• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Disappointed With Weather Coverage on Sat Night 7/27

formeraa

Star Participant
For the first time in the 10 years that I've lived here, I feel that the television stations failed (flat out FAILED) to do the right thing. It was clear at 10:15pm that a dangerous line of thunderstorms (yellow and red on the radar) were headed directly into major portions of the Valley (NE, Far North, North Central, West, etc.). Laura Thomas on ABC15 seemed unconcerned. Dr Matt Pace on 12 News showed the storms very clearly but didn't exactly warn us of the potential for damage in the Valley. AFAIK, no stations gave any further weather updates after their newscasts ended. Did anybody see later updates?

I live in Far North Phoenix and the storm was the strongest, longest storm that I've ever experienced here in 10 years. Just a flat out FAIL for our television stations! Very disappointing that they won't stay on when there is potentially dangerous weather in the metro area!

Unfortunately, I suppose this is what our friends in Northern Arizona face every day.:(

Laura on 15 broke in about 1045p or so with an update, but I was already aware of the tremendous storm outside of my home in Pinn Peak by then. The thunder and lightning were so very loud...it really was amazing.
However, I have to disagree with you about the severity of that storm compared to the Great Hail Storm of Oct. 2010, where approx 150,000 homes were damaged in the Valley...Sat night's storm had nothin on that!

Keep an eye on the sky........

For the first time in the 10 years that I've lived here, I feel that the television stations failed (flat out FAILED) to do the right thing. It was clear at 10:15pm that a dangerous line of thunderstorms (yellow and red on the radar) were headed directly into major portions of the Valley (NE, Far North, North Central, West, etc.). Laura Thomas on ABC15 seemed unconcerned. Dr Matt Pace on 12 News showed the storms very clearly but didn't exactly warn us of the potential for damage in the Valley. AFAIK, no stations gave any further weather updates after their newscasts ended. Did anybody see later updates?

I live in Far North Phoenix and the storm was the strongest, longest storm that I've ever experienced here in 10 years. Just a flat out FAIL for our television stations! Very disappointing that they won't stay on when there is potentially dangerous weather in the metro area!

Unfortunately, I suppose this is what our friends in Northern Arizona face every day.:(

You are correct in your assessment that we frequently face severe thunderstorms here in Northern
Arizona. We frequently see yellows, reds and even purple from time to time on radar. On Friday afternoon/
evening and again on Saturday afternoon/evening parts of Prescott received a deluge of rain with dangerous
lightning and extremely high winds yet there was no mention of it on any television station before, during or
afterward. We use the television weather as a only a rough guide up here and suggest you do the same.....

However, I have to disagree with you about the severity of that storm compared to the Great Hail Storm of Oct. 2010, where approx 150,000 homes were damaged in the Valley...Sat night's storm had nothin on that!

I carefully stated that it was the most severe storm that I have experienced in the Valley and, apparently, many others as they share stories in the office this morning. I had hail and rain coming down heavily for 40 minutes at my house. If severity is measured by damage, I'm sure that the 2010 storm caused more $$ in damage.

I carefully stated that it was the most severe storm that I have experienced in the Valley and, apparently, many others as they share stories in the office this morning. I had hail and rain coming down heavily for 40 minutes at my house. If severity is measured by damage, I'm sure that the 2010 storm caused more $$ in damage.

You might check the information about the storm that blew through the northwest valley (Glendale, Deer Valley, Peoria, Sun City, etc.) on August 14,1996. Power poles all along Union Hills were knocked down from about 75th Avenue east, hundreds of trees uprooted and houses damaged. I believe the 1996 storm has been refered to as the most distructive. (https://sites.google.com/site/bluweather//phoenix-and-arizona-weather-history)

Last edited:
You might check the information about the storm that blew through the northwest valley (Glendale, Deer Valley, Peoria, Sun City, etc.) on August 14,1996. Power poles all along Union Hills were knocked down from about 75th Avenue east, hundreds of trees uprooted and houses damaged. I believe the 1996 storm has been refered to as the most distructive. (https://sites.google.com/site/bluweather//phoenix-and-arizona-weather-history)

Thanks for the info! In my original post, I did say that most severe storm "in the PAST 10 YEARS" that I've lived in the Valley.

But my point was that the stations "turned off the radar" and went home when a clearly very severe storm was about to hit the Valley. It seems that the stations neglected their duties to actually serve their DMA. It's clear that management was being cheap, not wanting to pay a couple of hours of overtime to their hourly employees to provide updates. Since the storms are "exciting" to meteorologists, I'm assuming that they would have voluntarily stayed.

LOL! Probably true. And Dr Matt Pace had to be back in the morning to do the 12News Sunday morning newscast, too!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom