• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

More songs, less musical "self-gratification" in Calgary

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/08/01/quickhitz-calgary-amp/?__lsa=da2a-7b1d

You can't reply to Radio Spider threads, so here's this one. A month or so ago, I thought I saw an article by Jerry Del Colliano where he said his fantasy radio station would never play a song the way through, because that's how kids listen to Pandora/Spotify/YouTube today.

It ain't just kids. It's me, and I'm 54. When I listen to songs on YouTube, if it doesn't move me after a minute or so, it's off to the next thing. When I give a listen to some of the current hit product, even if it is good, if it's more than 4 minutes I start listening for good edit points. There are a lot of songs that have two and a half minutes of good hooks, and a solid minute or more of the a-fore mentioned musical "self-gratification."

So, is AMP radio's new format a flash in the pan, or an early adopter of a major trend?

This isn't new. There was once a station many years ago that played :30 second versions of songs, because they felt the listeners got bored to easily.

R

I also remember seeing a story about some guy in North Carolina who was doing edits on songs that were about 2 minutes each.

Seems like most of the really long songs out there derive most of their length from one or both of the following:

1) Long guitar (or other instrument) solos

OR

2) Excessive repeats of the chorus.

One of the few that I am aware of that does not do either of these is "Lyin' Eyes" by the Eagles. Even though I am not a diehard Eagles fan by any stretch of the imagination, this one just CAN'T be edited because it just doesn't sound right. I have heard the single edit, and don't like it.

Seems like most of the really long songs out there derive most of their length from one or both of the following:

1) Long guitar (or other instrument) solos

OR

2) Excessive repeats of the chorus.

One of the few that I am aware of that does not do either of these is "Lyin' Eyes" by the Eagles. Even though I am not a diehard Eagles fan by any stretch of the imagination, this one just CAN'T be edited because it just doesn't sound right. I have heard the single edit, and don't like it.
...or American Pie. Granted, it's the album version. Of course, if you go way back, there's always El Paso.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom