• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Magic 98.9 flipping to a "Simon" variety hits format?

Word has it that 98.9 is going to flip to variety hits (Entercom's Simon format). It's been struggling, but this would be surprising nonetheless given that Chuck is already covering it (albeit on a smaller signal) and Earth, Rock 101 and The Road all are fighting for the same demo.

But there's a lot of things pointing to it. SIMON989.com was registered yesterday and, even more of a sign that it's not a smokescreen, Entercom forced Summit to stop using the "we play everything" tag line on Chuck with a trademark claim.

As another member here mentioned offline, Entercom even had a variety hits station with Charlie on 106.3 a ways back. And you'd think this would also hurt their own Classic Rock 101.

If true, I think there could be a domino effect in the area. Chuck may go under facing a station with a much stronger signal and, if that happens, I wouldn't be shocked if Summit kills both of it's translators (the other being X98.5).

Speaking of X, there was a rumor that Earth was going to take over 98.5's lease, but I'm hearing more that it may go to 96.7. Summit's leases on the translators were started in June or July (at least for 98.5). So I think any Earth deal would have already occurred.

In any case, sounds like there could be a lot of movement in the GSP market in the coming months.

What do you guys think of the seemingly real flip for 98.9?

Last edited:
Magic's format has been struggling in many formats nationwide, but the thing is just too dang stale. Very little new music, the same thing hashed over and over. Although, I have thought that Sheri Taylor has been doing a good job in the mid-day shift. AC stations like Magic have been struggling in a lot of markets with classic hits hurting the older end and Hot AC/CHR hurting the younger end. Many female listeners are sticking with the Hot AC and CHR formats longer instead of starting to listen to AC stations. Some AC stations have gone in a more Hot AC direction, but I don't think there's really room for that.
If you have paid attention to Magic over the past year or so, it's become very obvious that Entercom is putting less and less effort in to it. Syndicated mornings, voicetracked afternoons, no promotion, etc.

I'm not sure what kind of impact MY has had on Magic, but I just hope Magic going away wouldn't make them go back in a more mainstream AC direction. A flip to variety hits would have 98.9 playing much of the same music as 97.7, 101.1, 103.3, 104.9. However, I'd enjoy it more than what is on there now.

I'd think it would be a huge mistake if MY went back in the mainstream AC direction. Seems like they finally hit their stride with Hot AC and to turn back could be a disaster, especially with all the stations you mentioned that will be playing 70s and 80s. If anything, I think this would benefit MY with really only B93.7 competing for the younger demo. Why take a risk in an area already oversaturated? Hot 98.1, while being all over the place, is still largely urban leaning as a CHR.

I do kind of hope that if 98.9 does go to variety hits that it at least skews a little younger and hipper like Charlie did (more new wave type 80s with 90s and 2000s with little to no 70s). Especially if X goes, it would benefit from even hitting some of the adult alternative spectrum (like the former Dave FM in Atlanta).

Oops...should have included X as part of that younger demo (unfortunately on a weak signal, but hey, gotta stick up for the one station I actually like around here).

Take the time to point the boney finger of blame,....but no,...it don't have to make a flip, at all. Hiring the right, knowledgeable person to make the right decisions, can/could keep the current format. Clearly,...no one there knows how!

Just like Jed Clampet sez........Pitti-ful,....Jest Pitti-ful!

Where this rumor may have started is the end of 97.7 FM in Asheville being used by Magic. Kiss added an HD channel with variety hits called "The Brew", and it airs on 97.7.

And if anyone in the area can pick up this station on HD, it might be worthwhile to compare it to Chuck.

Where this rumor may have started is the end of 97.7 FM in Asheville being used by Magic. Kiss added an HD channel with variety hits called "The Brew", and it airs on 97.7.

And if anyone in the area can pick up this station on HD, it might be worthwhile to compare it to Chuck.

I looked into that but that's now owned/leased by Clear Channel so don't think the format or playlist would necessarily be like what Magic may become.

I did listen to Entercom's Simon station in Greensboro. Seems wider in playlist than Chuck, but still focusing more on that type of audience -- 70s, 80s and 90s in the mix. Actually seemed a bit unwieldy -- going from something like The Offspring into Janis Joplin. Kind of yucky IMO.

Not sure if Entercom would give more leeway to their local markets or if that's just the way all of their "Simon" branded stations will/do sound.

Still hope for a younger skew if it happens here. I think all the other stations in this market cover the 70s and 80s well enough -- particularly with Earth rising in the ratings.

I like the variety hits format on 102.9 the Lake, which overlaps in much of the WSPA coverage area. It too used to be a lite rock/adult AC format which had become stale. Much better now. And I can get their HD signal at my house in Greenville. Hopefully this change will also be an improvement for 98.9 which has also become tired. Something new is definitely needed.

I like the variety hits format on 102.9 the Lake, which overlaps in much of the WSPA coverage area. It too used to be a lite rock/adult AC format which had become stale. Much better now. And I can get their HD signal at my house in Greenville. Hopefully this change will also be an improvement for 98.9 which has also become tired. Something new is definitely needed.

Actually, I even picked up The Lake on Woodruff Road clearly a few days ago. Only listened to a song or two but seemed like a decent station. And from what I could tell, had an on-air staff unlike many of the branded variety hits stations.

One reason Entercom reportedly killed Charlie was because it was eating in to Rock 101's audience. How is a variety hits format on 98.9 supposed to be any different? The format has already been struggling on 97.7 (although it's horribly programmed), though the ratings on 98.9 have been cratering and they need to do something.

Simon in GSO actually plays MORE 70s music than Chuck FM plays, by a long shot. Even back to the 60s. Most of the playlist is 70s/80s/90s, like Chuck but much better. It has a much better variety, also.

If Summit Media ditched the translators, you can bet Entercom and/or Clear Channel would make a play for them. They aren't going to go away.

Simon in GSO actually plays MORE 70s music than Chuck FM plays, by a long shot. Even back to the 60s. Most of the playlist is 70s/80s/90s, like Chuck but much better. It has a much better variety, also.

I can definitely see that Simon in Greensboro has a greater variety, easily, just from the extremes I heard. Just, for my tastes, it leans probably even a little older than Chuck. And, even aside from personal preferences, I don't that's a good thing in this market. Earth, Chuck, Rock 101 and the Road (not to mention the tiny Abigal, which only seems to hit downtown Greenville).

Those stations were probably part of Magic's own demise. And while the mix certainly would be a big change, it still is very much in the same older leaning demo. So I don't see how it will fly. It's not like they'd be using it as a buffer. It's a full wattage signal and, like you said, probably could hurt Rock 101 even more than what's already occurred over the past fee years.

When Charlie was on, Rock 101 was playing a wider variety of rock so even the younger skew with more 90s and some 2000s may have had an impact. But things have changed. 101 is now officially classic rock so it's probably more 70s than ever. And we all know The Planet is still very much Active Rock despite it's name change.

So if Entercom really wants to make an impact, I'd still think it'd be in their best interest to have a younger leaning variety hits. I think it could even make a bit of a dent into MY's ratings if it was a "hipper" mix. Again, though, I don't know what kind of local customization they would give to a Simon station.

Another station with a lot of 70s is overkill with the way this market has evolved.

I agree with Carolinaradio! ....and it's easy to see how it was eating into WROQ....what they want, but in less repetition. With WROQ, it's not the Air Talent, but merely the Boob allowed to set that Burnt playlist on a daily basis; might even be a Pencilneck Desk Pilot Consultant far...far....away.

I said all along....they need to hire someone to fix MAGIC, that truthfully knows how. There is no one on the Entercom staff that does. If so, management would have moved them by now.

Actually, I even picked up The Lake on Woodruff Road clearly a few days ago. Only listened to a song or two but seemed like a decent station. And from what I could tell, had an on-air staff unlike many of the branded variety hits stations.

If you have a home radio receiver connected to rabbit ears, then you can get the Charlotte stations clearly. Including several of the HD Radio signals. Although car reception can become spotty in some areas. Channel 96.1 and Kiss 95.1 seem strongest, but 107.9 the Link recently increased power on their HD signal, so it locks in much better in the car. And I also recommend a dedicated Winegard 6000 FM antenna in the attic. It gets GSP, Charlotte, and some Asheville and Columbia.

going from something like The Offspring into Janis Joplin. Kind of yucky IMO.
That's what this format is supposed to be.

Simon has done very well. Among stations not specifically targeting African-Americans it has often been no. 1 over the past few years. There is no FM "classic hits" station and a lot of the songs sound like what a 70s-based oldies/classic hits station would play. CC AC WMAG only beats them at Christmas, but in fact they beat everyone.

Even if Magic isn't "soft", a lot of the market would be left without anything soft. Star in Myrtle Beach made a change similar to what My did, but there, WEZV is easy listening. In the Greenville area, if you can't pick up WHLC 104.5 in Highlands you're out of luck.From greenville westward this is actually possible, according to that station's web site, but Spartanburg would be out of range.

That's what this format is supposed to be.

I understand that and probably overreacted there. On those kinds of stations, the more variety, the better. But the way it's mixed can have an impact. You can mix things to where it blends well. Like the aforementioned Offspring to Janis Joplin, the result was jarring. Just think programming the right transitions is just as important as having a wide playlist.

Anyway, I hear what you're saying about not being any "soft" stations in the GSP market. The only one left would really be Abigal, which is so centered in downtown Greenville that it really won't pint to much.

However, if Magic does flip. I still believe it would be best to have a variety hits mix that leaned younger. As carolinaradio mentioned, Simon in Greensboro plays a lot more 70s than even Chuck, which I even consider older skewing compared to some variety hits stations.

Classic Rock 101.1, The Road, Earth and Chuck already are playing plenty of 70s music and all are aiming for an older demo. I think an "everything" station that was more centered on 80s/90s/00s would have a better chance of making waves in this market. And also wouldn't hurt Entercom's own 101.1.

Just my opinion. With the "X" generation in their 40s now, it's a good target demo to go after. And 70s is a turn off for many in that group.

Magic989

I would enjoy a new,fresh sound from Magic98.9. My 1025 has definitely sounded a whole lot better lately. I think Magic should change to an adult hits station similar to 102.9 The Lake in Charlotte. They tend to play a great variety of fresh music and I think 98.9 would do well in this category. Any news on when Magic will flip formats?

I think it might just be the rumor mill, I have no idea. I noticed they've gotten some new promos for Magic, and the simon989 domain was just registered through GoDaddy and doesn't look to be registered like Entercom domains typically are.

I think it might just be the rumor mill, I have no idea. I noticed they've gotten some new promos for Magic, and the simon989 domain was just registered through GoDaddy and doesn't look to be registered like Entercom domains typically are.

I would have thought so myself. The only reason why I'm giving this more validity than other rumors is that Entercom forced Chuck to stop using "We Play Everything". They've been using it for more than two years so why threaten them with a trademark issue now? And supposedly it was Entercom Greenville that filed the grievance.

That's the only thing that has me thinking this could be more than just a rumor.

Oh and it's not just a "trademark" issue on the sense that any station shouldn't be using it if it isn't owned by Entercom. The Chuck in Charleston (owned by Apex) is still using the tag line.

If it is just a rumor or smokescreen, Entercom is really making a production out of it.

Last edited:
That's a good point, and I had thought the same thing before I made that post. A variety hits format on 98.9 would totally eclipse 97.7 (look at the coverage areas), so maybe Entercom thinks Chuck FM is enough of a non-factor.

I don't really understand how Entercom was able to do that with "we play anything." They aren't even using it in the market that Chuck FM is in...how do they have any kind of claim? It's obviously not trademarked by Entercom to the point that they're the only broadcasting company that can use it (like Clear Channel's Kiss FM mainly is). I guess if they copyrighted it, it seems to me that every other station would have to stop using it as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom