• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

DXing

MarioMania

Star Participant
Maybe I'm just missing out on stuff

How do you guys know when there's a Skip or Tropo coming?, I'm not really good at reading maps to be honest

I just listen at random times on FM

I keep my old CRT analog TV set turned on and looking at analog channel 2 or 3. If I see faint bits of sync bars or video, I know conditions are "getting there".
Also, I keep a small scanner tuned to the visual frequencies of those lower-VHF channels, listening for the sync buzz or even beats between a couple of stations.
As the propagation gets better, the channels "light up" on higher numbers.....remember, the FM band is just above TV channels 2-6.

Now that the lower end of the TV band has been mostly cleared out, trying the TV routine may not work all that well.

Try tuning your scanner a little lower to 50.11 or 50.125 MHz (just below the old Channel 2). Or scan 50.06 -50.08 MHz (in 5 KHz steps). Shouldn't take long to program. That is the 6m amateur band and 50.06 - 50.08 are Beacon frequencies. 50.11 and 50.125 are DX calling frequencies.

Beacons are exactly what their name implies. Transmitters broadcasting to indicate propagation conditions.

If you scan through the Beacon frequencies, when the squelch trips, you know something is starting to happen. And with a code reader sound card program, you can determine from approximately where.

And if you want to try to look at maps, try dxmaps.com and select 'North America' and 6m. It will show you how propagation is doing on 6m

TVFM Skip Log - dxworld.com/tvfmlog.html works great too. I am the "Yakima CN96" that is on there and whenever Es wants to come in, it is listed in red. If I have listed it, there is Es in the northwest. There are a couple of SF DXers that respond here and there as well...

-crainbebo

I know about the site crain, I just don't wanna keep my radio on all day looking for something

Also I don't feel like turning on my Watchman to see if I get anything, every morning ..I don't have my 13' anymore :(..

Use the 6 meter map on the DXMaps site to check for E skip. Whenever I see a lot of red lines on the 6 meter map, the guys in other areas of the country seem to be logging FM DX on the DXworld FM log in the corresponding areas.

For tropo, I've found the Hepburn maps useful. Usually when the Hepburn map says there is tropo in my area, I can hear the BC Canada stations a bit better. I never hear great DX, but I notice a difference in the stations I'm hearing.

The best way to FM DX is probably find a couple blank FM channels, program them into the radio's memory, and periodically check on them, aiming your antenna away from your local stations' transmitters to reduce QRM.

And if you are programming vacant FM channels, try to pick one at the low end of the dial.

Mario: Good tropo forecast for the entire coast, from WA to CALIF, over the next couple of days.... try for coastal stations with one of your FM DX radios. Don't forget to keep the whip antenna horizontal and move it around to try and get something different from the locals.

Good luck.

Mario: What I mean is that the tropo goes down the Pacific Coast, all the way down past Los Angeles, and just touches as far inland as you are. I'm sure there are FM stations in places like San Luis Obispo, Santa Maria, etc.

If you looked at the Hepburn map, you'd know what I'm talking about. Take a look at it.

Thie thing is ..I only get Station from San Francisco Bay Area

Last night 99.7, 98.1, 97.3, 96.5 and 95.7 came in like a local

It's the same thing... All summer long

aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us uses the 144.39 Mhz amateur radio APRS frequency for live reporting of tropo, etc....it has been one crazy map the last couple of weeks!! Especially over Texas.....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom