• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Magic 98.9 flipping to a "Simon" variety hits format?

I would have thought so myself. The only reason why I'm giving this more validity than other rumors is that Entercom forced Chuck to stop using "We Play Everything". They've been using it for more than two years so why threaten them with a trademark issue now? And supposedly it was Entercom Greenville that filed the grievance.
On the other hand, Bob in Myrtle Beach says "We play anything".

I know that this will be an allegedly "well thought-out" playlist, and heck....it might even be scribbled by a guy named "Simon". If it comes piped in that way, then we'll just have to wait, and see how well it flies. However, so far, has Entercom crafted or bought anything to aid themselves?

I know that this will be an allegedly "well thought-out" playlist, and heck....it might even be scribbled by a guy named "Simon". If it comes piped in that way, then we'll just have to wait, and see how well it flies. However, so far, has Entercom crafted or bought anything to aid themselves?
Entercom, in fact, owns 98.7 Simon in Greensboro, which is a success, so they've done this before.

...aaaaaaaand doing something before, guarantees success? No,...Outta the chute, it'll give them a good Spike book, but after that, they won't have a clue.
They have been....Oaffing in this market...for years!

Still not 100% sure whether this will happen, but no matter what, Entercom needs to do something to jump start 98.9. Magic was down to just a 3.4 12+ in the Spring book. MY was almost a full point ahead of them at 4.3 but both stations used to be in the 5.x range regularly about 5 years ago. I think as carolinaradio mentioned the straight AC format is struggling in a lot of markets with more of these variety hits type stations. And here, Earth and Chuck (and the classic rock stations). With Earth up to a 2.7 in the Spring, how much longer could it possibly be before it even overtakes Magic -- especially if it does get a second signal?

I've heard Magic's June trends were much worse even than they were in the Spring.

I don't think it would do any worse with a Simon format. Another one here mentioned that Entercom recently got some new equipment with a newer Magic logo. I wonder if it would even be possible for them to keep the Magic name and still go variety hits.

Again, don't think I'd give as much credence to this rumor if they hadn't gone after Chuck to stop using "We Play Everything". Just seems like an odd situation to even do that, regardless of what plans they have in the market.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom