• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

World Famous Tom Murphy

semoochie

Star Participant
Several months ago, I read something indicating that Tom Murphy had died. He posted by proxy on Pdxradio.com, in a thread that started July 22nd. He appears to be alive and well.

There was a Tony-Award-winning Irish-born actor with the same name who died in 2007 but the disc jockey Tom Murphy is alive and well.

I have to share a funny story. Many years ago I was driving through Glendale and saw two friends standing outside a restaurant. It was KRLA historian and author Bill Earl and Bakersfield-area DJ Jim Diamond (Gerry Whitehead). They motioned me over and invited me to join them for lunch. Tom Murphy was coming too. Tom at that time was working at KKLA. When Tom walked up to join us, Bill introduced me to Tom but didn't did not introduce Tom. Obviously I knew who Tom was. But I gasped and exclaimed, "Ohhh, you're the famous DJ?" Tom said "Yes." I said, "You used to work at KRLA and KJQI?" Tom, who was now fearful that I'm a crazed fan, gave a very hesitant "Yessss." I reached out my hand and said, "I've always wanted to meet you, Mr. Martindale!" (Referring to another KRLA/KJQI host, Wink Martindale.) Bill and Jim started laughing and Tom said, "Ooh, I know I'm gonna hate this guy." We enjoyed our lunch, though, and the next time I met him we had a good laugh over the first meeting.

There was a Tony-Award-winning Irish-born actor with the same name who died in 2007 but the disc jockey Tom Murphy is alive and well.

I have to share a funny story. Many years ago I was driving through Glendale and saw two friends standing outside a restaurant. It was KRLA historian and author Bill Earl and Bakersfield-area DJ Jim Diamond (Gerry Whitehead). They motioned me over and invited me to join them for lunch. Tom Murphy was coming too. Tom at that time was working at KKLA. When Tom walked up to join us, Bill introduced me to Tom but didn't did not introduce Tom. Obviously I knew who Tom was. But I gasped and exclaimed, "Ohhh, you're the famous DJ?" Tom said "Yes." I said, "You used to work at KRLA and KJQI?" Tom, who was now fearful that I'm a crazed fan, gave a very hesitant "Yessss." I reached out my hand and said, "I've always wanted to meet you, Mr. Martindale!" (Referring to another KRLA/KJQI host, Wink Martindale.) Bill and Jim started laughing and Tom said, "Ooh, I know I'm gonna hate this guy." We enjoyed our lunch, though, and the next time I met him we had a good laugh over the first meeting.
I once heard a story that when Tom was in Portland and virtually owned the town, he couldn't cash his paycheck under his real name because the clerk responded, "What do you mean? You're Tom Murphy!"

I believe this is the same "World's Famous Tom Murphy" who once worked for WAPE 690 Jacksonville, Florida in the mid to late '70s.

I believe this is the same "World's Famous Tom Murphy" who once worked for WAPE 690 Jacksonville, Florida in the mid to late '70s.
No, the Tom Murphy, to which you refer, has spent most of his career in Jacksonville, with stops in Boston and St. Petersburg. The subject of this thread started in his hometown of Portland, moved north to Seattle and spent most of his time in Los Angeles, with stops in Chicago and Cleveland.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom