• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hit Songs That Should Never Be Played On Radio Today

In another thread a poster suggested that certain songs, although they received heavy airplay "back in the day", should never be played in any radio format today. He used "Winchester Cathedral" as an example. I disagreed. Let's hear what you folks think. Think in terms of the rock & roll era...........1955+.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a single solitary song that should never be played on the radio today. None. Zip. Zero. Zlich. Nada.

There's some that shouldn't be played as often, but that's not what you asked.

Avid Listener I absolutely agree. Playing all the popular songs is what Oldies radio is all about and I would think most of us Oldies listeners appreciate that kind of playlist.

Being my 3000th post and my last for some time, just wanna add that ANY song is playable today. It has to be managed and played at the right time. No song should ever be excluded from someone's listening enjoyment. Every, EVERY song is someone's favorite in the audience, some more than others. Thankfully small town radio stations have listened to the music fans and are graced by great music from the gold / oldies and classic hit eras.

I am taking a break from RD due to ongoing disagreements on the KRTH threads under Los Angeles. Come Labor Day Weekend, I will gladly celebrate one of K-EARTH 101's long standing specials, the Number One Music Weekend and listen to all these beautiful classic hits and oldies that once aired in Los Angeles, about 30 years ago. It has been a tradition of mine to carry on this countdown, even if it's my own living room.

Here's a link to this wonderful and timeless special:

http://buff.ucsd.edu/music/krth/

The way radio USED to be and should be today!!

Radio and music fans, keep up the posts, whether the pros disagree or not! That's what this is all about, is making your valid and intelligent opinions known.

See you soon,
oldies76

I don't think there is a single solitary song that should never be played on the radio today. None. Zip. Zero. Zlich. Nada.

There's some that shouldn't be played as often, but that's not what you asked.

"He Hit Me (And It Felt Like A Kiss)" is a pop song written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King and recorded by The Crystals under the guidance of Phil Spector (and covered by quite a few). No, it wasn't a hit, (no pun intended), but this is a song that would not be appropriate today.

"He Hit Me (And It Felt Like A Kiss)" is a pop song written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King and recorded by The Crystals under the guidance of Phil Spector (and covered by quite a few). No, it wasn't a hit, (no pun intended), but this is a song that would not be appropriate today.

That song is on my MP3 player. I totally oppose the sort of political correctness that would prevent that song from being played on the air because of "inappropriateness". Frankly, any sort of such censorship by the self-anointed nannies of the world is worse than any of the things they ban. However, it's not a very good song. I wouldn't play it for that reason.

"Felt Like a Kiss" was a stiff out of the gate in 1962. It was released as a single, but Spector had it pulled from distribution because of the lyrics, according to the booklet that accompanied the Back To Mono box set.

I believe that any song that was a hit then should be played now. But I know at least three songs that we'll probably never hear again in this era of "political correctness gone wild."

Disney's 1992 Aladdin movie included a song that said "I come from a land, from a faraway place where the caravan camels roam. Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face. It's barbaric but, hey, it's home." In 1993, Disney bowed to pressure and protests by Arab groups and changed the line to 'I come from a land, from a faraway place where the caravan camels roam. Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense..." For some reason, the "barbaric" reference was left in. Anyway, considering the reaction to the original lyrics in 1992-93, does anyone think radio in 2014 will play Ray Stevens' Ahab The Arab? Or Pat Boone's Speedy Gonzales with Mel Blanc voicing a stereotypical Mexican?

And how about Billy Joe Royal's Burned Like A Rocket? In 1986 it reached #10 on the country chart and might have gone to number one...but the Challenger space shuttle exploded and every station immediately dropped the song. It hasn't been played since and probably never will be.

It's barbaric but hey it's home.'

I was doing a lot of copying and pasting. Ignore that last line up there. I don't know how it got there.

Another song that will never be played again is the late 1966 remake of the Troggs' Wild Thing by "Senator Bobby." It was Bill Minkin impersonating Senator Robert Kennedy. In 1968 Kennedy was gunned down in the Ambassador Hotel shortly after winning the California primary. The novelty song got to #20 and was followed by a remake of Donovan's Mellow Yellow which also included a Senator Everett Dirksen impersonator. You'll never again hear those songs on the radio. "Quite rightly."

I was doing a lot of copying and pasting. Ignore that last line up there. I don't know how it got there.

Another song that will never be played again is the late 1966 remake of the Troggs' Wild Thing by "Senator Bobby." It was Bill Minkin impersonating Senator Robert Kennedy. In 1968 Kennedy was gunned down in the Ambassador Hotel shortly after winning the California primary. The novelty song got to #20 and was followed by a remake of Donovan's Mellow Yellow which also included a Senator Everett Dirksen impersonator. You'll never again hear those songs on the radio. "Quite rightly."

You're probably right about that. I would include any "narration" type records like the Buchanan & Goodman and Stan Freberg stuff. These would be O.K. in a specialty show like Dr. Demento, but not as a regular part of the format itself.

Well, don't many of today's Rap songs use that theme?

That song is on my MP3 player. I totally oppose the sort of political correctness that would prevent that song from being played on the air because of "inappropriateness". Frankly, any sort of such censorship by the self-anointed nannies of the world is worse than any of the things they ban. However, it's not a very good song. I wouldn't play it for that reason.

You wouldn't want to censor a song because you thought it wasn't good, would you? I think you meant to say "I wouldn't LISTEN to it for that reason". Regardless of his personal life Phil Spector, like the Beatles, is considered to be a music genus. And like the Beatles his songs deserve to be heard, even if they're not all classics.

Last edited:
You wouldn't want to censor a song because you thought it wasn't good, would you? I think you meant to say "I wouldn't LISTEN to it for that reason". Regardless of his personal life Phil Spector, like the Beatles, is considered to be a music genus. And like the Beatles his songs deserve to be heard, even if they're not all classics.

No, I said what I meant and I meant what I said. Just because someone is a musical genius doesn't mean every single thing they touched are masterpieces. Spector turned out hundreds of songs, most were extremely good, a few were turkeys. Same goes for the Beatles, Gershwin, Back, Tchaikovsky, Irving Berlin, Mozart, and Bruce Springsteen. Not every painting that Rembrandt made was a masterpiece. Not every one of Rodin's sculptures was a timeless classic for the ages.

As for "deserving" to be heard, if someone wants to look up a song on Youtube so that they can hear it, more power to them. While I disagree with the industry suits who draw the cutoff line for what songs to play on the air far too conservatively, that disagreement is with them drawing it too tightly. There's absolutely nothing wrong with someone who is empowered to decide what to play on the air and what not to play using their good judgement, that still assumes that the person got the job because they have good judgement.

Earlier, the old adage "90% of everything is crap" came up. I agree with that in principle, though there's room to quibble over the exact percentage. The suits running radio today insist that they should only play ½ of 1% of what's out there. I'm more inclined to think that the best 2% to 5% is more like it. But songs ranked down in the lower 10%, even if produced by a "genius", shouldn't be played on the radio. So I would absolutely "censor" a crappy song in a New York minute, and I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep over it.

The suits running radio today insist that they should only play ½ of 1% of what's out there. I'm more inclined to think that the best 2% to 5% is more like it.

No one in radio sets a limit based on "what's out there." To be honest, given that so much music is released today outside the bounds of traditional record labels, I don't think anyone really knows exactly "what's out there."

The suits running radio today insist that they should only play ½ of 1% of what's out there. I'm more inclined to think that the best 2% to 5% is more like it. But songs ranked down in the lower 10%, even if produced by a "genius", shouldn't be played on the radio. So I would absolutely "censor" a crappy song in a New York minute, and I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep over it.

I also take issue with the idea that anyone in radio sets a percentage of music that it is "okay" to play.

Generally, playlist size is set by the number of songs that test as having good positives and few negative "blemishes" among target listeners. There is such a consensus in every format, adjusted only slightly by market to market differences. So if Classic hits stations generally play around 600 to 700 songs that is because of thousands of possible songs there are that many that "everyone can agree on" and which will not cause tuneout.

If the number of consensus songs swings higher or lower over time, stations adjust. Nobody at a radio station sits around calculating what percentage of 70's songs are being played after looking at the Whitburn and Billboard books... they look at what listeners tell them today.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom