• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KJET Flies Again?

... and why not, Bill? We've recently seen how many ways you can find to call a station "KAYO". Maybe they'll be KJTT or KJJT or KXJT, or some such.

Or... here's a good one... 95.7, KJR-FM, The Jet! Makes sense to me. :)

FYI The KJTT calls once resided on 1110 in Oak Harbor....

I'd like to know why they deem it a good idea to make a branding change like this. The old "Jet" was a rock station, am I right? I thought KJR-FM was supposed to be a station programmed to relive what KJR 95 was back in the 70's. KJR-FM used to do a much better job of achieving this 10+ years ago when they branded as "KJR - Seattle, channel 95.... .7!" KMTT and KJR were my favourite stations back then.

Today, its very hard to tell that KJR-FM began with the purpose of reliving the glory days of the AM station.

KJR is only a branding for a piss-poor classic hits station, playlist says 600 songs but they only play the highest-ranking 100 most of the time. This is why I listen to classic hits rarely nowadays, KARY-100.9 sometimes plays some OK stuff. All the other stations have a 400-song playlist and nothing else.
I prefer small town soft rock stations with a lot of variety. Listened to about an hour of KKRB in Klamath Falls today and heard songs I hadn't heard in a long time - even some smooth vocal crossovers. Hall & Oates' "I'll Be Around" cover from 2004 for example. KRWM, KAFE even KXXO wouldn't DARE air that - no one would like to hear an older Daryl Hall crooning a Spinners cover in a smooth vocal style. Average 31-year-old women want to hear "Rolling in the Deep" and "Roar" 20x a day.

-crainbebo

It seems to me that the Seattle area lacks a good soft rock station. I consider CHQM 103.5 in Vancouver to be an example of soft rock done correctly.

I'd like to know why they deem it a good idea to make a branding change like this. The old "Jet" was a rock station, am I right? I thought KJR-FM was supposed to be a station programmed to relive what KJR 95 was back in the 70's. KJR-FM used to do a much better job of achieving this 10+ years ago when they branded as "KJR - Seattle, channel 95.... .7!" KMTT and KJR were my favourite stations back then.

Today, its very hard to tell that KJR-FM began with the purpose of reliving the glory days of the AM station.
The old Jet was one of the forerunners of alternative and modern rock, before the End. Maybe similar to the Wave and KYYX. Hey FR, did you see kink has changed it's logo and moniker. "Discover Music" I'll miss the True to the Music era that was around for years.

Well, Seattle IS the Jet City. On the other hand, when it was the Queen City I don't recall any station calling itself "The Queen".

The old Jet was one of the forerunners of alternative and modern rock, before the End. Maybe similar to the Wave and KYYX. Hey FR, did you see kink has changed it's logo and moniker. "Discover Music" I'll miss the True to the Music era that was around for years.

I did. I hope that doesn't mean there are any adaptions in the format on the horizon. Their mix of classic and new is perfect. KNDD plays SOME of the same music that you hear on KINK, but KNDD's format is not generally something that I have interest in.

If KJR-FM does dramatically flip formats, i'm sure KMCQ Q104.5 gonna appreciate the new listeners flocking to their station.

Well, Seattle IS the Jet City. On the other hand, when it was the Queen City I don't recall any station calling itself "The Queen".

There should be now. We already have a KING and a JACK on the radio.

Announced this morning on the Bob Rivers Show..."tune in Monday morning @ 7:40 for an announcement about KJR-FM's future." I really hope that CC wouldn't want to *&$# around with a Seattle station that has legendary call letters. I don't get the 'branding thing' when you've got history behind them. (My wife even says they shouldn't mess with it and she is not a radio geek like most of us.) So, what will the announcement be? Guess we'll find out. (Bring back Robin and Maynard!...just had to put that in there.) Maybe continuous gansta rap or techno country or endless Barry White. Hmmm...

Last edited:
Announced this morning on the Bob Rivers Show..."tune in Monday morning @ 7:40 for an announcement about KJR-FM's future." I really hope that CC wouldn't want to *&$# around with a Seattle station that has legendary call letters.

Why the big concern about call letters? Listeners couldn't care less, they only care about the programming.

Maybe 101.5 can become "Queen". As they have gotten rid of John Tesh, tightened the playlist to mainly 2000-2014, and became another "Lite KISS/Movin". I miss being in Seattle, listening to the 80s Lunch on KPLZ.

I betcha, 95.7 will become either an even more s****ier classic hits station, or switch to another Adult Top 40 like we need another.

-crainbebo

Announcement today (Fri, 7/25) that maynard leaving Hubbard PD post @ Movin and Klick to join Cheap Channel in a programming role. May all be intertwined....guess we'll learn Monday 7/28.

Announcement today (Fri, 7/25) that maynard leaving Hubbard PD post @ Movin and Klick to join Cheap Channel in a programming role. May all be intertwined....guess we'll learn Monday 7/28.

It is according to ALL ACCESS: http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...rd-exits-hubbard-seattle-joins-ccm-e-as-vp-pr

As you can tell from the abbreviated link, he's been named VP/Programming. So Eric Powers reports to Maynard now? What a slap that would be.

Oh, and for you so-called radio experts on the forum - Mark Kays is hiring 2 PDs to replace Maynard. Here's your chance to put your money where your mouth is.

It is according to ALL ACCESS: http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...rd-exits-hubbard-seattle-joins-ccm-e-as-vp-pr

As you can tell from the abbreviated link, he's been named VP/Programming. So Eric Powers reports to Maynard now? What a slap that would be.

Oh, and for you so-called radio experts on the forum - Mark Kays is hiring 2 PDs to replace Maynard. Here's your chance to put your money where your mouth is.

And you can't even spell Mark's last name correctly! So much for being an "expert"!

OK everyone.....His name is Marc Kaye....With a "C"...Don't wear it out.

If Bob Rivers was being removed he wouldn't have been involved in ths announcement.

I could see a slogan change and a slight playlist ormat change. Spike especially bashes country so it would certainly be ironic it changed to a country station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom