• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

87.7 Heard in Mira Mesa

rg1717

I keep hearing Radio Guadalupe in the Mira Mesa area and the RDS on my radio says KSFV which is in San Fernando. It looks like they have an FM on 87.7 but channel 6 as I know is the 87.7 audio. I can only get it a few miles once I head away towards Clalremont is fades out. Any info on this?

Radio Guadalupe is a low-power television station broadcasting Spanish-language religious programming on analog channel 6 and digital channel 63.2 KBEH. They simulcast on 87.7 KSFV in San Fernando. The FM has no translator stations...and you can hear it in Mira Mesa? How is the sound? Here in Glendale I can get the station but it sounds as though it's being run through the saliva-sucking tube at the dentist's office. Along with the programming I hear "shlooosh-shlooosh-shlsssshh-whoooossshhh-shlssh-shlooooosssshhhh..."

You can listen online at https://guadaluperadio.com/

The sound is like someone is re-broadcasting it here in town for a like a 8 mile radius. Sounds clear

KSFV is on 87.75, and is broadcasting in stereo. This is a "Franken-FM" where it's being used primarily as an FM-only station. It's operating out of compliance with FCC rules. "FM" stereo is not authorized, and audio level is to be limited to 55khz deviation. This audio is 75khz, and matches KKJZ in modulation level.
Apparently, weather conditions are helping to duct the 500w signal, even to east San Diego county.
(Channel 6 XETV is on digital 23 now.)
Has anyone ever listened to the similar KCIO-LP Victorville 87.7 operation?

Actually, the TV rules do not prohibit FM style stereo (19 kHz pilot, etc)...the rules only mandate what the pilot should be if the BTSC format (TV stereo) is used...

TV analog audio is supposed to be limited to 25 kHz deviation....you are correct that FM is 75 kHz..most Franken FMs run 87.7 instead of 87.75 audio....which is technically illegal...but the FCC doesn't seem to worry since analog TV is going away for good next year with all low power/Class As required to go digital (a lot of the low powers will likely go away with the repacking the FCC is proposing...that or they will lease a digital subchannel off a full power or Class A stations)

Yep...Burt does make a good case!! and its been argued in many broadcast engineering forums, etc...However, the FCC does seem to be more interested in other issues like interference.....the Frankens have taken a back seat (gotta set priorities somewhere)...trust me, what Burt says is preaching to the choir ;) As long as the stations dont cause interference and do the visual thing legally (and noone complains), they wont get busted.

The major markets Frankens do run visual (Chicago had an alternative format on theirs...but it moved..now its WGN being carried on the LP Franken)......other market stations may get away without it....one in Lafayette, La is running its visual with a fixed slide (shades of the old CATV "local" weather channel days with a camera fixed on a weather instrument package! :rolleyes:)....they recently moved the format to a real FM station up the band but the Franken is still simulcasting...probably to get in line before the analog shutdown in 2015.

As a little sidenote, the FCC finally removed from its database an UHF LP licensed to Beaumont, TX...had been on the books for over 10 years....as a 100KW ERP on 39....but the station was never on the air NOR had been built...though a license to cover had been issued...there was pure perjury (no NAL issued)....the tower site listed was a Kinder Morgan microwave site....and a friend of mine is the tech who maintains that site...has since the 1980s....and he never saw a TV station on it! Nice of the FCC to finally catch up with it...yet the same FCC allowed a LD on 4 to move from a small town in SE Texas (Woodville) to a 2000 ft tower between Houston and Beaumont (that Clear Channel owned and never saw the LD-4 on it nor was it ever built in Woodville), and now has allowed them to move the license (not CP or app) to downtown Houston...all without ever being on the air....

Go figure :)

This "Frankenstation" in Mira Mesa would seemingly have a way better signal that KNSJ will ever have!

In North Park I hear an oldies station on 87.7. Does anyone know where it is coming from? It's a Mexican station playing 60's 70's

It was on 88.7. XHITT-FM - Radio Technologico. Was listening when I picked up my daughter from the airport. They're a public radio station that any given time plays just about anything. Reminds me of the old KSDS-FM prior to their conversion to jazz in 1973.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom