• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Howies time is coming...

Wimmmex

Star Participant
Also I'll hint that Howie is minding his own business, because money really matters to him...

I think my prediction is going to come to fruition.

Howie will self-syndicate (with the help of others), and WRKO continues to carry the show as his Boston "affiliate", without owning the show.

Howie (and his staff) will deal with his stations on his regional network, the fees charged, and the spots, etc.

How this big arithmetic formula works out to figure Howie's compensation is anyone's guess.

Will WRKO pay him for the show....if they don't get all the spots and affiliate revenue?

Will Howie give the show to WRKO for free because he needs it to air on a major station in a major market?

Will any of this add up to his current $800k/yr he is currently taking home?

Since there appears to be no takers for him when he becomes a free agent, is this the best he can do (self-syndicate)? Would he do better simply making a new deal with WRKO in which he doesn't have to worry about affiliates, spots, technical, etc?

I would imagine if WRKO intends to keep him, they will offer him less money.

Who is representing him this time legally? (Whoever it is, they are probably telling him to be quiet about his contract, even though it ends in just 60(?) days.)

First, apparently WEEI is trying to have Minihane be the outrageous guy leading ears to tune in; he just got named Olby's
worst person in the worrrrrrrrrrrrrrrld.

Howie had signed with Global Media with the intention of going beyond New England but I'm not sure that will happen given his New England tilt. Herald story yesterday by Heslam had Michael Harrison of TALKERS mentioning how Boston used to have the likes of Brudnoy, Williams, and Burns (yes as Archie and Edith used to sing, those...were...the...days!) but now talk radio suffers in this town (though the NPR stations are doing well) and he suggested fixes. (Harrison also mentioned how personality-type DJs are lacking on music radio; who's your favorite DJ on the Bull? Ha, there are none! Yet.)

Howie does have a little extra money coming in via appearances on Newsmax, and as I said "money really matters to him"
so look for those folks to work with him, as I understand it (get it..?)

I'd think RKO would indeed continue as is with the Kuhner Man, brokered biz radio, Rush, and buying Howie from Global Media, and I don't know the arrangement. Unless Ent. decides to halt the talk, feeling they can't get much money from the demo
who enjoys it. The elections coming up later this year will get them some paid ads and some attention, but when does Howie's contract run out; Sept. or Nov.?

Don't know who is legally representing him but I'd think they could either take Howie from the syndicator or make a one yr deal etc and keep all of his stations (Burl, Worc, Cape, Portland, etc) Or would he wind up on the smaller stations that were running Graham before--but no, WRKO would have to be a piece in the puzzle...Or could he wind up on 1510? Could they afford him one way or the other?

Ent. also is negotiating with Dennis and Callahan... lowball offer time tho I guess they're doing OK.

Last edited:
Who Cares !!! Nobody listens to RKO anymore.. BORING RADIO .!
I think my prediction is going to come to fruition.

Howie will self-syndicate (with the help of others), and WRKO continues to carry the show as his Boston "affiliate", without owning the show.

Howie (and his staff) will deal with his stations on his regional network, the fees charged, and the spots, etc.

How this big arithmetic formula works out to figure Howie's compensation is anyone's guess.

Will WRKO pay him for the show....if they don't get all the spots and affiliate revenue?

Will Howie give the show to WRKO for free because he needs it to air on a major station in a major market?

Will any of this add up to his current $800k/yr he is currently taking home?

Since there appears to be no takers for him when he becomes a free agent, is this the best he can do (self-syndicate)? Would he do better simply making a new deal with WRKO in which he doesn't have to worry about affiliates, spots, technical, etc?

I would imagine if WRKO intends to keep him, they will offer him less money.

Who is representing him this time legally? (Whoever it is, they are probably telling him to be quiet about his contract, even though it ends in just 60(?) days.)

(Harrison also mentioned how personality-type DJs are lacking on music radio; who's your favorite DJ on the Bull? Ha, there are none! Yet.)

He thinks Boston radio is lacking personality-type DJs on music radio? I guess he's never heard Carter Allen, Chuck Nowlin, Gregg Daniels, Mike Hsu, Mistress Carrie, or the morning hosts like Matty Siegel, Karson and Kennedy, Karlson and McKenzie, or Baltazar and Pebbles?

Who Cares !!! Nobody listens to RKO anymore.. BORING RADIO .!

How did we know Moe would chime in?

Seems Howie's name can't be mentioned without it being a trigger for Omnibus.

Where's Larry and Curly?

Last edited:
Nobody listens to RKO anymore, yeah that explains the 0.0 they've gotten in the ratings. Also how could Nixon have been re-elected in '72 when that movie critic or whomever didn't know anyone who voted for him? Fear not; if you don't like RKO, or BZ, or WUFC, there's the tote bag station(s) doing talk shows (Jim & Margery etc) supported by Listeners Like You.

No doubt the various political candidates, even Dems like Coakley or Grossman, will not spend any ad money this year on
WRKO because hey, nobody listens to them...

Didn't your old buddy , the dean of Boston talkrado, do the same kind of publicity stunts? Parking tickets rallies, fee and fine protests? Seat belt roadblocks? All for publicity..,

Nobody listens to RKO anymore, yeah that explains the 0.0 they've gotten in the ratings. Also how could Nixon have been re-elected in '72 when that movie critic or whomever didn't know anyone who voted for him? Fear not; if you don't like RKO, or BZ, or WUFC, there's the tote bag station(s) doing talk shows (Jim & Margery etc) supported by Listeners Like You.

No doubt the various political candidates, even Dems like Coakley or Grossman, will not spend any ad money this year on
WRKO because hey, nobody listens to them...

only reason why ppl still listen is there the only game in town pardon the pun!!

Yes though technically there is WUFC with a mix of talk and sports talk, but the ratings prob aren't there (as well as WBZ at night, some public radio shows). With WUFC, WRKO can't say they're the only full time talk signal in town and the liners now say "THE talk station in town", minus "only".

Believe the guy behind those rallies, Robert Fish, is quite dead. Desperate acts by a dying radio station on both accounts - one because the FCC yanked the broadcast license from corrupt O'Neil family who owned WRKO - General Tire and Rubber Company and now by the bottom feeders of Entercom and their lackeys.
Didn't your old buddy , the dean of Boston talkrado, do the same kind of publicity stunts? Parking tickets rallies, fee and fine protests? Seat belt roadblocks? All for publicity..,

Well, even Howie would probably say (knowing the way he's felt about the company) that given the recent Kirk Minihane incident, the Entercom has hit the fan :)

Believe the guy behind those rallies, Robert Fish, is quite dead. Desperate acts by a dying radio station on both accounts - one because the FCC yanked the broadcast license from corrupt O'Neil family who owned WRKO - General Tire and Rubber Company and now by the bottom feeders of Entercom and their lackeys.

So when the politics suit you...rallies and publicity are fine.

When they don't...it's the end of the world.

Got it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom