• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Issues with custom streams on the TuneIn Radio app on my iPod Touch

andrewduong77

Frequent Participant
I'm having issues with the custom streams on the TuneIn Radio app on my iPod Touch (4th generation). For some reason just a couple of hours ago, my TuneIn Radio app decides stop responding (freezes/crashes) then it crashed shooting me back to the home screen. It does that sometimes, but this time when I reopened the app, the custom streams turns into a button with the arrow on the right side. What is going on? I tap on it and it won't open the stream but it just takes to me to a screen where it keeps loading something... I deleted the custom stream and recreated it and the same issue persist. Later I found out the rest of my custom streams have the same issue and doesn't work either. All the TuneIn built-in streams worked, but the custom streams I added fails??? I also tried to restart my iPod Touch. Same issue persist. Then I deleted and redownloaded the app. Same issue persist.

Is there any other apps that I can do custom streams? (I'm going to research about this soon.)
Is anybody else having this issue now or if anybody else had this issue before?
Does deleting and reinstalling the app clear all the registry within the app on an iOS device?

Specs:
iPod Touch (4th generation) 64GB
iOS 6.1 (iOS 6.1.6 is the last compatible version iOS for the 4th generation iPod Touch)(Current version of iOS is 7.1.2)
TuneIn Radio 5.1 (which is the last compatible version of the app for iOS 6.0)(Current version off the app is 6.2)

I'm thinking about upgrading to the 6th generation iPod Touch that is coming out this year with the iPhone 6. Maybe a used one a couple of months after it comes out.

Same issue here.

I'm assuming you're a P1?

I'm having the same problem...Started last night. When I click on the custom url it goes to a blank page, and just sits there.
It also seems that I cannot save the custom url once I type it in, I try to click the plus button but it never lets me save it. I'm about ready to give up on tunein radio.

If it ain't one thing it's another.
Wish I could help you with your problem.....but I can't so here's mine.

Google Chrome suddenly stopped opening and working.....something about my profile blah blah blah (which I did nothing to). Online research says go into the program itself and change this line and change that line to get Chrome working again. Chrome won't let you uninstall.

Anyway, I figure it's Chrome's problem not mine. If they can't keep their product from not working, then so be it. I deleted Chrome (at least the icon) and now life goes on.

I uninstalled the app, reset my iPod Touch, and reinstalled the app. I am still experiencing the same problem. Probably means its time for me to upgrade to a more recent iOS device, so I can run the latest version of iOS, therefore I can run the latest version of the app since the app developer made a lot of changes in the app to where there old version of the app doesn't work well with their current service and their newer version of the app isn't compatible with older versions of iOS as well as the current version of iOS (iOS 7) isn't compatible with older devices (iPod Touch (4th gen) and below, iPhone 3GS and below, and iPad (original) and below).

What do I mean by "Custom Streams"? Its just a feature in TuneIn if you come to a situation where you can't find the station you wanted to listen to in TuneIn like Galaxy 92 which is a very neat adult contemporary/easy listening station from Athens, Greece, you can stream it on TuneIn by inputting the streaming URL into the TuneIn app if you know or be able to pull out the streaming URL.

If it ain't one thing it's another.
Wish I could help you with your problem.....but I can't so here's mine.

Google Chrome suddenly stopped opening and working.....something about my profile blah blah blah (which I did nothing to). Online research says go into the program itself and change this line and change that line to get Chrome working again. Chrome won't let you uninstall.

Anyway, I figure it's Chrome's problem not mine. If they can't keep their product from not working, then so be it. I deleted Chrome (at least the icon) and now life goes on.
I actually have problems Google Chrome as well and it took a long time for Google to fix it and it wasn't my problem either. It wasn't that it suddenly stopped opening and working, but other issues though. For the TuneIn app on my device, I'm actually trying to figure if it's a problem from my iPod Touch or from the TuneIn service itself. To find the truth, I have to find someone with the same device, same version of iOS, and the same version of the app to see if that person have the same problem. My hypothesis is that the latest version of iOS isn't compatible with my device, the latest version of the app isn't compatible with the version of the iOS I have, and the app developer may changed the service a lot to where it won't work with their older versions of the app correctly. In other words, its time for me to upgrade my iPod Touch to the latest generation. For time being, the "custom streams" still work for me, except I couldn't save them and access them easily. I figured out I could save the streaming URLs into my notes and copy and paste them each time I open the app to stream that particular station. Not as convenient, but at least I don't have to memorize the streaming URLs of the top of my head, nor I have to type it in each time I open the app.

It's not just you, Andrew. I've reported the problem with TuneIn for iOS, which doesn't stream custom streams anymore on my iPhone or iPad, and they told me they are aware of the problem and working on a fix.

If you're interested in custom streaming apps, see if fStream is still around. I used it when Wunder was too expensive and TuneIn had yet to arrive.

Forget iPOS. Get an Android device. TuneIn works fine.

Apple has been known to sabotage other people's software, or unapproved streams.

While Android has made strides over the couple of years, I can't stand the inconsistency of experience between devices and lack of support from some manufacturers. Plus, as someone who has developed mobile apps, Android, while free, is an absolute nightmare. When developing iPhone apps, if you're backward compatible to one generation, you get 95% of users. With Android, that doesn't even get you half. Yeah, Apple can be a pain to deal with. I don't like how you have to buy a Mac, pay an annual fee, use a proprietary language and deal with the approval process, but only having to go back to one generation instead of six to get the same result makes those irritations feel minor!

BTW - Apple is not blocking my custom streams. I can access them just fine from other apps. It looks like a redirecting issue with TuneIn.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'm glad to hear about this from both of you all. I thought I was the only one experiencing this problem due to either it's my device itself or it's because everybody with an outdated iOS device, an outdated version of iOS, and/or an outdated version of the TuneIn app will run into this issue, but it turned out that all of you have the same issue, even with the latest iOS and the latest version of the TuneIn app. I also reported the issue to TuneIn as well on the day I begin to experience this issue.

Yesterday, TuneIn finally fixed the issue with custom streams on TuneIn on iOS. The same time TuneIn fixed streaming issues with KMGL and other Tyler Media stations in Oklahoma City since Tyler Media switched streaming services from Crystal Media Networks to Triton Digital.

For a couple of weeks before the issue with custom streams on the TuneIn app on iOS devices took place, Crystal Media Networks upgraded their streaming services causing 64 kbps AAC streams to fail on TuneIn for all the radio stations that uses CMN as their streaming service including KMGL and other Tyler Media stations in OKC. Their 64 kbps MP3 streams still work fine on TuneIn. Then from there I found KMGL's 64 kbps AAC URL stream and put it into my TuneIn app as a custom stream. Then a couple of weeks later, the issue with custom streams on TuneIn on iOS arises, which is when I created this thread. I'm very glad that TuneIn were able to fix both issues at the same time yesterday.

I noticed the custom streams were working again on my way to lunch today. Since switching to the social platform, support has really gone downhill, but it looks like that may be improving again, too. I sent them a stream update, and they got back to me in 2 business days while they hadn't been updating stations at all for the past couple of months. I finally got ahold of someone there, and she told me the submission form wasn't working for everyone.

I listened to KRXO HD2 at work a few times this past week, and it worked fine despite being on CMN, but I'm pretty sure I just streamed it on my desktop machine. So, it just popped up a player, and I never saw it from the app itself.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom