• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Can anyone identify these Aberdeen/Grays Harbour radio towers?

fordranger797

Star Participant
Lets say that you are driving into Grays Harbor on Highway 12, coming down the hill and into the "bowl". If you look across the Chehalis River and over the harbour, you notice three distinct towers spread out on top of a hill. I was always under the impression that these towers were for all emergency/broadcast media in Aberdeen, but it seems that the exact location (according to Radio-Locator) of the radio transmission sites are much further to the east than any of these towers. Do these towers have anything to do with broadcast radio in Aberdeen?

BossBill probably knows, but they look to me like they started as cell towers. A lot of them are now owned by a couple of companies that make their money by leasing space. That might account for the variety of stuff on those guys.

No broadcast on those towers.

Re: The two that are close together - One is VERIZON and is a Verizon cell tower. The other is AMERICAN TOWER and has a couple of cellular carriers on it. Those two towers are next to each other. The third tall tower, at a separate location, us US CELLULAR, and has only US Cellular on it.

Going south on 101 from Aberdeen, over Cosi Hill, look to your right and you may see five towers in the same general area. This is where 4 local FMs reside:

150' self-supporting - PUD communications tower and has broadcast on it as well. KANY/KSWW and FM translators
150' guyed - Day Wireless - no broadcast
Wooden tripod - communications plus KDUX
150' guyed tower - KXXK, KDUX aux, FM translators
150' guyed tower - communications

No broadcast on those towers.

Re: The two that are close together - One is VERIZON and is a Verizon cell tower. The other is AMERICAN TOWER and has a couple of cellular carriers on it. Those two towers are next to each other. The third tall tower, at a separate location, us US CELLULAR, and has only US Cellular on it.

Going south on 101 from Aberdeen, over Cosi Hill, look to your right and you may see five towers in the same general area. This is where 4 local FMs reside:

150' self-supporting - PUD communications tower and has broadcast on it as well. KANY/KSWW and FM translators
150' guyed - Day Wireless - no broadcast
Wooden tripod - communications plus KDUX
150' guyed tower - KXXK, KDUX aux, FM translators
150' guyed tower - communications

Thanks a million for the info, Bill. I thought those towers were yours for the longest time.

If I only owned one of those 300' towers... I'd have it full of broadcast FMs.

If I only owned one of those 300' towers... I'd have it full of broadcast FMs.

That would probably give you some insane coverage into west Jefferson County, as well as northern Pacific County as well. I assume you already use combiners on your current tower.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom