• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Should Talk Stations Stop Subscribing to Nielsen?

F

FredLeonard

The numbers are terrible and getting worse for WPHT 1210 in Philadelphia, for WDEL 1150 and WILM 1450 in Wilmington. The ratings are an embarrassment. WNTP 990 does not subscribe. Neither does "The Voice" 920 in Trenton. Or WNPV 1140 in Lansdale. Why pay money to Nielsen just to look pathetic? Besides, do the bottom-feeder clients that buy right-wing talk even care about ratings?

I always say: If the numbers are bad, don't sell the numbers. But there are always interesting details when you look beyond the 6+ numbers. That's where a great research department can find a pony amongst all the manure.

I always say: If the numbers are bad, don't sell the numbers. But there are always interesting details when you look beyond the 6+ numbers. That's where a great research department can find a pony amongst all the manure.

I think that's what a lot of people don't get. Ratings are a sales tool. Plenty of stations that have great ratings don't make a penny, and plenty of stations with 1.0 6+ numbers rake in the cash hand over fist.

Nothing you need to worry about. No ratings in Gillette. But lots of redneck Gomer bigots judging by your show.

Actually, Nielsen's annual circulation study measures every US County and stations can get individual county market reports.

The numbers are terrible and getting worse for WPHT 1210 in Philadelphia, for WDEL 1150 and WILM 1450 in Wilmington. The ratings are an embarrassment. WNTP 990 does not subscribe. Neither does "The Voice" 920 in Trenton. Or WNPV 1140 in Lansdale. Why pay money to Nielsen just to look pathetic? Besides, do the bottom-feeder clients that buy right-wing talk even care about ratings?

In the case of stations that belong to a cluster like WPHT, you can't buy for some and not for others as the data for every station, subscribed or not, is in the full report that subscribers and agencies get.

Most low-rated non-clustered stations don't subscribe as there is no return on the investment.

In the case of stations that belong to a cluster like WPHT, you can't buy for some and not for others as the data for every station, subscribed or not, is in the full report that subscribers and agencies get.

Most low-rated non-clustered stations don't subscribe as there is no return on the investment.

If groups have to include talkers, that's one thing. But given the current state of talk radio, there can not be much, if any, ROI.

Does forced clustering apply to all co-owned stations in market, not just those with similar (spoken word) formats like CBS but the Delmarva and Clear Channel stations in Wilmington, too?

If groups have to include talkers, that's one thing. But given the current state of talk radio, there can not be much, if any, ROI.

Does forced clustering apply to all co-owned stations in market, not just those with similar (spoken word) formats like CBS but the Delmarva and Clear Channel stations in Wilmington, too?

There is no "forced clustering". Simply, Nielsen does not give away data. And were they to allow the stations in a cluster to selectively subscribe or not, cluster management would still get the ratings of the non-subscribed station. So they don't allow the practice.

That goes for any cluster in any rated market. Either the cluster subscribes or no station gets their ratings.

It probably wouldn't reduce their costs by much, if at all. CC and CBS probably pay Nielsen a large flat rate to cover all of their stations. Further, the data is probably needed to market national ads for their syndicated programming.

I would rather listen to right-wing talk, then that racist, violent, hate spewing, venomous crap coming out of 900 AM. You all know the station that has Cody the Crook, the guy that owes over 2 million to the City of Philadelphia for helping him keep WHAT, way back when the mad bomber was mayor and helped Cody in his devious deeds. Instead of this louse serving time he is in charge of the hate spewing machine...

I would rather listen to right-wing talk, then that racist, violent, hate spewing, venomous crap coming out of 900 AM. You all know the station that has Cody the Crook, the guy that owes over 2 million to the City of Philadelphia for helping him keep WHAT, way back when the mad bomber was mayor and helped Cody in his devious deeds. Instead of this louse serving time he is in charge of the hate spewing machine...

In what magical location are you able to hear Hate 900 and (former) Standards 1290?

WURD is not a Nielsen subscriber anyway.

In what magical location are you able to hear Hate 900 and (former) Standards 1290?

But subscribers, both agency and station, can see WURD's numbers (if, indeed, it shows in any particular book).

In the April-May-June books, it averaged a 0.4.

It probably wouldn't reduce their costs by much, if at all. CC and CBS probably pay Nielsen a large flat rate to cover all of their stations. Further, the data is probably needed to market national ads for their syndicated programming.

Clusters pay a "cluster rate" based in part on the total number of stations in the cluster. Of course, there are additional negotiations based on how many different markets and clusters a particular owner has.

When I lived near the Cherry Hill Mall, 900 was a local and 1290 was listenable on all but the crappiest radios, but that ended close to 15 years ago and I don't know how high the noise floor there is these days.

And this is how stations in "unrated" markets get ratings. Thanks for explaining that for our radio business impaired friend.

You righties will accept anything if it's what you want to hear.

OK, if you want to count that as actual ratings, go ahead. Tell us, what's your share and cume? How do you do in in the money demos?

Like many, I morn the demise of local radio as more and more stations become computers in closets. Thank you for reminding me how truly horrible local radio can be. I know it can't be that apparent back in Maryland.

I live in Center City where WURD's signal is the best, due to their location near the auto mall, and their direction going north, they can be heard in the Lehigh Valley. 1290 comes in very well also and for some reason they are loud and clear at night the last few weeks, must be running their daytime power. Getting back to hate 900, when they were WFLN they had a very restricted pattern and were off at night. Since they have been leased they have good night power and the tight daytime pattern is gone. They can be received at the Jersey shore during the day and in Center City and the burbs at night. Bottom line the group they are gearing up and targeting, can pick them up with no problem day and night in their locations. They have a city grade signal from Trenton to Wilmington and all points in-between.

OK, if you want to count that as actual ratings, go ahead. Tell us, what's your share and cume? How do you do in in the money demos?

The Nielsen circulation study is "real ratings" as a sample is drawn from every county in the nation. It does not have the granularity of a full local market survey, but it is definitely a "ratings report" with shares and such. The limitations on its use for other than local sales are severe, and I doubt that they can be posted or published.

Look at

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Arbitron/WI14DOM.pdf

... and go to Radio County Coverage for details on the local ratings.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom