• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wouldn't air one KZAR have something to say about this?

jras20

Star Participant
I see K247BZ has a CP to move to 97.5 in Victoria. KZAR has a good signal going through Victoria. Wouldn't they have something to say about this or will the FCC allow that to go through?

Similar issue with 97.1 in Beaumont....as long as the 1mV contours don't overlap, the FCC will allow it...HOWEVER, if there is interference complaints from KZAR's listeners filed through KZAR to the FCC, it can be downgraded or forced off the air...Part 74 does protect full power stations from cochannel xlators even outside their 1mV contour if listeners complain (the 1mV contours are all predicted....and not perfect...with KTHT, the 97.1 xlator in Beaumont wont stand a chance...(of course if it was on right now retransmitting 990, all you would hear is screeching noise!! :)

So in this case someone could probably put a 97.7 in San antonio as a LP or translator station? Since KZAR isn't really in the local area in San antonio. Heck it wouldn't surprise me, they put KBCP in Brookshire and you can still hear KQQK in the background noise. I hate the way the FCC is "filling" in it's over crowding the already crowded FM band. They should of started a whole new bands like HDTV did for digital radio.

Last edited:
Wait a minute, wait a minute. Isn't the bigger issue here that the translator, which is licensed to Port Lavaca, won't even reach to Port Lavaca? I don't see anything showing a change in COL to Victoria. How in the hell did this even get permitted to construct it?

Unless something has lit up recently, jras, Brookshire's allocation is dark. At least the last time I went through there, El Norte was standing all alone on the frequency. I believe it's been so since KQLC dropped down to 90-7.

Last edited:
Unless something has lit up recently, jras, Brookshire's allocation is dark. At least the last time I went through there, El Norte was standing all alone on the frequency. I believe it's been so since KQLC dropped down to 90-7.

KQLC moved onto the Class A signal on 90.7 in 2010. It sold the 107.9 LPFM license to Body of Christ Church of Katy, which changed the call to KBCP and ran a Contemporary Christian music format (which was actually a decent mix of music.) KBCP has been silent since August 2013 and the license has been sold to the Royal Independent School District, which has yet to relaunch the station.

KBCP put in a listenable signal along an almost 20 mile stretch of I-10, from just west of Katy Mills Mall to mile marker 716. Haven't dug into the FCC data to see where the new owner will place the transmitter.

So in this case someone could probably put a 97.7 in San antonio as a LP or translator station? Since KZAR isn't really in the local area in San antonio. Heck it wouldn't surprise me, they put KBCP in Brookshire and you can still hear KQQK in the background noise. I hate the way the FCC is "filling" in it's over crowding the already crowded FM band. They should of started a whole new bands like HDTV did for digital radio.

Theoretically, yes, someone could put a 97.7 translator in San Antonio (at least on the west side of town). However, it would, unquestionably, generate complaints, and EMF would definitely take said complaints to the FCC, which would then shut it down.

Wait a minute, wait a minute. Isn't the bigger issue here that the translator, which is licensed to Port Lavaca, won't even reach to Port Lavaca? I don't see anything showing a change in COL to Victoria. How in the hell did this even get permitted to construct it?

Translators aren't required to serve a city of license with a particular signal strength. Not sure when they're actually required to change COL's, but this kind of situation isn't particular rare.

KHCB has a 106.7 translator on a tower in Port Neches..but licensed to Vidor (because Vidor had no other primary aural service) and its 1mV contour barely reaches the south half of Vidor. On the same tower is a 94.7 translator, licensed to Groves...which already had 92.5 licensed to it..

Cant find anything in the rules (yet) that discusses COLs of translators...

It's been a while since I've been in Houston, I wasn't sure about KBCP still broadcasting. Last time I went they were playing good music, but I still was hearing KQQK in the background.

I know I said this many times but I am tired of translators and low powered stations. Now they just put on K247CB 97.3 up in Lockhart. I use to listen to KJ 97 a lot, no problem. Now I can't get them at all with them broadcasting. For what its worth they are broadcasting air one radio, which is useless because KZAR is more clear than they are anyway.

Translators Are Worthless They Need To Go AWay Now Radio Hasn't Been Fun For 11 Years Now!!

^^
I agree 100%! It's getting to where I can't even listen to San antonio any more. I'm afraid it's going to get worse though. I really wished FM would move to a new frequencies and maybe have more space. Now everything is so cluttered it's worse then AM.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom