward to the Robin Williams tribute. I guess they'll honor him at the Oscars too, because he was known more for his movies.

Okay, thanks. I need to remember to tape this. Not just for Robin and Billy, but because I want to see the whole show.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom