College stations sold or leased to NPR, religious etc - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: College stations sold or leased to NPR, religious etc

They're better off spending that money on something more students will use. ......Yup Like the PENSIONS of the professors and staff............thats where the $$$$ goes.....

This is my point the government approved radio stations, and yes NPR is government radio, you almost never hear a alternative view on it.....or any spirited discussions, its about as non offensive as Disney.....now that is a total waste of the educational band.

For example they will never talk about gun control for black people

http://charlestonthuglife.net/2013/0...our-president/

Or Trayvons criminal past......
    http://www.wnd.com/2013/04/police-bu...minal-history/

or put muslims and isalm in a bad light....

http://www.barenakedislam.com/

What we need are more community oriented open minded stations......There are any dark stations that can be used for this purpose.....
    -------------------
    What we don't need is a non-commercial band made up of mostly the same NPR network programs that are already well represented nationwide.
    Last edited by Richard Stefan; 07-30-2014 at 12:30 AM.

FredLeonard
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbasalla View Post
    For schools that have a Broadcast and related Majors programs, the FM station is not a toy or simply an extra-curricular activity. It is an integral part of the experiential learning process. When done well, the public benefits by having an alternative station that stands on its own. What we don't need is a non-commercial band made up of mostly the same NPR network programs that are already well represented nationwide.
    Maybe at your school. Not all. In many schools, student media are kept independent on purpose.

Where there are multiple NPR member stations, they usually are not carrying the same programs - from NPR or any other source. If you teach broadcasting, you should know that. You should also know that "broadcast" and "majors" should not be capitalized. See the AP Style Book.

And again, you're incorrect Richard.

Even those on the political right that support defunding NPR completely admit that they are given fair coverage on NPR news programming, and one could also argue they present viewpoints and issue coverage that is absent from commercial talk radio. I hear alternative viewpoints on NPR daily. That is not "government radio."

You made the statement "no one can provide any content unless it is government approved." I would like you to tell me what government official approves the playlists of community programmers on KAXE, and hosts at WXPN and KCRW.

If you can't, I expect you to retract your false statement.

see my edit above......its censorship on a mass level....hogging up limited FM bandwidth that others can use....

Yes XPN bridgeport........love it.....had friends work there......so why do we have NPR hogging up frequencies and keeping hundreds of little XPN's off the airwaves...
    Last edited by Richard Stefan; 07-30-2014 at 12:35 AM.

Then I expect you to agree that groups like EMF and Calvary Chapel network feeds abuse their tax exemption and claim financial hardship. They create far more dial clutter than regional NPR.

For instance, examine Seattle and Portland. The public radio services provide news, classical, jazz, etc. The EMF feeds provide multiple, low power repeaters of the same programming. Who's the guiltier party here?

Your examples are pointless. You're expecting NPR to cover your particular opinion, or the opinion of a particular angle news site. The fact that NPR isn't voicing your opinion doesn't mean they're censored by the government. And the issue of Islamic fundamentalist terrorism HAS been covered on NPR, as has gun violence in the inner city. I know, because I listen. Obviously you don't.
    Last edited by stevensonair; 07-30-2014 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Stefan View Post
    see my edit above......its censorship on a mass level....hogging up limited FM bandwidth that others can use....
    You're confusing a national program service and the radio stations that choose to carry it. Two very different things. The stations don't have to carry NPR programming. And since there are only a handful of NPR shows, the stations usually carry shows from lots of other independent suppliers, or produce them internally. NPR doesn't own any frequencies, so they're not the ones doing the hogging. You really should learn more about them before you shoot your mouth off in a forum where almost everybody knows more about the subject than you.

Ah steve 2 different animals EMF bought a station in my area 96.7 fm in Stamford CT paid $15 million they had a CP to move the transmitter to new rochelle and get signal into NYC.......so why didnt someone offer $16 million?

But Cox radio literally gave away for $500K 2 full time AM station in Stamford and Norwalk ct when they had other people interested U conn wanted it and they had a journalism school in Stamford.......Sacred heart U bought them and promptly got rid of all the show hosts and even high school football which has been on the station since 1948 and replaced it with NPR and NO local programming what so ever......

But the educational band is different....it was supposed to be for the public to get involved, and states and the Fed government funded it with strings attached....so it was bland boring and non controversial....student carrier current stations were never even allowed to get a 10 watt FM because of 50kw "educational" stations and channel spacing probalems when lowing the power to 25k or 10K would have opened up more space for colleges universities even broadcast schools.......I always wondered why Conn School of broadcasting couldn't even get ONE 10 watt FM station allocated let alone 1kw......

Right Big A BBC radio all night and no local programs...still a waste when it's on all the stations....
    Last edited by Richard Stefan; 07-30-2014 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Stefan View Post
    student carrier current stations were never even allowed to get a 10 watt FM because of 50kw "educational" stations and channel spacing probalems when lowing the power to 25k or 10K would have opened up more space for colleges universities even broadcast schools
    I personally was involved in the conversion of several campus carrier current stations to FM, and also involved in the licensing of several 10 watt high school stations. We were able to do it with no problems. So I don't know what you're talking about. As for CSB, did they ever actually apply? My sense was they were always in financial trouble.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast