• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

boycott radio 1045

hangman

Frequent Participant
Just when I thought they were through playing that Radical, Liberal, Anti W-America Band, RATM, last night they had the gaul to play them, its been years since I heard them on 1045. For the past few years their lineup was becoming soft and mellow, then this shock. Instead of playing great older Alternative Harder cuts, ala when they first signed on such as: the Sex Pistols, 7 Mary Three, Flys, Screaming Trees, Better than Ezra, Silverchair, Spacehog, Candlebox, Cake, AinC, Local H, Days of the New, RHCP, EVE 6, Tonic, Filter, the Verve, Todies, Blind Melon, Sonic Youth, XTC, Sisters of Mercy, the Cure, the Smiths and a whole host of others, they have to constantly go back to this Crap Band that never made it. Before anyone has some derogatory remarks to make, just think if your father was taken from you at an early age by some convicted killer, that beat the death penalty and this band supports him, what would you think....

wrff_logo_0_1405430856.jpg

Guess you should boycott any and all stations that play any and all artists that support Obama, too, then. What do you think is going to happen, they get Dixie Chicks'd? Do you really think any of the artists you mentioned as alternatives are any more in line with your politics?

This is exactly why boycotting on the basis of a musician's political views is stupid: you're not listening for their politics, you're listening for their music. I can listen to hip-hop all day every day for a solid year, not agree with a single artist's political position, and still enjoy it. Why? Because I'm not listening for their politics, I'm listening for their music. Even if their music IS political, I can enjoy it. Hell, Genesis' "Land of Confusion" was patently anti-Reagan and Thatcher. Did I agree with their stance? Not at all. But is it still a damn good song that I rock out to when it pops up on my playlist? You bet it is. Just the same with the Disturbed version, which itself was anti-W. I still enjoy it.

By all means, if you don't want to listen, don't listen. But if the liberal politics of one band are reason enough for you to boycott an entire radio station, you're gonna have to boycott just about every radio station in existence. That even includes Christian stations.

There's no reason they couldn't trend more active if they wanted, as WMMR is pretty much straight-forward rock (with the other half of their airtime devoted to older rock). Unfortunately, Mumford & Sons are the ones currently selling out arenas, so what we get is that dopey banjo pop all damn day.

I was actually comparing playlists of CC's recently-launched "alt" rockers with 1045's playlist yesterday and noticed 104.5 trending just a *bit* harder. 1045 has been pretty much intolerable the last few years with all the lite-alt pop crossover garbage one can already hear (and that they happily promote!) on sister stations Q and Mix.

If they started doing the Zach de la Rocha hour every day to let him spout his political views, I'd see where you're coming from. But for them to be rock heard in many other markets that the only other rock station is town isn't touching? That's good news to me.

Based on their piss-poor billing, I'd say there has long been a boycott of Radio 104.5.

That being said, if you're gonna avoid liberals, you might want to replace all of your presets with WPHT.

I was actually comparing playlists of CC's recently-launched "alt" rockers with 1045's playlist yesterday and noticed 104.5 trending just a *bit* harder. 1045 has been pretty much intolerable the last few years with all the lite-alt pop crossover garbage one can already hear (and that they happily promote!) on sister stations Q and Mix.
I'd say Radio 104.5 has gotten difficult to listen to lately, but the overload of Alt-folk and synth-pop has just about ruined my interest in Alt-"rock".

that souds so stupid to boyscott

Hey guys give it up it dumb boyscott the station I wishe I do same for all my local fortwayne station but in long run u really can't it money and the rating what make them make those changes in longs run if it make money they will find a ways to do it so get over It about boys cotting station

A station in Philadelphia that plays bands that actively support Mumia is monumentally boneheaded. This isn't about "liberals". It's about a band that has raised money to help a guy who kMURDERED a Philadelphia city cop. This is a personal and local thing.

Thank you, at least you get the point. I dont know if the ban is still in effect but WMMR's old PD, his name escapes me now, would not play any RATM, he received a written apology from X-Rage Tom Morello of the band Audioslave in order to play their music. Bad Religion is another band that supports the murderer but I dont think they are popular to even get a slot on any Rocker. Remember what RATM stands for...Rage=Anger/Rebellion/Violence, Against=Opposition to, Machine="W" America in control of the USA, (which is a bunch of bull); just the facts..

ass.jpg

In fairness, I think most of these people either don't live in the area, aren't familiar with Rage's off stage antics, or they don't know about the Faulkner murder.

Anyone working in radio in Philly needs to know how important that case is to the people there.

I think its the listener not really paying attention to the lyrics, they are just into the music. This is how Rap bands get their message across, one band for instance is Public Enemy, their lyrics were so anti-white, it was pathetic, but many white listeners embraced them and all the Rap acts with the same violent themes. I asked a guy with a PE T shirt years back if he knew what they were saying in their songs and he had no clue. That is the bottom line, the average listener does not pay attention to the lyrics and if they do they don't care. But as soon as a Heavy Metal band has some derogatory lyrics, not racist mind you, they are crucified on the spot, its according to what element that makes the music that allows it to go over the airwaves.

Now you're just being silly. Public Enemy wasn't an "anti white" group.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom