• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dance/EDM Radio Update - July/Aug 2014

raydiodude

Frequent Participant
I remember always coming to this board in the past - it was always alive with the latest dance music news and rumors. I was surprised to come here over the past few weeks and find a TON of positive dance radio news missing. So I thought I would at least attempt to catch everyone up:

- EVOLUTION BOSTON ENDS: While it was certainly sad to see, and a blow to the potential growth of the EDM format, Clear Channel flipped Evolution 101.7/Boston to country. This despite the fact that the station's 6+ ratings were increasing (WEDX-FM Dance Clear Channel 0.8 0.9 1.1 1.2 1.2 1.2) Having a 1.2 share with a niche format in a large market like Boston isn't bad at all, especially considering that Evolution had a top 40/mainstream, top 40/rhythmic & a rhythmic AC competitors.

- EVOLUTION HONOLULU BEGINS: In early July, Clear Channel launched Evolution 99.1 (K256AS- a relay transmitter simulcasting KHJZ HD2.) www.facebook.com/evolutionhawaii

- EVOLUTION EXPANDS: "Evolution with Pete Tong", the hour long EDM show syndicated on Clear Channel Top 40 stations joins forces with Beatport.com and expands to two hours starting next week. The new show called "Evolution Beatport Show with Pete Tong" will feature exclusive music from Beatport, EDM news from Beatport plus continue with Pete's Essential New Tune and guest mixes of the week. This comes as part of a new partnership between Clear Channel and SFX earlier this year. SFX is the parent company of Beatport.

- EVOLUTION BECOMES AN OWNER: Totally unrelated to the Clear Channel/iHeartRadio "Evolution", Evolution Broadcasting became the owner of EDM formatted 93.9 PLAY FM/Panama City (FM translator W227CE). Back in January of this year, Panama City Beach nightclub owner Patrick Pfeffer (Club LaVela) had LMA'd the station from Magic Broadcasting and launched the EDM format on it. Now operating as Evolution Broadcasting, Pfeffer buys it for just $150,000

Well, as long as EDM continues to make inroads at mainstream and rhythmic radio, I don't see this genre dying off anytime soon.

Jelli 96.7 in Las Vegas is now Pulse 96.7 as of the beginning of July. It's the same as the Pulse 87 NY web stream, voice-tracked from New York City, delayed 3 hours for the time zone difference. The music and on-air presentation is decent.

I remember always coming to this board in the past - it was always alive with the latest dance music news and rumors. I was surprised to come here over the past few weeks and find a TON of positive dance radio news missing. So I thought I would at least attempt to catch everyone up:

- EVOLUTION BOSTON ENDS: While it was certainly sad to see, and a blow to the potential growth of the EDM format, Clear Channel flipped Evolution 101.7/Boston to country. This despite the fact that the station's 6+ ratings were increasing (WEDX-FM Dance Clear Channel 0.8 0.9 1.1 1.2 1.2 1.2) Having a 1.2 share with a niche format in a large market like Boston isn't bad at all, especially considering that Evolution had a top 40/mainstream, top 40/rhythmic & a rhythmic AC competitors.

Clear channel never put any real money into it. It was just a canned broadcast of an internet station. With a couple of local mix shows thrown in for the hell of it. The music was very European in style and had very little local flavor. It sounded more like a pirate station than commercial. Besides pop stations are adding a lot of EDM like Hideaway Kiesza to their regular rotation and their mix shows. Do we really need a 24 hr EDM station?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom