• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hit Songs That Should Never Be Played On Radio Today

...........until his 1968 "Comeback Special" and his 1973 "Aloha From Hawaii" TV shows. Between 1968 and 1979 Elvis had 23 Top 10 hits on either the Pop, Country or AC charts.

The only thing I remember from that period was people remarking how fat he had become. My wife and her girlfriend went to his Richmond, VA performance in 1974 (I think) and she had the same comment. She did like his performance but never bought his records or listened to Elvis at home.

Cleveland's WMMS was, for several decades, as highly regarded a rock station as any in the nation.

It played quite a lot of Madonna: it was the first place, while visiting, that I heard "Material Girl".

WMMS was much of what you describe as desirable... good new music without artificial borders, good old songs, and even some album cuts that perhaps were not hits but which possessed a good sense of belonging on the station. WMMS defined rock as whatever they played, and some of their choices were generously broad. WMMS was a dominant station for decades until rock fragmented into segments where partisans of each division hated elements of the other segments.

So, the question should not be whether Madonna was a rock artist but whether rock partisans and fans also liked to hear Madonna.
In the days before Madonna, WBCY in Charlotte, NC played "Charlotte's Best Rock". I found an ad for the station on microfilm. I remember Chuck Mangione being in the format, but the ad showed Carly Simon and Rita Coolidge. Sure, they played Styx and Stones (a TV ad), Elton John, Fleetwood Mac and Led Zeppelin, but they had their own definition of rock. The Top 40 station was 61 Big WAYS, but I assumed that WBCY, after being beautiful music, was going to be the first FM Top 40. It was a lot like Top 40 but not exactly. For real rock, there was WROQ.

The only thing I remember from that period was people remarking how fat he had become. My wife and her girlfriend went to his Richmond, VA performance in 1974 (I think) and she had the same comment. She did like his performance but never bought his records or listened to Elvis at home.

Interestingly, in much of Latin America, Suspicious Minds was the first big Elvis hit and by any measurement, the biggest.

For some reason, much of his earlier stuff did not play as well internationally.

Of course, in much of Latin America CCR sold better and got more airplay than the Beatles ever did.

I hear you. It seems like Elvis had two separate careers. Personally, I liked him in the early rock & roll days from his beginnings through the black leather '68 Comeback Special. Then he went to the sequined jumpsuits and I lost interest. Kinda like the Beatles. They started out as a good rock & roll band but eventually got into the "Lucy In The Sky" and "Strawberry Fields" stuff with the goofy Sgt. Pepper outfits. That's when I gave up on them.

Look at all the other great rock names that fizzled out with the rise of the Beatles and the rest of the British Invasion?
Most of the initial class of rock & rollers saw their careers over with by 1960.

Buddy Holly: deceased
Chuck Berry: in jail
Little Richard: retired
Jerry Lee Lewis: married his underage cousin
Carl Perkins: car wreck

Even Elvis' career had suffered due to his being in the Army, but he had built up enough goodwill with his fans that Parker was able to keep him in the public eye. A "lesser" star would have been a goner with that much time out of the limelight.

I further pointed out (earlier in this thread) that even most of the establishment's "replacement" stars saw their own careers suffering by 1963.
At the time Elvis switched to movies, even here in America all the teen idols and other solo artists tended to give way to bands like the Beach Boys. His 1968 "comeback special" was simply Elvis displaying what he could do if he did good material.
Elvis didn't "switch" to movies. He had been making movies since 1956.

I hear you. It seems like Elvis had two separate careers. Personally, I liked him in the early rock & roll days from his beginnings through the black leather '68 Comeback Special. Then he went to the sequined jumpsuits and I lost interest.
I would say three careers. The initial "rock and roll" phase, the post-Army phase (most of the really lame movies here), and then the sequined jumpsuit phase right after the comeback special.
Kinda like the Beatles. They started out as a good rock & roll band but eventually got into the "Lucy In The Sky" and "Strawberry Fields" stuff with the goofy Sgt. Pepper outfits. That's when I gave up on them.
Those were Lennon songs. But I would hardly call any one career "misstep" a "jump the shark" moment. But if it leads to more of the same, then yes, it would be a jts moment.

I further pointed out (earlier in this thread) that even most of the establishment's "replacement" stars saw their own careers suffering by 1963.Elvis didn't "switch" to movies. He had been making movies since 1956.

He switched to concentrating on movies as his primary focus, instead of something secondary to his recording and touring career. He also switched to releasing mostly soundtrack albums as his only record output.

Kinda like the Beatles. They started out as a good rock & roll band but eventually got into the "Lucy In The Sky" and "Strawberry Fields" stuff with the goofy Sgt. Pepper outfits. That's when I gave up on them.

You mean when they started using more than three chords...

You mean when they started using more than three chords...

Some people have a limited appreciation for music. If you expect all rock songs to be three chords and a cloud of dust, it's no wonder you also support a 40 song playlist.

Some people have a limited appreciation for music. If you expect all rock songs to be three chords and a cloud of dust, it's no wonder you also support a 40 song playlist.

You misunderstand...you should be directing this comment at Fonz (whom I was quoting)...not me!

He switched to concentrating on movies as his primary focus, instead of something secondary to his recording and touring career. He also switched to releasing mostly soundtrack albums as his only record output.
I should point out that after his comeback special aired, he completed Charro, a western, which was already in production at the time, then made Elvis, That's the Way It Is (a documentary), then got out of the movie business for good.

They never really stopped playing rock and roll. Have you ever heard "One After 909" from Let It Be? Granted, they branched out a bit, but it did NOT mean that they had "stopped rocking."

Not to mention "And Your Bird Can Sing." (Even though I just did...)

They never really stopped playing rock and roll. Have you ever heard "One After 909" from Let It Be? Granted, they branched out a bit, but it did NOT mean that they had "stopped rocking."

With the exception of "Get Back", no Beatles US Top 10 single after 1966 was a rock & roll song.

Last edited:

No, I had never heard it. And yes, it is a good rock & roll song. Wish I had heard it 40+ years ago. I had the LP back then, but most of us just played the hits or the stuff we heard on mainstream radio. My original post explained why I gave up on the Beatles back in 1967. There's no doubt that some gems are buried in those LPs that I have discovered over the years.

Last edited:
With the exception of "Get Back", no Beatles US Top 10 single after 1966 was a rock & roll song.

The Beatles have whole catalogs of music which has never been released or heard publicly. And to limit your argument to USA top ten is meaningless as they were exceedingly popular around the world.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom