• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio in haiti!

Can anybody give me some news about the radio bands in Haiti please?

The earthquake destroyed some of the few remaining AM stations, but the FM band has returned to near its pre-quake station level. A few stations did not return, possibly due to the death of the owner or an inability to finance a rebuild. But Port au Prince has pretty much the same number of FMs as it did before. And the AMs were dying anyway.

There are many of the Haitian stations online and a good list is at http://delicast.com/radio/Haiti. Remember, they are all in Kreyol.

Is 4VEH still around in any form?

Yes, it is on both AM and FM.

1035 AM changed to 840 and covers the entire cape area of the northwest. They have a set of FMs up and down the cape, located on the mountain ridge.

They also have an interesting program to distribute solar powered radios in areas without electricity.

That area, of course, was far from the earthquake zone.

I fondly remember this station as my most distant daytime DX from NE Ohio. On a cold, wintry day in the early 60's near high noon I heard 4VEH for a short period of time quite clearly. The fact that it was on 1035, and there were no locals or semi-locals on 1030 or 1040 made this possible.

Yes, it is on both AM and FM.

1035 AM changed to 840 and covers the entire cape area of the northwest. They have a set of FMs up and down the cape, located on the mountain ridge.

Decades ago 4VEH ran separate Kreyol and Spanish programming on those two AM frequencies. The station also had several shortwave transmitters (which also carried both languages, plus a little English) and thus was one of the better known Haitian broadcasters. None of the shortwave units was ever what would be considered high power, but the station was heard all over the world. I recall hearing the five note "Amazing Grace" tuning signal plus their religious programming many times in the 1960's and 70's on several SW frequencies. The shortwave units were all silent by the early 80's.

They also have an interesting program to distribute solar powered radios in areas without electricity.

They've been doing something like this for decades. In my archives of shortwave stuff I have one 4VEH brochure that includes information about distributing pre-tuned transistor radios in the late 1960's.

I fondly remember this station as my most distant daytime DX from NE Ohio. On a cold, wintry day in the early 60's near high noon I heard 4VEH for a short period of time quite clearly. The fact that it was on 1035, and there were no locals or semi-locals on 1030 or 1040 made this possible.

At night the 1035 signal could regularly be heard in the southeastern U.S. back in the days when you only had WBZ on 1030 and WHO on 1040. The split frequency made it an easier catch.

Another Haitian SW station with multiple outlets in the 1960's was "Voix de la Revolution Duvaliériste." Obviously long gone.

I used to be able to hear 1035's daytime groundwave regularly from Miami Beach.
They also had some tropical band shortwave stations going.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom