60's Music Gone From WCBS-FM - Page 2
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 60's Music Gone From WCBS-FM

What's unfortunate (I'm not arguing it's unnecessary, that's another discussion) is that the music on terrestrial radio is selected based on stats, not on taste.

When music is chosen for a movie, there's often no discernible correlation between the songs. When they were written, who performed them, what demo they "resonate with" and all the other stuff that radio programmers pour all over is all over the place. They're GOOD SONGS -- that's the bottom line -- and they fit the mood of the action that's on the screen at the time. That's called "creativity" and it doesn't exist anymore on commercial radio. I'm not sure it exists in the online world of Pandora and Spotify either.

Creativity is prone to failure, but when it succeeds it succeeds big time and moves things forward. Programming by numbers maintains the status quo, but stagnation sets in followed by decline. But it's always safest in the short term.

Like I said at the top, if you want to hear the music from the 50's and 60's music that WCBS-FM usually plays before "Jack", I recommend to the following links:

http://wgny.tunegenie.com/#listenlive
    http://player.streamtheworld.com/_pl...allsign=WROWAM
    http://www.streamlicensing.com/stati...und/listen.asx

These are the three links to listen to those great oldies on the station, and these will bring a lot of listeners from the loss of WCBS-FM, but as of now, WCBS-FM is now a 70's and 80's station with soon-to-be one 90's song an hour. Hopefully you should find some place else on the dial in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by L Chanon Gade View Post
    There are so many options you now have to get your music free, and free of commercials and other irrelevancies, why bother with commercial radio at-all.
    Except that the companies that own the music also want to make money from consumers. They're suing Sirius and Pandora demanding high royalties for all music recorded before 1972. It's possible that if there isn't some compromise, 60s music will also disappear from all digital platforms.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...ora-pre-697327

Quote Originally Posted by wadio View Post
    Programming by numbers maintains the status quo, but stagnation sets in followed by decline. But it's always safest in the short term.

Actually programming by the numbers results in CHANGE, not status quo. Fans of 60s music want WCBS to retain status quo and not change.

Quote Originally Posted by Musicradio77Network View Post
    Like I said at the top, if you want to hear the music from the 50's and 60's music that WCBS-FM usually plays before "Jack", I recommend to the following links:
    If the lawsuit by the record labels is successful, 50s and 60s music will likely disappear from all digital streams.

Actually programming by the numbers results in CHANGE, not status quo. Fans of 60s music want WCBS to retain status quo and not change.
    By "status quo" I'm referring to programming by the numbers vs. programming according to content without particular regard to demos. You're referring to status quo within the numbers. Different animals.

By "status quo" I'm referring to programming by the numbers vs. programming according to content without particular regard to demos. You're referring to status quo within the numbers. Different animals.
    Maybe, but the audience is constantly in flux. So you can't ignore the demos. Every day, you get older, so you are not status quo. A movie is a different platform, where people are paying to experience fiction. If you were paying for the radio listening experience, that would be comparable.

Sure, but whatever you program is a risk. Generally, the more risk the more potential reward. Radio isn't taking risks, and it's not getting big rewards.

Sure, but whatever you program is a risk. Generally, the more risk the more potential reward. Radio isn't taking risks, and it's not getting big rewards.
    Aren't we talking about WCBS-FM here? They seem to be getting huge rewards from what I can see, beating lots of other stations that are programming more current music. Those stations playing the current music are the ones taking risks with new songs, not WCBS-FM.

I was actually speaking more generally, responding to a post that wasn't strictly about CBS-FM. But you're right. From what I hear CBS-FM has been billing great. With the 60's music. ;-)

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast