• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New 95.7 Taking Off

Apparently, that's the message running on KJR-FM. I can't hear it because the audio on my computer is currently dead. Any comments?

"K-JET 95.7, quietly flying off with the best soft hits to mellow out your day..." sorry, wrong tape.
"K-JET 95.7, the greatest 200-burnt-to-a-crisp classic "hits" ever!" Likely what CC will do. I'd rather see the first one.

-crainbebo

"K-JET 95.7, quietly flying off with the best soft hits to mellow out your day..." sorry, wrong tape.
"K-JET 95.7, the greatest 200-burnt-to-a-crisp classic "hits" ever!" Likely what CC will do. I'd rather see the first one.

-crainbebo

You've got that right, but I am more interested in who is going to be going on the air when all of these changes are set to occur. With a Seattle radio legend out, I wonder if there is going to be a major shakeup in talent.

This if a tad off topic, but does anyone know how much experience, and what kind of qualifications one should have before applying to clear channel? Sure, I can bash it, but.. you know ;)

Last edited:
You've got that right, but I am more interested in who is going to be going on the air when all of these changes are set to occur. With a Seattle radio legend out, I wonder if there is going to be a major shakeup in talent.

This if a tad off topic, but does anyone know how much experience, and what kind of qualifications one should have before applying to clear channel? Sure, I can bash it, but.. you know ;)

Betcha no one local. All syndicated and voiced tracked from Omaha or Sacramento. Just look at KUBE or KYNW for inspiration.

Clear Channel has registered these domain names: 957TheJet.com, 957TheJetSeattle.com, Seattles957TheJet.com, TheJet957.com and TheJetSeattle.com. I'm in Los Angeles and I'm not an
expert on Seattle radio so this is just a wild guess---maybe KJR-FM will be called "The Jet"?

Clear Channel has registered these domain names: 957TheJet.com, 957TheJetSeattle.com, Seattles957TheJet.com, TheJet957.com and TheJetSeattle.com. I'm in Los Angeles and I'm not an
expert on Seattle radio so this is just a wild guess---maybe KJR-FM will be called "The Jet"?

I would say that "The Jet" branding is coming to 95.7. As to calls, I'm thinking they will change them. I think CC wants to disconnect itself from the KJR legacy and go for a younger demo that doesn't remember KJR's (AM) Top 40 days.

Here is a wild and crazy idea... Take the format on "The Brew" and stick it onto KUBE, and KUBE can become "The Jet" with an active rock format challenging KISW. Who the hell cares about KUBE anymore?

How many more threads will this board have on the same topic? C'mon people, search before you post. Sheesh.

Oh, and ford - to give you a totally honest answer to your question:

First of all - do you have any professional on-air radio experience? Seattle is what's known as a "major market" and unless you're an exceptionally talented undiscovered air personality, you'll likely need to have at least a year or two of experience before even being considered for an on air job.

Second - do you have a demo (aka aircheck) ready to send to prospective employers? Most won't even talk to you without hearing your demo first.

So to summarize: If you have experience, or a killer demo - or both - and if you're REALLY lucky - you might - just might - get an e-mail back from a prospective Seattle station telling you they've chosen someone else to fill the position.

That is NOT sarcasm, by the way. The point is that with lots of experienced air personalities out of work with decades of experience - you really don't stand a chance getting hired in Seattle.

Now, If you're REALLY serious about getting into the business, start off in a smaller market. Mixx in Olympia is looking for part time announcers - send them your demo. Or move to crainbebo's neck of the woods - there's usually openings at stations there. Get some experience. Hone your craft. Then come back to Seattle.

How many more threads will this board have on the same topic? C'mon people, search before you post. Sheesh.

Oh, and ford - to give you a totally honest answer to your question:

First of all - do you have any professional on-air radio experience? Seattle is what's known as a "major market" and unless you're an exceptionally talented undiscovered air personality, you'll likely need to have at least a year or two of experience before even being considered for an on air job.

Second - do you have a demo (aka aircheck) ready to send to prospective employers? Most won't even talk to you without hearing your demo first.

So to summarize: If you have experience, or a killer demo - or both - and if you're REALLY lucky - you might - just might - get an e-mail back from a prospective Seattle station telling you they've chosen someone else to fill the position. I appreciate you taking an honest, but positive spin on your post.

That is NOT sarcasm, by the way. The point is that with lots of experienced air personalities out of work with decades of experience - you really don't stand a chance getting hired in Seattle.

Now, If you're REALLY serious about getting into the business, start off in a smaller market. Mixx in Olympia is looking for part time announcers - send them your demo. Or move to crainbebo's neck of the woods - there's usually openings at stations there. Get some experience. Hone your craft. Then come back to Seattle.

I'm actually working on an aircheck right now thanks to the kind and generous people who have done a FANTASTIC job training me to work on the air, complete with a best-of and full show. I figure that I have no shot at the Seattle market, but that doesn't stop me from at least giving it a shot. The pathway to working in radio is a strange concept; on one hand, you have to have experience to obtain a professional position, and its difficult to find a gig that will you obtain the needed experience.

Admittedly I lack experience, but I do have the type of personality that clicks with radio, so I am really looking forward to my shot. You never know, I might end up on the radio in Olympia (depending if someone like me would have a shot, its hard to say). I'll keep you posted.

"How many more threads will this board have on the same topic? C'mon people, search before you post. Sheesh." I'm sorry. Are you talking about THIS topic? Much to my surprise, the announcement wasn't covered anywhere. That's why I started the thread.

"How many more threads will this board have on the same topic? C'mon people, search before you post. Sheesh." I'm sorry. Are you talking about THIS topic? Much to my surprise, the announcement wasn't covered anywhere. That's why I started the thread.

Mike Brewer is an 'expert' at trolling, criticizing, shaming, belittling and other related character flaws. Best bet...don't feed (ignore) the troll. (Same with AQH.)

I've seen you on the PDX board. Every time I visit, I have to LOL, simply because the forum is 98% politics and 2% radio. I thought about joining, but I'm not interested in a mud slinging contest.

Last edited:
Mike Brewer is an 'expert' at trolling, criticizing, shaming, belittling and other related character flaws. Best bet...don't feed (ignore) the troll. (Same with AQH.)

I've seen you on the PDX board. Every time I visit, I have to LOL, simply because the forum is 98% politics and 2% radio. I thought about joining, but I'm not interested in a mud slinging contest.

You're entitled to your own opinion.

If you think the PDX board is amusing, you should hear what people employed in radio say about the Seattle board.

At first I was thinking that since Keith Cunningham at CC has KISW traits that he may want to make 95.7 into an active rock and bring KKBW into an alternative only station, but from what I heard is that 95.7 will be KJET or KJJT and the playlist will be exactly like Portland's "Oldies" station heard on iHeart. Slaton will be out (and from when I last talked to Steve, he states he will be done with radio after KJR).

At first I was thinking that since Keith Cunningham at CC has KISW traits that he may want to make 95.7 into an active rock and bring KKBW into an alternative only station, but from what I heard is that 95.7 will be KJET or KJJT and the playlist will be exactly like Portland's "Oldies" station heard on iHeart. Slaton will be out (and from when I last talked to Steve, he states he will be done with radio after KJR).
Portland's Oldies is now The Eagle. I think the new name will make it easier to leave the 60s behind, when they get that far. They're already cut way back.

Likely will be KJJT. I don't think Bill W would be glad to get rid of the KJET callsign that he's had on 105.7 for many years now.
'Not surprised KLTH flipped to "The Eagle" - it's your favorite songs like "Hotel California," "Heartache Tonight" and "Take It Easy" played 5 times a day instead of 3! Barf.

-crainbebo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom