• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

60's Music Gone From WCBS-FM

The usable signal for an AM (generally noise free and listenable indoors as well as in the car) is actually inside the innermost red circle on the radio-locator maps. This station does not come close to reaching Canada except as a DX target.

Their signal in Montreal is surprisingly good. It's more than strong enough to trip the seek function on my G8 whenever I'm visiting family there, and I'd say it's listenable to non dxers, being just below local strength. Here in Ottawa it's a dx target. If your radio gets it in my neighbourhood, the radio is excellent. Out where my parents live on the east side of the city is where it starts coming in.

Sort of back on topic, replying to some earlier posts. The Jack station in Greensboro NC played "Satisfaction" by The Stones, which of course is from the 60s. With no full-power classic hits station, 98.7 Simon is the de facto oldies station.

Their signal in Montreal is surprisingly good. It's more than strong enough to trip the seek function on my G8 whenever I'm visiting family there, and I'd say it's listenable to non dxers, being just below local strength. Here in Ottawa it's a dx target. If your radio gets it in my neighbourhood, the radio is excellent. Out where my parents live on the east side of the city is where it starts coming in.

What is receivable in a car is no indication of what is receivable inside homes and workplaces. In today's noisy environments, a signal of no less than 5 mV/m is needed to penetrate walls and overcome man-made noise. In many places, 10 to 15 mV/m is required.

95% of measured indoor listening... which is the majority of listening still... takes place within the 10 mV/m signal area.

Stations just below "local strength" just don't get any listening.

Last edited:
What then is the purpose of a station using multiple cities in their COL?

Multi-city IDs first began where suburban licensed stations wanted to be identified with the big city... KXXX Tolleson-Phoenix or KYYY Chandler-Phoenix or WAAA Homestead-Miami.

Then stations wanted to include significant listening ares, such as KZZZ Dallas-Ft. Worth or KWWW McAllen-Brownsville and even KVVV Los Angles-Orange County.

One of the most common ones, besides the Dallas-Ft Worth example, is to identify as Miami-Ft. Lauderdale or Ft. Lauderdale-Miami.

What is receivable in a car is no indication of what is receivable inside homes and workplaces. In today's noisy environments, a signal of no less than 5 mV/m is needed to penetrate walls and overcome man-made noise. In many places, 10 to 15 mV/m is required.

95% of measured indoor listening... which is the majority of listening still... takes place within the 10 mV/m signal area.

Stations just below "local strength" just don't get any listening.

We all know they're not targeting Montreal, but they are heard quite well there. I've never heard it on a car radio, just the small one I bring with me on trips, and other radios in the houses I've been to have been able to get it. Their previous formats did have listeners in Montreal. We all know how the radio locator maps are not really that accurate, the one for this stations is extremely conservative. It's not CJAD strength, but it's good enough in the city. Since the station skews really old in it's music, I'm not sure how much they can sell it, except as part of a combo buy. I find it kind of odd that they flipped to music that has been dropped by oldies stations over the past few years.

One of the most common ones, besides the Dallas-Ft Worth example,
is to identify as Miami-Ft. Lauderdale or Ft. Lauderdale-Miami.
I remember when a station in the city of Palm Beach,
which is also in Palm Beach county, identified thusly:
"WRMF, Palm Beach-Broward-Dade"

(Was that the 1060 station, ai4i ?)

* Somewhat * associated might be the time I was re-doing my house up here.
By the time I got done re-arranging the house there wasn't a single inside wall panel remaining, and you know how it is; once you start a repetitive task that you aren't that familiar with, you do work up a fluency of sorts and don't wanna compromise the momentum.
So I turned on the GE SR II and tuned it to 99.1, for some jazz around the fitful lunchtime.
99.1 out of Pottsville, about 7 miles south of here, is a translator for WRTI 90.1 in Philly. Good signal. At the time WRTI was all-jazz 24/7. The midday host was a gal DJ.
I'm tinkering and puttering and eating and drilling and sometimes cursing, when the gal comes out of some Maynard Ferguson song. Life is full.
Then she says something about 'Jazz 99'. I go, 'Wait a second. You're not supposed to be saying Jazz 99. WRTI's frequency is 90.1! Yeah, okay -- I'm LISTENING to 99.1, but your frequency is 90.1, Missy.'
She then goes into some lunchtime request promo, and gives out two phone numbers. One was for Dade County and one was for Broward County.
Then it hit me. Duh, Green.
A check with information turned up a Jazz 99.1 in Miami FL and I called them. The gal DJ answered the phone and probably thought I was just some honky nut from Pennsylvania. She wasn't impressed. But I was getting my wonderful lunchtime jazz -- not from Pottsville but from a thousand miles farther on. And I'm sure that the E-Skip would've brought in Jazz 99 from Miami on a radio of even lesser quality. I didn't scour the dial for more DX catches. I went back to work on the house.

There are many stations who obliterate their actual COL under a blizzard of other, more prestigious communities. The one that comes first to mind through any of my actual sustained listening listen-at-work was the Modern Rock WJSE, 102.7, Petersburg NJ. Who the devil ever heard of 'Petersburg' New Jersey' ? And I guess the owners weren't all that thrilled with the local tissue paper stuck to their shoes, either.
Their TOH ID went a quick 'WJSE (petersb ...) ATLANTIC CITY's Howard Stern and modern rock digital 102 - 7 !!!'

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom