• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

980 KFWB Am flipping?

If KFWB flips,that will be the fourth all sports station in LA. How small can you slice the pie? I can't imagine KFWB's .02 share will increase. WIP in Philly is a full time CBS Sports affiliate and they routinely get no higher than a .1 or a .2. Of course they are up against two FM signals. Surprising there is no FM Sports talker in LA. It's one of the few major markets without one.

Even if the 0.2 goes from being made up of 55+ to being made up of 25-54 men, KFWB's better off.

Again, if this is true, I think it's a blocking move. If KABC had followed up its Kings deal by going all-sports, KFWB would have had nowhere to go but Asian, and given that there hasn't been a sale in all these years, I'm guessing nobody in that game wants to pay what the trust wants for the station. This allows KFWB to survive and may force KABC to consider other options.

As for being the third or fourth station in a segment, it happens all the time. If your programming and your promotion is better than just one of the existing stations in the format, you force them out and you have a new life.

One possible bright spot from this - CBS Sports will move off of KCBS-FM HD2, opening up that signal to a new music format. Personally, I would like to see AAA there - and 93.1 was once the home of long-running KNX-FM, so it would be a nice return of sorts for AAA to that spot on the dial.

There is the old story, that I think has been debunked (but what the heck), that the last DJ on color radio 98 signed off the transition to the news format by saying "We'll be back with more music right after the news". It would be a great stunt to play a few days of old Color radio 98 after having a dj come on and say "... and now back to the music". True story or not, it would be a lot of fun.

No need for the pros to come in and say that there are no ratings to be had by having fun. I know already.

There is the old story, that I think has been debunked (but what the heck), that the last DJ on color radio 98 signed off the transition to the news format by saying "We'll be back with more music right after the news".

Debunked by the guy who created the myth ... the late Don Herbert, one of the long-time anchors of KFWB's news format:

http://www.reelradio.com/comment/co...Weed,+KFWB+Los+Angeles,+1968~../dj/index.html

Scroll down to my comment of 10/17/07 where I quote from his book.

I---and probably thousands of others---have the aircheck of KFWB's final hour of music on March 9, 1968. Gene Weed was the DJ. That spurious "More music after the news" comment makes me think of one of Yogi Berra's lines: "I never said most of the things I said."

David, you say that the Los Angeles population is 45% Hispanic. Haven't the Dodgers had a lot of Hispanic fans ever since the "Fernandomania" of the 1980s? And we also have Galaxy soccer. Do you think that a Spanish-language sports format would work in L.A.?

I---and probably thousands of others---have the aircheck of KFWB's final hour of music on March 9, 1968. Gene Weed was the DJ. That spurious "More music after the news" comment makes me think of one of Yogi Berra's lines: "I never said most of the things I said."

David, you say that the Los Angeles population is 45% Hispanic. Haven't the Dodgers had a lot of Hispanic fans ever since the "Fernandomania" of the 1980s? And we also have Galaxy soccer. Do you think that a Spanish-language sports format would work in L.A.?

KWKW is all sports.

KWKW is all sports. Well, David, that shows you how little attention I pay to Spanish-language stations! Now...as for Fred thinking that Mr. Wizard was on KFWB, do you want to tell him or should I? :)

I believe Jim Healy's family still has copies of all his many sound bites and Lasorda tirades. In tribute to Healy, it would be fun if one of the sports stations could find somebody to do a half-hour "Healy-style" evening program using those sound bites, along with all the memorable rants and speeches of the past 20 years. And there will be many more rants and speeches to come. I think we all would listen to such a program, the way we all listened to Healy.

Do I dare add a third name to the mix? The 1960-63 King Leonardo cartoon series included a character called Wizard the Lizard, voiced by Sandy Becker. Tooter Turtle always addressed him as "Mr. Wizard."

And let's not forget: "You're a wizard, Harry." "I'm a what?"

There is the old story, that I think has been debunked (but what the heck), that the last DJ on color radio 98 signed off the transition to the news format by saying "We'll be back with more music right after the news".

I've heard that same story, but it was for the flip of WINS in NYC back in the 60's.

Do I dare add a third name to the mix? The 1960-63 King Leonardo cartoon series included a character called Wizard the Lizard, voiced by Sandy Becker. Tooter Turtle always addressed him as "Mr. Wizard."

And let's not forget: "You're a wizard, Harry." "I'm a what?"

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."
Professor Marvel
Frank Morgan (no relation to Robert W).

Nobody beats the Wiz.

I thought AFTRA-SAG and Equity prohibited anyone from using the same name as another "artist," the Hopalong Cassidy rule.

KWKW is all sports. Well, David, that shows you how little attention I pay to Spanish-language stations!

KWKW has been all sports and sort of the anchor station for ESPN Deportes en Español for something like 6 or 7 years. Like many all sports stations, they have unimpressive ratings and huge billings.

I swear that this means nothing other than a play on words, that just popped into my head: If KFWB went to a non-English speaking format, they could call it "People of Color Radio". :)

Semoochie, if you could come up with such a bizarre phrase, then I think maybe you've been going out in the Field and smoking some Weed.

Don Barrett's LARadio.com is reporting that the KFWB Asset Trust has notified all the KFWB employees that they will be terminated on August 31. The sports format is set to debut on September 1. But "The Beast"? Really? No one could come up with a better identifier than that?

In the November 4 election, Oregonians will get to vote on a measure that will legalize the "recreational use" of marijuana for adults 21 and older. I'm sure this comes as a result of all the lobbying by the hundreds of thousands of California hippies who moved to Oregon in the 1970s-80s.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled KFWB discussion.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom