• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Casey Kasem Dies At Age 82

WMJI in Cleveland, Ohio runs "American Top 40, the '70" Sunday mornings from 9:00am - Noon. They used to air a re-run from 9:00pm-midnight on Sunday, and I wish they still did that, or ran the program at another time as I have to choose between it and "American Country Countdown" on sister station WGAR.

Casey Kasem: The Michigan Years

In most discussions of Casey Kasem, it has been nearly forgotten that Casey was born in raised in Southeastern Michigan, and spent time in the Detroit, Flint, and Fenton areas. He worked at various stations in Michigan, with sketchy details about some. I discussed with Casey on about three occasions his working at WAMM 1420 in Flint, which has been called by some his first DJ job. According to Casey, this was about 1957. He was also working at WJBK 1500 Detroit during this period, at night from 7:00-Midnight, an airshift that was associated with several "Jack The Bellboy" DJs at WJBK, such as Grand Funk Railroad founder Terry Knapp/Knight and Ed McKenzie. But Casey was not called Jack The Bellboy even though DJs before and after in the same time slot were. There are Surveys on ARSA from WJBK with Casey's picture and airshift shown. Casey could well have worked both WAMM, a daytimer, and fulltime WJBK the same day, as did a contemporary from Wayne State University and WDET-FM, "Frantic" Ernie "D" Durham, who worked simultaneously at WBBC 1330 Flint and WJLB 1400 Detroit during this same period, driving between two closely spaced airshifts before I-75 reduced commuting times to close to an hour. Ernie Durham was also an early partner in WAMM according to information found on David's archives. Ernie apparently hired Casey to work at WAMM. Casey and Ernie performed duties other than as Disk Jockeys at WDET and other stations, but WAMM and WJBK were apparently the first DJ type positions Casey had. He spent time during his early years with relatives in Flint near the now demolished Chevrolet Flint Manufacturing complex where his brother Mouner worked for many years, on McAras Ct., and worked for relatives at the Larry Hamady Grocery Store in Fenton, where his mother lived for many years.

Last edited:
Two months after his death, Casey has still not been interred. Today a Norwegian newspaper, VG, is reporting that he will be buried in one of Oslo's 20 cemeteries. It was not specified which one. A private investigator for Kerri Kasem has confirmed the report. And why would Jean Kasem have Casey's body buried in Oslo? That's a good question.....but there is no good answer. Here is what Casey's son Mike told the Hollywood Reporter:

"There is no connection my dad has with Norway. I don't know if Jean has any ties to Oslo. She certainly has never mentioned it in the last 35 years. Check the exhumation laws there; sounds like a possibility that is the reason she will bury him there. My dad deserves to be buried where he specifically asked to be buried: Forest Lawn. Everyone keeps asking for motives as to why Jean acts how she acts. I don't have an answer."

There ya go!

Those reports about Jean Kasem stealing Casey's body and leaving the country have turned out to be true. Today a Norwegian newspaper, VG, is reporting that Casey's body will be interred in one of Oslo's 20 cemeteries. It was not specified which one. A private investigator for Kerri Kasem has confirmed the report.
And why would Jean Kasem have Casey's body buried in Oslo? That's a good question.....but there is no good answer. Here is what Casey's son Mike told the Hollywood Reporter:

"There is no connection my dad has with Norway. I don't know if Jean has any ties to Oslo. She certainly has never mentioned it in the last 35 years. Check the exhumation laws there; sounds like a possibility that is the reason she will bury him there. My dad deserves to be buried where he specifically asked to be buried: Forest Lawn. Everyone keeps asking for motives as to why Jean acts how she acts. I don't have an answer."

Maybe she's just plain nuts?

Classic hits 'KQK in Memphis www.941kqk.com has AT40 the '80s on Sunday morning from 8:00 to 11:00 a.m. They formerly carried the '70s, but switched to the '80s sometime in the last year or so.
To correct, clarify, and amend (after listening to them this weekend): 'KQK carries AT40 the '70s on Saturday mornings from 8:00 to 11:00 central time, and AT40 the '80s on Sunday mornings from 8:00 to 11:00, also central time.

There is a quote from a woman by the name of Martha, who replied to Jesus when He said to roll away the stone from Lazarus tomb after he was dead four days, "Lord, he stinketh by now". Too bad his daughter, Kerri, said while he was still alive that the wife could have the body.

Since there doesn't seem to be one anywhere on the internet, I thought it would be good to have a list of stations carrying the old reruns of AT40. Here's some that I know about:

The 80s:
96.1 WSRS Worcester, MA
102.3 WSUS Sussex, NJ
92.1 Lite FM Poughkeepsie, NY
Mix 98.9 Youngstown, OH

The 70s:
94.5 3WS Pittsburgh, PA
Oldies 106.1 Youngstown, OH

Anyone know of any others?

Here are a couple of lists I use.

The 70's

http://at40fg.proboards.com/thread/3747/at40-70s-station-list-2014

The 80's

http://at40fg.proboards.com/thread/3712/at40-80s-station-list-2014

In my area the following stations carry the classic AT40 Countdowns

Rutland, VT
WSYB 1380 AM has AT 40 the 70's Sunday 9AM-Noon www.wsyb1380am.com
WJJR 98.1 FM has AT 80 the 80's Sunday Noon-4PM www.wjjr.net

Springfiled, VT

WCFR 1480 AM/106.5 FM (a translator) carries the 70's and 80's starting at Noon on Sunday back to back. (pre-empted this time of year because they are a Red Sox affiliate but continued on their webstream) www.springfieldsvariety.com

Woodstock VT/Walpole NH

WWOD 93.9 FM (Woodstock) and WFYX 96.3 FM carry AT40 the 80's Saturdays from 6 AM - 10 AM www.koolnh.com

All of these stations are on the tunein app as well.

I listen to the Classic AT40 channel on iheart radio but it is getting redundant. They have added very few countdowns since the channel was launched at the end of May.

Does anyone know if the AT40 the 70's or AT40 the 80's are on in the Tampa area. I am headed down there for a week in October...

A station I used to voicetrack for in Conneaut OH airs AT40 The 70s, Saturday mornings at 6am and reruns it Sundays at Noon Eastern, www.1360wwow.com.

Casey Kasem will not be interred in Norway. Casey's daughter Kerri started a petition demanding that Casey's widow respect his wish to be buried at Forest Lawn in Los Angeles. Kerri got 23,200 signatures and the Oslo funeral home announced on September 29 that they will not bury Casey's body. Next step: getting the body returned. And then: a likely battle with Jean Kasem. Casey doesn't deserve this!

http://www.etonline.com/news/151852_norway_funeral_home_refuses_to_bury_casey_kasem/index.html

I reckon there is something to be said for the iron clad contract demanding to be donated, where they do their research, cook you and send you on your way to wherever you specified.

Last edited:
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Clifford Klein declared on November 19 that the law makes it clear that Jean Kasem has the authority to dispose of Casey's body as she wishes, as long as she does not "ignore the matter and do nothing." Klein denied the request of Casey's three eldest children who sought an order directing Norwegian officials to return the body so Casey could be buried at Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills.

Okay, Jean. Now what?

An "exclusive" story in the National Enquirer says that Jean Kasem may have clogged Casey's feeding tube, "triggering a potentially fatal 
medical emergency." The Los Angeles District Attorney’s office is investigating allegations of elder abuse and may file charges against Jean.

Private investigator Logan Clarke Clarke told the Enquirer, "We have statements – and so do the police – from nurses about Jean and the way she allegedly treated her husband. When Jean took Casey out [of the California nursing home], she was told, 'You cannot disconnect him from his feeding tube – if you do, he will die!' The tube was surgically implanted in his stomach, so she took the feeding machine. They let her take it because it was the only thing that would keep Casey alive!" Jean ran out of the proper food so she bought some Ensure (a nutrition drink) and poured it into the machine. Clarke said, "It broke the machine and then Casey’s colostomy bag apparently began filling up with blood!"

I can't be 100% certain but I'm thinkin' that elder abuse charges will be filed against Jean. And where the heck is she? Why is she not responding to all these charges and accusations? Is she in hiding?

Last edited:
From the National Enquirer. That's a reliable source.
Casey is dead.
He was in the final stages of dementia when he died.
Why not let the whole thing rest?

Casey's body has still not been interred and some sources say the body has not even been embalmed. Casey launched American Top 40 in 1970 and the weekly countdown program was heard in almost every city in the US. I imagine that if Casey was not so well known, his death and the ongoing legal battles would not be such big news. The Enquirer also gave a lot of coverage to the death of James Brown (December 25, 2006) and the delays in his interment and the legal battles between Brown's six children and the woman who he had married after he wrote his will. And then there was Robin Williams.....

It's baaack!

Where is Chevy Chase when you need him:

Casey Kasem remains dead.

Fred, I'm not sure how to interpret that sentence. Is "remains" a verb...or a noun? :)

Fred, I'm not sure how to interpret that sentence. Is "remains" a verb...or a noun? :)

I guess I should explain the Chevy Chase reference: Spanish dictator Francisco Franco was dying and for several weeks, NBC News (and others) ran Franco is near death stories night after night. Chevy Chase was doing Weekend Update on SNL and after Franco finally died after an extended illness. led off each week announcing "Francisco Franco remains dead." It became a standing joke, even when Chevy came back later to host.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom