• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOR IBOC Carrier Off For Over A Week

That's a lot compared to the price of an FM chip, and cell phone companies don't want to activate the FM chips.

An even more significant issue is the power consumption of the HD chip, which has been reported to be considerably higher than analog AM and FM chips, making it a real negative for mobile devices. And I have not seen any reports indicating that the power consumption has been reduced in recent years.

That's a lot compared to the price of an FM chip, and cell phone companies don't want to activate the FM chips.

I have a Samsung S5 w/o contract. There is no FM capability. From what I've read, Samsung stopped including analog radio after the S3 citing it's lack of use (however they determined that).

Chan/NYC

Yeah, well, at the time I wasn't taking notes. He also said the company is profitable primarily due to receiver sales, and (obviously) wouldn't comment on the Continental Automotive legal wrangling nor GM's dropping of HD from some models.

As I like to dx. Please leave the useless RF noise makers off. I can actually receive WLW with a good signal again at night. I am in NJ closer to Philly than NYC.

We have to have digital broadcasting eventually.
Will another platform ever be able to win both regulatory and public acceptance?
As a fourteen year satellite radio subscriber, with all of its digital compression artifacts,
I cannot tolerate anything short of an infinite S/N ratio and find heavy audio processing to be completely off the table.

We have to have digital broadcasting eventually.

If you ask most any Millenial, we already have digital broadcasting and it is available on any smartphone.

I remember my first transistor radio from 1958. It cost $79, which is the equivalent of about $650 today, so the objections some posters make about cost are really disingenuous.

Last edited:
I cannot tolerate anything short of an infinite S/N ratio and find heavy audio processing to be completely off the table.
Infinite S/N ratio is exactly what we have on today's internet radio streams. The result is audio levels that are all over the place. Processing can be a good thing -- in fact it's essential -- as long as it's gradual to achieve leveling rather than "pumping."

Processing can be a good thing...as long as it's gradual to achieve leveling rather than "pumping."
I did specify that I "find heavy audio processing to be completely off the table".
The most natural way to control the level is to set the absolute loudest note to reach 100%,
I believe this is how recording studios do it.
I just do not like using it to overcome noise levels and/or to be the "loudest guy on the block".

I believe this is how recording studios do it.

Depends on the genre. Most popular music genres are recorded with a massive level of processing. It's become a big thing in recording today. Lots of money made in just the type of processing being done on the music. A lot of radio stations have to work for their own processing to match the quality of the music. The goal is usually to have all elements sound about the same when listening in a car. But if the music is smashed within an inch of its life, and the other content elements have wide dynamic range, you'll be adjusting volume levels in your car all the time.

The most natural way to control the level is to set the absolute loudest note to reach 100%
If you're referring to "brick wall" limiting, it's actually the opposite of what you want -- it squashes the dynamic range whenever the average level is higher than 100%.

In theory the limiter should be set to react to notes exceeding 100% and reduce the overall level accordingly, not reduce every note that exceeds 100%. But in practice you do need to reduce the dynamic range. Otherwise listening in a noisy environment would be out of the question.

But if the music is smashed within an inch of its life, and the other content elements have wide dynamic range, you'll be adjusting volume levels in your car all the time.
This is what most of the major market broadcasters are doing.
Online streams are still able to maintain crisp momentary peaks.
Processing at the source is OK, not when it is done after-the-fact.

BTW...I recently had a car radio with a great feature called speed volume.
I do not know if it was linked to the speedometer,
but I could set it to get louder as I sped up and softer as I slowed down.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom