• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Had some good tropo here in the U.P. of Michigan

Here in Escanaba Michigan this morning had some good tropo. It was funny though, I could only get it on a couple frequencies but that was it. Most of the dial was local stations. Here is what I got.
KISO 96.1 Omaha NE. I have never gotten Nebraska by tropo.
KQPR 96.1 Albert Lea MN
93.3 WIZM La Crosse WI
97.5 WZOK Rockford IL- This one is a common visitor every year.
96.9 KDLO Watertown SD- This one surprised the heck out of me.
98.1 WMGN Madison WI

Then the tropo moved north and I picked up the Western U.P.
99.7 WIMI Ironwood MI
101.1 WUPY Ontanagon MI

I think this had a lot to due with the 90 degree weather here and the big cold front that was about to move in.

No 106.9 WUPM? They are also from Ironwood with a Hot AC format. WIMI 99.7 is more adult hits and AC combined with a few country hits. I heard Eli Young Band's latest song on the stream this afternoon! (low quality however) Have also heard some Eagles' album cuts on The Storm. Great station.
Congrats on KDLO-SD. A DXer near Duluth (KC0LTV on the TVFM Skip Log) received eastern NE (KKOT, KQKX etc) last night as well.

-crainbebo

Lake Michigan can be a "baby Gulf of Mexico" in the summer, with great tropo over the surface of the lake, often at midday. The UP shoreline is the best for this, as you can work a longer path when you're using the length of the lake, instead of the width.

In better times, I would vacation in Manistique for a week or two in the summer. In 2009 and 2010, the rental was on Lake Michigan itself, and I would prop a 4-bay bowtie on the deck facing the lake, netting just about every DTV in both the Chicago and Milwaukee markets - including the LPTVs. I also experienced watching two of the Willis Tower stations (289 miles) using an unfurled jumbo paper clip (directly inserted into the center contact of the F connector on the TV set) as the only antenna.

Taking the cell phone to the beach (especially at Gulliver), the clock on the phone would switch from Eastern time to Central as cell towers in WI had stronger signals than those on the UP itself. When this happened, the cell phone was useless, as though I ofter had "full bars", the call would be cut off soon after I placed it (I'm guessing the cellular networks were set to compare the handset's GPS data with the tower location and blocked what it suspected was "tampering".

This tropo rarely linked well with tropo over land. Though the Chicago DTVs would have huge signals, I could not DX farther than Champaign, IL from there.

Lake Michigan can be a "baby Gulf of Mexico" in the summer, with great tropo over the surface of the lake, often at midday. The UP shoreline is the best for this, as you can work a longer path when you're using the length of the lake, instead of the width.

In better times, I would vacation in Manistique for a week or two in the summer. In 2009 and 2010, the rental was on Lake Michigan itself, and I would prop a 4-bay bowtie on the deck facing the lake, netting just about every DTV in both the Chicago and Milwaukee markets - including the LPTVs. I also experienced watching two of the Willis Tower stations (289 miles) using an unfurled jumbo paper clip (directly inserted into the center contact of the F connector on the TV set) as the only antenna.

Taking the cell phone to the beach (especially at Gulliver), the clock on the phone would switch from Eastern time to Central as cell towers in WI had stronger signals than those on the UP itself. When this happened, the cell phone was useless, as though I ofter had "full bars", the call would be cut off soon after I placed it (I'm guessing the cellular networks were set to compare the handset's GPS data with the tower location and blocked what it suspected was "tampering".

This tropo rarely linked well with tropo over land. Though the Chicago DTVs would have huge signals, I could not DX farther than Champaign, IL from there.

In Manistee, several UP stations on FM come in well. Most of the time, I can get 92.3 WJPD, 93.1 WIMK, 95.7 WHWL, 97.1 WGLQ, 100.7 WOBE, 101.5 WJNR, 102.5 WCMM, 103.3 WFXD, 104.7 WYKX, 107.3 WUPF, and 107.7 WMQT. At times, I can get 88.9 WCRR, 90.1 WNMU, 90.9 WUPJ, 92.7 WRPP, 93.9 WNBY, 98.3 WRUP, 99.5 WYSS, 101.3 WSUE, 104.3 CJQM, and 105.7 WCUP. I wouldn't be surprised if several northern MI stations are common on FM in the UP

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom