• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Groundhog Day

In the Spring ratings, Solid Gold 1400 AM was ahead of Alt. Buffalo.
One is automated and one is amateur "Live & Local".

Another misfire by Corporate on 107.7.
The Lake looks pretty good in retrospect...

I think the current format is poor quality and ill conceived.
They're trying to reach an audience that doesn't use radio much.
Buffalo also has fewer 21-35 year olds compared to places like
Portland or Austin.

A quality AAA type format could gain an audience of
30-55 year olds.
Yes, a better music product and talent would help the cause.

Quite surprised to see "Live and Local" for 107...as I listen to the programing, it has a VT feel to it. Never once have heard a time check on the station...For all I know, they're sharing Larry Norton's basement studios. I was really pulling for them, but no fun to the format {but I was spoiled by The Spirit of Radio many years ago...now that was fun!!}

WJYE has changed their call letters and become MIX 96.
These corporate folks never run out of innovative ideas.

They might as well fire up the X-mas tunes now.

MIX = Bland. Their audience will never notice the name change.

107.7 and 92.9 are two more wasted signals.
A quality AAA format would be a welcome change.

The companies that own the clusters here don't appear to be at all interested in the AAA format. The people who do listen to radio seem to prefer hearing the hits and personalities on 97 Rock, the Edge, WYRK, Kiss or Star and to a lesser extent Jack, which lately seems to be "the 80s station." Town Square hopes Mix 96 reaches more ears than Joy. Lipstick on a pig? WYRK consistently draws strong ratings and concert goers in the 18-34 demographic, so it could be that country actually is the new AAA. This may sound odd, but check WYRK's ratings and music rotations. Where's most of the marketable new music coming from these days? Country. Sure, a lot of new country is predictable pap, but listeners like it. So give the customers what they want, take their money and move on. Business 101.

Mix faces strong competition from its sister stations urban WBLK and country WYRK which have excellent ratings Women 18-49. It just may be that Mix doesn't need to be #1, as long as it's a strong top 5 in the target demo. If Mix boxes out Entercom's Star and Kiss, TS will consider it a success. Mix PD Dave Universal knows the format. He programmed Kiss to big ratings years ago. Personally, I think the new Mix sounds as lame as the old Joy. Predictable. Uninspired. The morning show is trite. But I'm not in the station's target demo, so my opinion doesn't matter. Plus, I post on a message board.

Another strike.

WYRK consistently draws strong ratings and concert goers in the 18-34 demographic, so it could be that country actually is the new AAA.

Hmmm. Depends on which version of AAA you're talking about. The WXPN version of it attracts an older demo than country. That may be why some commercial stations avoid it. Seems like a retirement home for former rock stars who got tired of the road. The younger approach misses out on the most familiar names. In either case, it becomes a better non-commercial format.

WYRK has inflated ratings because of no competition in that format.

Many people have abandoned Radio because of banal programming.
Some people may come back if it offered them something.
Corporate is risk averse, so they rehash stale ideas.

AAA would serve an audience that is ignored...

Many people have abandoned Radio because of banal programming.

Really? That's not what I see. People like banal programming. That's what feeds reality TV. That's what feeds all the pop acts today.

When Emmis launched WRXP it really hoped that if they built it, people would come. They didn't. Fans of AAA music aren't fans of a genre, but are fans of specific acts. They don't need a radio format to hear those specific acts. Playing AAA on the radio isn't going to change the way people consume music. That's a basic fact. Corporate isn't risk adverse. It's just that every time they take a risk, it bites them in the butt. But that doesn't stop them from trying. I never expected Entercom to try alternative on 107. I never expected them to hire a full local staff. They did, and you see how well it's doing.

Maybe some people like banal radio just like fast food.
Others tune it out.

Alternative Buffalo is probably failing because the product is bad.
Corporate tries to plug in "cookie cutter" formats.
They also misjudged the Buffalo market.

The Lake didn't follow the rigid format rules and had success.
Some listeners are discerning.
AAA isn't typically a mass appeal format, but it can be viable.

The Lake didn't follow the rigid format rules and had success.
Some listeners are discerning.
AAA isn't typically a mass appeal format, but it can be viable.

As I said earlier, the same corporate owners that ran The Lake still own 107. It's the same people. They're not going to sell 107. So if your problem is corporate radio, it's not going to change. No one is going to spend millions of dollars to run a radio station for a discerning audience. Even the colleges are getting out of that business.

What's the point then?
You congratulate them for bad decisions?

If ratings and revenue don't matter, why spend millions launching formats.?
Don't advertisers get results if the listeners are passionate about a station.?

Entercom got swept up in the News on FM craze when they dropped The Lake.
We know the simulcast was an epic fail...

I advocated for AAA years ago, then read two very good studies about the format and saw the light. Y'know where AAA listeners get their format? Streaming. Those same people haven't flocked to an FM station just because it's playing "their music." That's just the way it is. Some things will never change. Remember when that was a nig AOR and new format AAA favorite?

Maybe many people stream music BECAUSE Radio is a wasteland.
Maybe those people didn't read your study.

Mainstream formats will always exist and serve certain people.
That's fine.

The 107.7 signal is not great. Go back and look at The Lake ratings compared to
WBEN Simulcast and it's current condition.
A niche format did pretty well on a challenged signal...

Maybe many people stream music BECAUSE Radio is a wasteland.

Or maybe they stream music because it's convenient. And they stream OTA radio stations, because they play the songs they like.

Look at WBEN's ratings when The Lake was on 107, and look at them now. Things change.

This is not to say that what's on 107 will stay forever. But I doubt they'll revive a former format.

Things do change or spiral down.
WBEN actually declined in the ratings when it had TWO signals.
Entercom tried to stop the bleeding and made it worse with the simulcast.
The Lake audience went away and WBEN didn't prosper.

They may not revive an old format, but it's hard to defend their strategy...

The simple reality is that the best use of 107.7 would be to simulcast WGR and fill in their nighttime nulls for Sabres and Bills broadcasts. One problem is that WGR might begin to approach the fading WBEN ratings, which might bruise some egos at Corporate Parkway. But, hey, why do the obvious thing? And, from a sales standpoint, they're still selling Sabres and Bills network commercials that are picked up by little AMs in CNY, so the overall gain might be negligible. 107.7's signal in the finger lakes is better than most local AMs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom