• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes in Woodville/Jasper

I heard that KWUD on 1490 got sold to someone out of Livingston.....however, I think the transmitter site will still need to be changed as the land was not owned by the station...

Also the former translator for it on 102.3 was sold:

Gerald Proctor’s 102.3 K277EB Woodville, TX goes to David Cunningham for $9,000. The translator will rebroadcast 99.1 KFAH Pineland, TX.

However, it wont be rebroadcast KFAH...KFAH cannot make the path to the Woodville tower....since KFAH is simulcasting KJAS, 102.3 will likely retransmit KJAS again......

And speaking of Jasper, I understand the former "Freedom" format that was on 1300 KSET is now on 1350 in Jasper...does not make it to the BPT area (with adjacent 1340 KOLE, in Silsbee its a rough reception) even with its 5KW day...the night power is a whopping 37 watts....so it barely cover Jasper.

What is to become of 1300 still remains to be seen.....and sure enough, 990 still squeals and the 97.1 translator has not been heard..if its on the air, KTHT has nothing to worry about.

Last time I made the drive from Houston to Toledo Bend, I don't believe KFAH was rebroadcasting KJAS. It sounded like satellite Hot AC (maybe Dial Global?).

Except for morning show on KJAS, most of its programming was/is Jones->DG->WW1...Mike Lout owns both station....but again no way they can pick up 99.1 clean at the Woodville tower...in fact there is a translator in Livingston that claims it too will pickup KFAH.....when pigs fly maybe!!!

If it's a weird day like today, broadcast wise, these FM signals don't go far. I was hearing Austin's. KISS and BOB FM this morning like a local station in Beaumont.

I would only consider buying KSET if there was a FM translator sold with it.

Last edited:
A FM translator with decent coverage for 1300 would probably cost as much if not more than 1300 itself (you would have to buy a current translator...I dont see any more coming along any time soon....and the band is SOO crowded already, thats a good thing)
KSBJ has wanted a freq here for sooo long....they did bid on 88.1 from what I was told.. or have offered to buy it and the 88.3 freq as well....KHCB surprised me with their 104.9 AND 106.7 translators...I did not think they were ever gonna try to make them work..I know they decided trying to make a 104.9 signal work from downtown BMT with it trying to receive 105.7 was unworkable...they are using the vertical separation on the Silverdale tower to get the right isolation...I am not sure if the PN 106.7 is hearing 105.7 direct OR retransmitting 104.9.....

There ought to be no FM to FM transmitters allowed. They should be reserved for AM operators or low power FM. The FCC would do well to revoke the current licenses and start over. Too many of these translators carry useless content that no one listens to anyway.

Really, FM translators do NOT service or enhance AM operations...its FM NOT AM.....I disagree with FM translators for AM stations...its a commercial version of LPFM at higher EPR and HAAT......NO, FM xlators for AM should NOT BE allowed.......AM needs to be FIXED ON THE AM band...period.

No FM for AM

Really, FM translators do NOT service or enhance AM operations...its FM NOT AM.....I disagree with FM translators for AM stations...its a commercial version of LPFM at higher EPR and HAAT......NO, FM xlators for AM should NOT BE allowed.......AM needs to be FIXED ON THE AM band...period.

Tell that to the owners of Small AM stations that struggle with coverage and people downright refusing to listen to AM.

I believe what I posted stands on its own...to improve AM, IMPROVE THE AM BAND....dont clutter the FM band with more signals....translators were originally designed to allow FMs (which are LOS or Line Of Sight) to fix issues in coverage areas where terrain caused issues...they were NEVER designed to be used as remote repeaters by non profit/religious groups to get more FM signal fed on the band from a studios/station 500-1000 miles or more away! They were NOT intended to allow a AM station to get a LEGAL Low Power FM commercial signal.....

Again, want to fix the AM band? FIX IT....dont MOVE it......RF spectrum is a finite resource......you cannot cram 10 lbs of manure into a 5 lb bag......

The problems with AM are too numerous to fix.

Too much interference and static from electronic devices.
No stereo and poor audio quality for music.
Demographics are bad - many young people have never listened or will not listen to AM radio due to the reasons listed above.

Perhaps AM stations should move directly to the internet and turn off their transmitters.

Why kill AM Radio, Stan?

Tell that to Emmis Broadcasting. In Austin, I know for a fact that their KLBJ-AM bills several million dollars a year in ads.

Why not tell WOAI or KLVI or KRLD or WBAP to simply go out of business.

Or tell the boys at little 500-watt KULP 1390-AM in El Campo, Texas -- one of the best small town radio stations anywhere and one that makes its owners a nice profit (I also know this for a fact) -- why not tell them to shut down.

Of course AM has its problems. There are many money-losing or poorly-run AM stations out there, just as there are many money-losing or poorly-run FM stations out there. But why kill off the entire band?

In many small communities -- and in major markets -- AM radio plays its role and often makes money.

Sure, it's not the powerhouse it was pre-1977 before the rise of FM. But I would take the current profits from KLBJ, KLVI, WOAI, KRLD and countless other AM stations any day.

I for one am tired of the constant-bashing of the AM band.

I'm not wanting to kill AM radio. My point is that the sound quality and interference limits AM radio primarily to formats such as talk radio. An AM music station cannot compete effectively with a similarly formatted FM station, can it? If you surveyed people under the age of 30 as to how much listening to AM radio they do, it would be zero in most cases. For music, they used to go to FM, now they go online. This could be due to many reasons, but I think is affected by the lack of live personalities on the radio as in the past. For many, there is no compelling reason to listen to radio in its present form - they can dial up Pandora or the tunes on their iPod or smart phone.

For some of the AM stations in our area, it would be helpful to have a FM simulcast, particularly if they are trying to broadcast music.

Since KFAH & KJAS simulcast, what's being aired on the 93-9 translator in Pineland? Does it air the same programming as 99.1? Would seem a bit redundant, if so.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom