• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

2 new FM signals on the air in Jacksonville and one of them is playing Oldies!

FYI - Two new FM signals (both Class D translators) signed on from one of the tall towers near Hogan Rd., in the Southside of Jacksonville, this past Thursday July 17th. W262AG at 100.3 with 228 watts e.r.p., is simulcasting AM 600 The Answer. So far, the 100.3 signal seems strong and steady throughout most of the city proper from the Westside to the Jax Beaches. Also signing on, is W271AP at 102.3 with 99 watts e.r.p., simulcasting a satellite delivered 60's and 70's based Good Time Oldies format on AM 1600 The Beach (WZNZ Atlantic Beach). Apparently an arrangement was made with Phillips Broadcasting's WFOY in St. Augustine, where they move from 102.3 to 102.1 to minimize mutual interference and maximize the coverage area of both translator signals. Except for a couple of locally oriented time brokered programs that remain, 1600 The Beach does not yet have any local music programming. It's my understanding that the 102.3 signal will be broadcasting in stereo as soon as the necessary studio - transmitter links have been installed. Until that installation is complete, the audio quality all of the satellite delivered programming on both FM 100.3 and FM 102.3 will be subject to higher than normal amounts of distortion. Obviously, the goal is to clean up the audio asap, so do keep that in mind should you decide to sample either signal right now. :)

Last edited:
UPDATE: Just after I posted this afternoon, both translators went silent! In talking with someone who should know, apparently some engineering issues have to be resolved. Since they're still in the testing phase, it may be a few days before they resume programming.

UPDATE to the UPDATE: As of 12:30 today 7/24/14, the translators at 100.3 and 102.3 were back on the air. Although I'm sure engineering will be making adjustments at this early stage.

Thank you so much for getting out the info on this. I don’t know who is involved in putting this all together, but I’m sure I’ll have the opportunity to thank in person. There’s to be a promotional kick-off inviting listeners and I’m sure sponsors to an event. I will attend. Not sure where and when yet but there’s time. I would love to meet some of the posters if they attend.

I don’t know how the technical/signal aspects of the translator work but in my neck of the woods, 102.3 sounds good in the car. Work is in the Southpoint area and I live around Baymeadows – no issues. Gees, even pulling into the garage at home with garage door closed – no issues. And that’s a good thing!

I’ll get the word out as best I can. Social media will be a big help. It’s not a full power signal but I'm grateful. I can't help but think of Magic 107.3. It's gone 2.5 years now and there has been such a sad void in the market. I love radio and I much prefer listening and supporting a local station than anything else. Oh, and a Beatles weekend is coming celebrating the Fab 4's 50th anniversary. Tons of stations have done tributes earlier this year. Jacksonville - Better late than never is my motto! Happy listening!

AM1600 is Excellent-Love the Imaging and it is the Westwood One Good Time Oldies Format their airing. I guess it is owned by the Catholic Church??? A Lot of NEWS and PSA's During the Local Break Windows. We can pick up AM 1600 here now in Daytona Beach as 1590 WPUL Went Silent.

Last edited:
I'm showing some ignorance here. I didn't even know about AM1600. BTW, it comes in where I live too. A while back a poster talked of oldies coming back to Jax and I seem to think it was AM1600. But, the conversation went to how only those in the beaches area could hear it so I didn't bother. Maybe the signal changed...maybe I just got it wrong.

I agree with last poster...lots of PSA and news in what I sampled last night driving home from dinner. I'm thinking that won't be the norm or it shouldn't be. FM doesn't have that vibe and trust me, even the most interested listener musically will get disinterested fast.

On a side note, I heard Tom Murphy on some spots. Maybe he's been there all the while - I just didn't know. Happy for him. Still, I wish this board could be more on the ball reporting things. Hopefully that will change too. G'day all!

JohnJax,

Here's the scoop. 1600 WZNZ-AM (currently 1600 The Beach) is owned by Queen of Peace, who owns and operates Catholic formatted AM 1460 here in Jacksonville. 1600 The Beach is being programmed by Chesapeake-Portsmouth, who own talk formatted AM 600 WBOB, under an LMA. As I was alluding to in my initial posting, if they REALLY want to appeal and super serve the Oldies audience in Jacksonville, they'll have to tweak the presentation, as the satellite delivered format, while quite good, could be more appealing, especially if they consider programming some of the weekday dayparts with local talent. WBOB already has Tom Murphy, Tony Mann, and A.J. Davis in the building. They all have solid Oldies experience and credentials. It will all boil down to whether or not management wants to invest in the format and do it correctly. The good thing is, at least we now have some Oldies on the air in Jacksonville, Florida! :)

Rdsradio4 - A very interesting scoop – thank you for the details.

We’ve been down this road so many times. As I’ve listened to the songs, it’s given me opportunity to reflect about this market. With respect to this kind of format and as recent as the very short-lived Greatest Hits, what can anyone really say at this point?

In this latest chapter, there are certainly limitations. It’s an AM with an FM translator. Programming and presentation come from Westwood One. I did a little research on their oldies programming and core targets. P1’s are “up there” in age. I question the male targeting but that’s just my opinion. It’s always a question of the bottom line. Can this format be sold?

Honestly, I’m clueless about most anything that happens in Jacksonville radio. It’s probably better this way. It’s a nice to listen to station in the car but beyond that I refuse to get emotional attached. The reasons should be obvious. There’s 10 years of disappointment and frustration and I’m really tired of it all.

If things work out for some of the radio greats mentioned prior, that would be wonderful. My enthusiasm for radio, for whatever is even left of it, is elsewhere. I’m seeing some very interesting things happening to Greatest Hits formats in other markets. Unlike many radio enthusiasts, I never complained about advancing the music chronologically. I always felt the format still offered personality and a rather significant difference in delivery and titles and that it was a good trade off. That’s far more viable than oldies – I’m just saying.

What is significantly different in other markets is the willingness to tweak, evolve and really invest the time and effort into the product to build it into something viable. Some establish the brand very well. Others don't. But, investing proper time is a must. I do see trial and error with respect to the formats in other markets. There's so much we can learn. Jacksonville, however, throws in the towel too quickly. Over the years, there were a number of people to include the three aforementioned who could have made a difference but they and so many others were bypassed. It is what it is.

But really I’m seriously disgusted in the sh**ty way listeners, especially certain ones have been poorly treated – absolutely no regard for them in seeing the format started and stopped so many times. Add The Dove to the mix as well – what did that last, a week? 105.3 The Mix lasted a few months, Screw certain listeners.

So, we should be grateful for a few crumbs. I’m skeptical and cynical. I’m taking the attitude – enjoy it while it lasts. Maybe this time things will be different. One can only hope. Maybe Greatest Hits can still return somewhere. Translators are becoming an integral and important part of radio. It’s becoming strategic especially in the coverage area of the translator offering formats that appeal to that area. A 106.9, as an example, covers southern Duval and northern St. John's County well - that's where the oldies/Greatest Hits audience is. There has to be a willingness to do it though and there is too much bias here. I believe it's lack of skills too but that's a whole other subject.

I dream and I still dream big. Who knows what can and will happen? But really does anyone really care anymore after all that has happened?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom