• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Proof that hearing Hotel California repeatedly will drive you crazy

The article says,

It's unclear which of the band's songs drove Bader over the edge, but police have narrowed down the possible suspects to "Witchy Woman," "Take It Easy," "Peaceful Easy Feeling," "Take It to the Limit," "One of These Nights," "Tequila Sunrise," and "Hotel California" on repeat.

No proof there that it was in fact "only" Hotel California.

R

Those people should have really listened to KRTH, when they were K-Eagles for a weekend.

So a Charleston woman stabbed her roommate several times for refusing to quit playing Eagles songs over and over and over. I'm guessing that she didn't want to hear his explanation that the songs "tested well" and I'm guessing that she didn't consider any of them to be an "Oh wow" song.

"All three were intoxicated at the time"

Says all you need to know.

That woman's face could be used as an emergency brake on a train.

To some of you (not oldies76 or LARR), next time you go shopping, make sure you visit the aisle that carries "sense of humor" products.

BTW to the Big A: The Big Lebowski was set IN LA I believe

Last edited:
How about someday, someone at a major-market FM station gets to play album cuts like "Teenage Jail" or "Pretty Maids All in a Row" (off the HOTEL CALIFORNIA album!) instead of the 2,677th play of "Hotel California"? I've heard it enough on SOFT ROCK stations! Mainly the live one, but once in a while the album version from the 70s.

-crainbebo

How about someday, someone at a major-market FM station gets to play album cuts like "Teenage Jail" or "Pretty Maids All in a Row" (off the HOTEL CALIFORNIA album!) instead of the 2,677th play of "Hotel California"?

That won't happen because many of us who were Top 40 listeners in the 70s' didn't buy the album and would find those songs totally unfamiliar. Listeners who go to classic hits stations want to hear familiar favorite songs. "Hotel California" is one of those for KRTH listeners in LA.

If I want to hear new and unfamiliar songs, I listen to a CHR station and hear the new Iggy Azalea or Ariana Grande or Trey Songz jams, not some old non-hit cut from the 70's.

Teenage Jail was the flip side of Heartache Tonight. I listened to it once, and didn't care for it.

R

The Hotel California: 3 times yesterday and two times this morning already on K-EARTH 101. "The Greatest 400 Burnt To a Crisp Songs of All Time!" I hate major market radio.

-crainbebo

The Hotel California: 3 times yesterday and two times this morning already on K-EARTH 101. "The Greatest 400 Burnt To a Crisp Songs of All Time!" I hate major market radio.

The average KRTH listener spends 2 hours with it per week. That means that, on average they will hear "Hotel California" once every month. That is a long rest for a very big song.

Our of curiosity, what is a ballpark percentage, just generally, that just leaves the radio on one station for several hours for say, five days a week? I was thinking that if it was large enough that in some markets, certain formats might be able to program to these people directly.

At the post office where I work, the supervisor usually had the radio tuned to KRTH. So many of us complained that we're tired of hearing the same songs over and over and over and over, she finally switched it to R&B oldies KHHT. I was the biggest complainer. ("Oh yeah, Steve, like that is a surprise!") For almost every song that came on, I would shout a variation of one of these comments: "Oh wow, I haven't heard that song for two hours!" or "Oh boy, a 35-year-old song that I've been sick of for 34 years!" I'd like to think that my daily comments were the main reason the supervisor changed the station. :)

At the post office where I work, the supervisor usually had the radio tuned to KRTH. So many of us complained that we're tired of hearing the same songs over and over and over and over, she finally switched it to R&B oldies KHHT.

KHHT has a smaller library than KRTH.

And all you have to do is substitute "If I Can't Have You" and "Let's Stay Together" for "Hotel California" and "Brown Eyed Girl" and you have exactly the same format mechanics.

Less than 450 on KHHT. That's bad. They can upgrade to 900 or 1000 rhythmic oldies songs and it would be MUCH better. Pull out the rarer songs once in a while!

-crainbebo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom