• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

103.7 louie vs k-she

U

Unregistered

I'm encouraging everyone to dump K-SHE 94.7 and switch to the new rocker, 103.7 Louie. I've been listening to K-SHE since 1975. Every since EMMIS bought K-SHE and moved into our market, the Station has been going down hill fast! To much talk from DJ's and the same songs from the same groups over and over. You may not hear the same song twice in the same day but you'll the same groups more than once a day. The other thing is take Kansas for instance, the only song you ever hear is Cary On Wayward Son. We've heard that song so much it SUCKS and needs to be removed from their playlist and Dust In The Wind is to mellow for a Rock Station.
Listening to K-SHE on Sunday morning Classic Show is ok. The last time we had a new Rock Station was 97.1 the Rock, They were kicking K-SHE's ASS. EMMIS being sore loser's, bought the Station and turned into a talk station. LAME!!!!!!!!!!
Lets all Man Up and send EMMIS a message!

tks

STL ROCKER

Its a 100% automated 250 watt translator with no jocks, but the music mix is decent. Wish Clear Channel would blow up that turkey on 104.9 and give Louie a half decent signal, and hire a couple jocks.

See - I'm not a fan of Louie at all. Perhaps it's because I just despise Clear Channel. From a radio perspective, K-SHE is one of the last remaining 100% live and local radio stations in the country. Clear Channel and Cumulus has killed live and local radio.

I realize if you listen to K-SHE and have been since the late 60's, the station sound repetitive. Take my word for it though - The dig a lot deeper than most classic rock stations. Cumulus and Clear Channel classic rock stations are very mainstream. Not suggesting that K-SHE doesn't play some of the same old crap over and over but I promise you, Clear Channel and Cumulus Classic Rock stations are worse.

I also notice Cumulus is going more in the so called "Heritage Rock" format which is basically Blue Collar mainstream rock. Your typical classic rock songs form typical classic rock bands (that means no Jethro Tull or prog rock bands) and modern bands like RHCP, Shinedown, etc.

BTW - I know Louie has played the same AC/DC twice in one day just recently. Their crap will get old FAST. Their imaging sucks as well.

I agree though - 104.9 could go in a more rock direction (like The Viper) and even though active rock isn't doing well across the country, I think it would do well in St. Louis based on the angry facebook posts I see on The Point's website since they have leaned pretty much all Alternative.

P.S. I've noticed The Point is playing new Alt Rock songs that even Clear Channel alt stations haven't started playing. It's obvious that The Points leans very new at night as well. I just don't see this lasting though because concerts they are promoting that are Alternative and not Hard Rock are not selling worth a damn.

One more thing; Is it just me or has Wild 104.9 went from Rhythmic CHR to straight hip hop? Most "WILD" clear channel Rhythmic CHR stations play slightly more dance music than WILD STL does.

I know Z107 is doing great in St. Louis and shouldn't change but for CHR, I think it actually sounds more Hot AC/CHR Hybrid'ish'.

I just started listening to KSHE this week for fun, and I LOVE it. If you want to see an example of bad, repetitive radio, check out what we have in my location (Seattle). We have KJR "The Jet" 95.7 which has a very tight playlist of popular songs from the 70's and 80's (KLOU 103.3 is MUCH better, trust me), and KZOK 102.5 which is a good classic rock radio station (but does not have the library that KSHE appears to have).

In short, i'm very impressed. Maybe I will feel differently if I listen for a while, but its mind numbing to hear the same Fleetwood Mac song followed by the same Elton John song day in and day out on the Seattle dial.

I'm curious to see what some of the listeners of KSHE or KLOU would think of stations in other markets (such as mine) compared to St. Louis.

Last edited:
I actually have lived outside of Savannah Ga for 23 years, Atlanta for 9 years and St. Louis for 2 years. KSHE is by far the best classic rock station I have heard. They are trending more 80s at night but then Sunday Mornings are nothing but deep cuts. While I believe KSHE is an amazing classic rock station, I wonder if Emmis would be better off making K-Hits (which is basically the cream of the crop classic hits station) pure classic rock and taking K-SHE in a more modern active rock direction. KSHE has always been rock. Not necessarly classic rock though. In the 70s and 80s, it was still playing new rock of that time. With The Point leaning nearly all alternative, KSHE should add more Seether, Chevelle, Pop Evil and other active rock artists to get the harder rock folks tuned in. I wouldn't abandoned the classic rock though. Just lean it more modern.

I just started listening to KSHE this week for fun, and I LOVE it. If you want to see an example of bad, repetitive radio, check out what we have in my location (Seattle). We have KJR "The Jet" 95.7 which has a very tight playlist of popular songs from the 70's and 80's (KLOU 103.3 is MUCH better, trust me), and KZOK 102.5 which is a good classic rock radio station (but does not have the library that KSHE appears to have).

In short, i'm very impressed. Maybe I will feel differently if I listen for a while, but its mind numbing to hear the same Fleetwood Mac song followed by the same Elton John song day in and day out on the Seattle dial.

I'm curious to see what some of the listeners of KSHE or KLOU would think of stations in other markets (such as mine) compared to St. Louis.

I actually have lived outside of Savannah Ga for 23 years, Atlanta for 9 years and St. Louis for 2 years. KSHE is by far the best classic rock station I have heard. They are trending more 80s at night but then Sunday Mornings are nothing but deep cuts. While I believe KSHE is an amazing classic rock station, I wonder if Emmis would be better off making K-Hits (which is basically the cream of the crop classic hits station) pure classic rock and taking K-SHE in a more modern active rock direction. KSHE has always been rock. Not necessarly classic rock though. In the 70s and 80s, it was still playing new rock of that time. With The Point leaning nearly all alternative, KSHE should add more Seether, Chevelle, Pop Evil and other active rock artists to get the harder rock folks tuned in. I wouldn't abandoned the classic rock though. Just lean it more modern.
Probably a good idea. I wouldn't listen to KSHE anymore though. Active rock is not something I care to listen to.

Go to KSHE's website and examine their Klassics A-Z list. Impressive. I could hear that list all day every day. Examine their Top 95 Klassics list and see Mama's Pride at the top.

Local favoritism shown there. For that alone that particular list is somewhat flawed, or perhaps skewed by its creator, John Ulett (long-time host of Sunday Klassics Show). He supposedly solicited votes from the community, but I doubt that even as much as some in STL regarded Mama's Pride highly, Blue Mist is not worthy of a #1 rating on that list, in reality. To me the fix was in.

Not too objective, John. I feel that the Klassics truly date back to the inception of the station in its rock format in 1967, and John majors in the era beginning in the mid 70's when he was hired on (period-correct pics show him in a satin jacket, not suede and fringe). That leaves a huge chasm of music once deemed classic, and is somewhat but not completely emblematic of the programming as it was in the earliest days of the station as a rock voice, as it should be.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I do know of what I hear/have heard/should hear!

Oh yeah, the iconic station logo for years and years, up till the 80's, was from the cover of Blodwyn Pig's weak blues rock LP "Ahead Rings Out" from which their mascot SweetMeat originated.

He's a fricking pig with headphones toking on a joint. These stickers proliferated around the world.

PC removed the joint and the Blodwyn pig, opting for a more contemporary pig playing a pointy 80's guitar.

Yuck.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom