College stations sold or leased to NPR, religious etc - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: College stations sold or leased to NPR, religious etc

Kudos are better placed to our academic leader and most importantly, engaged and hard working students who understand the importance of the experiential learning they get every time they sit behind the microphone. Maybe this shouldn't be surprising since a good number of them are major's and they know they better take the business and performance art of broadcasting seriously. Some posts ago a person wondered how much of the business side can be taught when the station is a non-com. It's called underwriting and we have a department headed up by a student who does that. We also air play-by-play of University major sports events, including away games which keeps a good number of alums, who otherwise might not listen, on board as listeners. Couple that with the student produced weekly sports talk show, and it's no surprise that we see a number of our graduates doing sports, on radio, on TV, on line and at newspapers.

@MikeSaffran Communication Lecturer and WGSU-FM Faculty Director, SUNY Geneseo, Geneseo, N.Y. Listen live: http://bit.ly/wgsu-live
    “Anyone can write. Only the real writer knows how to erase.” (Unknown)

FredLeonard
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Saffran View Post
    The story says "college licensed media." Not "college stations." Many public radio stations are owned and operated by institutions of higher learning. And buying or merging only makes sense for public radio stations - not student radio or campus radio. Clear channelizing student radio certainly doesn't provide opportunities for student participation or increase the kind of campus presence that makes campus radio unique.

And it's a poll. So what? Any question in a poll with the word "consider" is meaningless.
    Last edited by FredLeonard; 08-14-2014 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLeonard View Post
    Clear channelizing student radio certainly doesn't provide opportunities for student participation or increase the kind of campus presence that makes campus radio unique.
    Well actually it does, but in a more practical way than traditional student-run radio, by providing more real-life radio experience.

I had a unique experience, working at a college station, while also working at a commercial station. I did one for fun, the other for money. Of the 70 or so students who were at the college station, I was the only one who walked out of college with an actual job in radio, and I'm one of only a handful of all fellow alums who are still in the business. It's not because of my college radio experience.

FredLeonard
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Well actually it does, but in a more practical way than traditional student-run radio, by providing more real-life radio experience.

I had a unique experience, working at a college station, while also working at a commercial station. I did one for fun, the other for money. Of the 70 or so students who were at the college station, I was the only one who walked out of college with an actual job in radio, and I'm one of only a handful of all fellow alums who are still in the business. It's not because of my college radio experience.
    Thank you. As I said before, these are hobby stations - extra curricular activities. Only training grounds for a relative few. But what good is an extra-curricular activity when it's taken over by another school (on another campus). At the very least, it means fewer opportunities for students to participate. What else are these schools "considering" sharing - the band (fewer slots for musicians)...?

A local college is using a commercial station as a training ground for its students. I'm not clear on whether the college owns the station yet, but the sale was supposed to be complete by now. It's still mostly Dial Global America's Best Music (Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Michael Buble, The Carpenters, Elton John) with similar music on the local morning show still hosted by the man who owned the stations for twelve years.

Not likely to appeal to the students, but I'm sure some of their more uptight professors like it.

Some are "hobby stations", unfortunately, but not all. Stroking with a broad brush leads to a lack of truth.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678