• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Should CBS flip to sports on 1210 AM in Philly ?

J

Jul

Now that KFWB is going all sports via CBS Sports radio, should CBS do the same with 1210 AM WPHT in Philly, having a sports format to replace political talk, even though they have 2 sports stations already. What do you guys think?

Julius, you have made it clear that you don't care what anyone thinks. People try to give you reasonable, often well-informed responses. You pay no attention. You keep saying the same thing over and over.

You have three threads currently active on this topic. Do you really think haranguing will change anyone's mind?

You have promised, several times, to stop posting on this topic and you keep breaking your word.

Julius, you're not amusing any more.

I think they should flip to a format that covers Field Hockey and Ping Pong Exclusively.

Fan, maybe you can fill us in on sports talk in the Detroit market, which seems to have what Julius wants for Philly. CBS has the dominant sports talk station and sits on top of the share numbers. Like Philly, Greater Media has a largely ESPN station which hovers around a one share (in Philly they hover around two). And then Clear Channel has a Fox Sports station and CBS Sports runs on an AM station (like WIP AM610 in Philly) and those two barely register.

There's a similar pattern in other markets but the pattern seems to be: One, established sports talk can make out like a bandit. A second one can get by OK (probably as good or better than right-wing talk currently). Any more - forget about it.

But let's not confuse Julius was facts.

You've basically nailed it, Fred. The dominant station gets the prime pro broadcasts and dominates the format for the market. Greater Media flipped their AC to Sports on 105.1 and has averaged less than a 1 share even despite having a local afternoon drive time show hosted by a well known, very popular former DJ (the show is sports oriented). While they've gotten the rights to the NBAs Pistons, I don't see this having a great deal of impact.

Three other stations have a Sports format, consisting of Yahoo! Sports (1090), CBS Sports Radio (National Feed, 1270) and Fox Sports Radio (1130).

This is entirely too much, even for a sports crazy town like Detroit. There simply is not enough interest to sustain so much TALKING about sports.

There would be nothing to gain, for anyone, by WPHT flipping to sports. There would be no quality content to provide.

I'm curious, Julius, if they were to flip, which will not happen, what programming do you envision the station carrying?

Three other stations have a Sports format, consisting of Yahoo! Sports (1090), CBS Sports Radio (National Feed, 1270) and Fox Sports Radio (1130).

But are any of them owned by the same company?

That's the issue here. Not too many sports stations. It's too many owned by the same company. There would be nothing to gain by CBS in having two AM sports stations in the same town. All they're doing is cannibalizing their own station. Like opening a second McDonalds across the street.

I'm curious, Julius, if they were to flip, which will not happen, what programming do you envision the station carrying?
I would be in favor of KYW moving to 1210 and CBS shutting off 1060 AM or selling it.

I would be in favor of KYW moving to 1210 and CBS shutting off 1060 AM or selling it.

We've also discussed that before, and the reasons against it are: KYW's signal is better in critical areas, and the dial location is already identified with KYW.

But the biggest reason against it is they'd be throwing away $9 million dollars in revenue.

Last edited:
CBS Owns 97.1, the Detroit leader in Sports and 1270. The rest are owned by other companies. I disagree with your analysis though, there's WAY too much of this format on the dial. Two, at most, for a market like Detroit, and even then, unless the teams are divided between the two, one will do well while the other will flounder.

CBS Owns 97.1, the Detroit leader in Sports and 1270. The rest are owned by other companies. I disagree with your analysis though, there's WAY too much of this format on the dial.

This thread is about CBS flipping one station to sports when they already own a station in the format. What are the chances of that?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom