• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How does the processing work when a radio station is utilizing an HD signal?

fordranger797

Star Participant
If the audio is delayed by up to 10 seconds, how is it possible for the air personality to hear the live programming through the studio headset? I would think that there would have to be some sort of additional audio processor that would create the illusion of a live signal in order for the DJ to not receive a strange echo through the headphones.

Most HD-oriented processors have a separate audio pathway for in-studio monitoring just for that reason. Of course, this is just one of the things that makes "HD Radio" a debacle to begin with...

Local jocks are becoming a thing of the past since voice tracking has become the norm. I would guess those who do have VT jobs simply listen to the program audio, since they won't have the ability to hear the off air signal of the stations they VT for.

R

15-20 years ago, it was a problem then with any delay needed (especially rock stations to keep the F bomb off the air)....having to run another processing chain is costly...so most usually just do a simple second chain with limiting and maybe some compression but nothing like over the air....

My understanding is that the air talent listen to audio fed back through the board, pre-processing for most of their work. Even in the days prior to HD radio, I don't recall hearing audio from the board that was from the transmitter unless they called it up on purpose for some reason, like to check if the station was still on the air during a thunderstorm. They of course can still do that now, it's just 6-10 seconds behind, so don't do it while the mic is cracked or you'll wind up in a time warp. :p

In our case everyone listens to "program out" on the board. The studio monitors are that way also. We have a silent sensor alarm that alerts the operator if there's more than 30 seconds of dead air.

Dave B.

Local jocks are becoming a thing of the past since voice tracking has become the norm. I would guess those who do have VT jobs simply listen to the program audio, since they won't have the ability to hear the off air signal of the stations they VT for.

R

IBOC is becoming a thing of the past also although writing that implies that it had it's time, which it didn't.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom