• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bob Rivers retiring from radio.

M

Mike Brewer

From a CC press release sent this morning:

---------

95.7 KJR-FM’S BOB RIVERS HANGS UP HIS ALARM CLOCK

Seattle, Wash. – July 28, 2014 – After 33-years of doing morning radio, 95.7 KJR-FM's Bob Rivers announced his heart-felt decision to step away and discontinue The Bob Rivers Morning Show. Leading up to his final show on Friday, August 8, 2014, the iconic Seattle personality will host 9 farewell shows to say goodbye to listeners, advertisers and co-workers.

For over 25 years, Bob Rivers has been entertaining audiences in the Pacific Northwest and has appeared on some of Seattle’s biggest radio stations.

"Bob is a world-class talent, a true professional and radio genius, and it’s been our pleasure working with such a radio legend that inspired many in the industry to get into the business in their early years," said Keith Cunningham, Vice President of Programming, Clear Channel Media and Entertainment Seattle.

"I've been on the radio for 42 years; since I was 16. 33-years doing morning drive, 25 of them being here in Seattle. Our show signed on 8/8/89 and our last show will be 8/8/2014. I will be forever grateful to the best audience and radio family one could hope for: Spike, Joe, Jodi, Arik, Pedro and Luciana. I love y'all. This was not an easy decision for me, but you just know when it's right. Hopefully we satisfy the old adage – leave them wanting more," said Rivers. "I'm the luckiest radio host in the world. Not only have I been surrounded by iconic talent and given free-reign to create a unique morning show, we’ve amassed an audience so loyal and loving that they have raised millions and saved children's lives all over the world. We enjoyed great ratings over the years, but they only tell part of the story – the bond we’ve had as a cast and with our audience and trusted advertisers trumps all the No. 1's we achieved. I'm about to be a grandfather, I don't want to miss a minute of that. It’s time for my lovely wife, Lisa, to get The Bob Rivers Show live and in person every morning. There are projects waiting, like World Vision, touring with Heart by Heart, maybe popping up on radio from time-to-time.

This is unfortunate. He has heart (as in "...saved children's lives all over the world") and his team books some great interviews EVERY day. One of the first to recognize the value of repurposing his stuff on the web, etc. Hate to see him go, as the void will probably be filled with another "yuk yuk yuk" and "look at us" team of people who all talk at once and think everything they say is hilarious. Good luck to the whole team....the best compliment in my mind is "you did some great radio"; and little doubt you deserve THAT one.

Sad. I'm guessing this is why they're bringing Rob, Arnie & Dawn back (which is deja vu all over again - they took River's spot on KISW after he left for KZOK.) Only to be replaced a few months later by Howard Stern. They didn't do very well.

The only winners are BJ Shea and Danny Bonaduce. There is no way Rob, Arnie & Dawn, syndicated out of Sacremento can compete with them. But as long as they're cheap I guess.

Bob was a world class talent and a true inspiration to people like myself who are trying to work their way into the radio business, and get to the stature that he held. For all I care this Rob&Don BS trash can drive KJR further into a downward spiral and crash the company.

People don't want these syndicated programs, and they never will.

The significance of a multi-decade vet leaving our market seems to be hardly a headline-grabbing issue within this group.
Now if we were to discuss the SIGNAL of 95.7 and whether it could be adequately heard in Astoria, this thread would be up to about 5-6 pages.

Yet ANOTHER example why the evolution of this industry has become so incredibly irrelevant.

Sad to hear Bob Rivers gone. He's a Seattle legend. This is why I HATE MAJOR MARKET RADIO AND CHEAP CHANNEL - replacing legends with stupid, crappy syndicated ones. After 8/8 I suspect 95.7 listeners will hear jokes about farts and burps and Kim Kardashian on 95.7 from those BS syndicated shows. Plus the same 250 burnt-to-a-crisp "oldies". I love small market radio and ALWAYS will.
Oh and BTW - KJR is sometimes heard over KKSR here in Yakima, it's irrevelant but likely will shoot this thread up to 5 pages! But let's focus on Bob Rivers. Great legend who has a big heart.

-crainbebo

The significance of a multi-decade vet leaving our market seems to be hardly a headline-grabbing issue within this group.
Now if we were to discuss the SIGNAL of 95.7 and whether it could be adequately heard in Astoria, this thread would be up to about 5-6 pages.

Yet ANOTHER example why the evolution of this industry has become so incredibly irrelevant.

I think this story holds a different level of importance for everyone. The radio industry, and working as an air personality WILL be my future career, therefore seeing a story like this is very important. It's quite possible that Bob was ready to retire, but it is also possible that CC pushed him out. Its seeing people who are pushed that concern me, because this is a business that I am trying to get into.

As I have said on other threads, this board tends to cater to the interests of those who do not work in radio. Admittedly I tended to be that way before I began trying to get into the biz.

In short, I think its simply an illusion that people do not have interest in the evolution of the industry because this board contains such a diverse group of people who wish to discuss a wide assortment of topics.

I'm going to miss Bob Rivers and crew. I've been listening for about 20 years, and remember the stunts he did at KISW, especially "God's weather". We are going to miss you Bob!

Here's my theory about his retirement. CC would not renew his contract due to not being able to afford him and his crew (due to their debt of course). He decided to take the gentleman's route and retire being that he saw no future in local radio.

Here's my theory on KJR-FM...after 08/08/14 the station will change format (to anything boring and already on six other stations), have a nationally syndicated morning show, be voice tracked all day and be as boring as KUBE, and become a bottom dweller and a waste of spectrum.

Here's my theory on KJR-FM...after 08/08/14 the station will change format (to anything boring and already on six other stations), have a nationally syndicated morning show, be voice tracked all day and be as boring as KUBE, and become a bottom dweller and a waste of spectrum.

I think you are right. I'm not trying to let the "cat out of the bag", but I am keeping tabs on the entire CC cluster in Seattle, anxiously waiting to see if these stations are going to be sold off to a company that supports local hosts. WHEN that happens, I'd really like to make my way in.

Look at it this way... the other CC signal, KYNW, is the ultimate waste of a bandwidth. There are probably less than one hundred people who listen, and that 102.9 signal could be put to a lot better use than what CC has the ability to use it for. When they ran Q-Country, it actually was a pretty decent country music station, but that has all been put to rest. I don't recall how KNBQ performed in the Seattle ratings, but I know for a fact that they had a decent following. KJR is literally the only hope that CC has in the Seattle area, and they are going to mess that up as well.

I think this story holds a different level of importance for everyone. The radio industry, and working as an air personality WILL be my future career, therefore seeing a story like this is very important. It's quite possible that Bob was ready to retire, but it is also possible that CC pushed him out. Its seeing people who are pushed that concern me, because this is a business that I am trying to get into.

As I have said on other threads, this board tends to cater to the interests of those who do not work in radio. Admittedly I tended to be that way before I began trying to get into the biz.

In short, I think its simply an illusion that people do not have interest in the evolution of the industry because this board contains such a diverse group of people who wish to discuss a wide assortment of topics.

It's hard not to be cynical at a notoriously cynical business.

Littleboyblue is right on the mark.

Here's a guy in Bob Rivers that overcomes a huge personal hurdle, comes to Seattle radio in the late 1980s when there was plenty of failures coming in from out of state, has a great personality, strong supporting cast and is a nice guy in person. Yet the only things that can be mustered are Clear Channel bashing, DX reports and writing about the guy in the past tense and making it sound like he's going in the ground tomorrow.

Amazing.

Littleboyblue is right on the mark.

Here's a guy in Bob Rivers that overcomes a huge personal hurdle, comes to Seattle radio in the late 1980s when there was plenty of failures coming in from out of state, has a great personality, strong supporting cast and is a nice guy in person. Yet the only things that can be mustered are Clear Channel bashing, DX reports and writing about the guy in the past tense and making it sound like he's going in the ground tomorrow.

Amazing.

Not so amazing if you consider this place is all about the bees - wannabees, has-bee(ns) and never-will-bes. And everybody knows everything and everyone else is wrong. No wonder there's virtually none of us whose paychecks come from a radio company left here.

As for Mr. Rivers - I was lucky enough to work at Entercom while he was there and he IS (not was) the definition of a class act. You haven't heard the last of him.

Not so amazing if you consider this place is all about the bees - wannabees, has-bee(ns) and never-will-bes. And everybody knows everything and everyone else is wrong. No wonder there's virtually none of us whose paychecks come from a radio company left here.

I wasn't aware that it was a requirement to work on radio to be part of this forum.

I still remember when Bob Rivers was the "new guy" from out of town. I certainly will miss him.

I was only able to listen to a little this morning. What's happening to the rest of the gang? Are Rob, Arnie & Dawn really coming (back) to Seattle airwaves?

As far as I know the rest of the gang is going their separate ways. I tried to call Spike yesterday afternoon but he didn't answer his phone. As for what replaces Bob on 95.7 we all know about the same info here, which appears to be the return of Rob, Arny and Don.

Having some situational awareness is not limited to what someone does or where there may collect a paycheck. It's simply a matter of common decency.

The part I, and maybe you and Littleboyblue will agree, is how a fastball down the middle to fete a Seattle radio legend gets quickly tossed aside in favor of trashing something on a basis that may not even be fact.

If you ever wonder why people you have heard on the radio never contribute to this board, bookmark this thread.

I wasn't aware that it was a requirement to work on radio to be part of this forum.

The 'know it all' attitude of the "experts" is getting to be over the top. I for one do not work in your business...at one time I did want a career in radio, but greed and stock holder worship has ruined a once great medium. (I actually remember when radio was fun.) It's only about the dollars now. The "experts" may whine about what listeners say and put us down, but in the end if they didn't have us, there would be no radio business. So...who now is the wannabe??? (Bob Rivers was the last old school radio show in Seattle...looks like I'll be turning off commercial FM radio for my morning after 8-8-14.)

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom