• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

50 Ways To Leave Your Station (Involuntarily - Permanently or Temporarily)

F

FredLeonard

Some current discussion about WEEI, Boston's week-long suspension of Kirk Minihane after his comment about Fox Sports sideline reporter. But this has been going on for some time.

01. Imus and his remark about "nappy headed hos."
02. Rush and his remark that Iggles quarterback Donovan McNabb was over-rated by the sports press.

I was listening to a "standards/easy listening" audio stream and they played Little Anthony and the Imperials' "Hurt So Bad" (which I was surprised to hear in that format) but it reminded me...

03. Dick Biondi suspended by WLS for dedicating the song to virgins.

Any more classic pink slip bait?

04. "I quit dis b**ch". I still play that one back in my head when I get really wound up...

I realize that's not an involuntary way to leave, but it is a classic nonetheless. Probably deserves its own list.

Last edited:
Or when you get demoted for no good reason after an ownership change and you REALLY let upper level management know you were unhappy and the demotion was not fair.(and it wasn't)

My best was being dropped from Station Manager to Programming Director because of 'my programming direction' for the station, an excuse to fire me two weeks later. It really was the worst place I ever worked. It made me second guess my career choice it was so bad. The managing partner, my boss, was nabbed some time later for pocketing those orders he could sell for cash payment which was quite a substantial amount after a few years.

I got unexpected revenge a couple of months later: the guy they brought in as the new station manager was actually on the lamb, saving money in this border city before (hopefully) bolting over the border to escape prosecution for the death of a person he hit driving drunk in another state. Bounty hunters caught him 'on the job'. Granted he was much more talented than I was but man, that was sweet. I was selling for the competition at that point in time.

When I got on with the competitor, they just knew an employee loyal to me somehow lifted my non-compete from the Managing Partner's office but the truth was I just didn't like the words and when asked for it I'd make an excuse of having a call holding or something like that and they'd forget about it for a while. I never did sign one.

For me it hurt a bit because it was the AM/FM combo I actually grew up listening too. Yes it was small market radio but at the time the entire staff(on air and sales) had been there for a long time so being able to get into that station was nice. It was close to home too so I was able to keep up with the goings on because I saw family very often. FWIW since I left the on air staff has become VERY inexperienced with only one vet left from when I left. And he'll never leave because in part he has family in the area and more importantly the entire listening audience might riot in protest if he left. He's that popular there

The station I mentioned earlier hired a friend to do sales. He was there about 3 months and making nice inroads. When the 15th came around, he found his paycheck on his desk. He continued working and when the 1st came around and he didn't find his paycheck, he asked. They told him they terminated him on the 15th and left a letter on his desk saying so when they put his paycheck on his desk on the 15th. Considering he interacted with those who 'fired him' those two weeks and actually wrote up a few orders, management never said a word. They never produced that termination letter either.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom