• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

95.3 The Buzz

Here in the south half of West Seattle it comes in pretty well, showing a signal strong enough to go into stereo at some points. At the top of the hour I heard it ID as "88.1 KAWO, Ocean Park/Tacoma"; no mention of a 95.3 frequency. There is no RDS on the 95.3 frequency as there is on the 88.1 frequency. There is no licensed station in Washington State on 95.3 according to the FCC database.

While I commend you, unlicensed microbroadcaster on 95.3, why would you go to all that trouble and then just act as a translator for KAWO? It doesn't seem as if you are covering any place that 88.1 isn't. Maybe the Air1 relay is just stunting...

And I've heard the two people I know who actually listen to these Jesuscasters whine to me "Well I don't like to hear Christian pop, I like Christian rock" Well guess what? I like to hear Laotian Death Polka, but I don't get to get a local radio channel exclusively for that. There's a bunch of genres that can't be found 24/7 - if at all on local radio. So if you want 24/7 Christian rock, that's what streaming radio is for. But a local LPFM serving a variety of different programs for a variety of different people is a far better use of the airwaves than a national religious network in areas already overserved by religious radio (like EVERYWHERE.)

My genres of choice are AAA, french radio, or true oldies, and I sure don't see any outlets for any of those in Seattle. But hey, that doesn't matter because we've got country and this awful christian "rock".

"Cant you see you're not making christianity better, but only making rock and roll worse?" ~ Hank Hill

Last edited:
All the while to kill CKZZ (and the few areas where KXLE comes in) around Seattle. Nice job KWAO. Don't miss Seattle because of this. Ah, the sounds of 220-mile away tropo scatter from Vancouver over here...

-crainbebo

All the while to kill CKZZ (and the few areas where KXLE comes in) around Seattle. Nice job KWAO. Don't miss Seattle because of this. Ah, the sounds of 220-mile away tropo scatter from Vancouver over here...

-crainbebo

I think I would prefer a radio station that plays animae music over this crap.

Yes, I love that idea. How about upgrading the signal to 1.21 gw from the KPQ-FM tower? Ok there's my outlandish post of the day.

KSWW and KAPS' xlator people would NOT be amused from KPQ upgrading to 1.21 jigawatts... I'd probably hear it on my toaster oven even 50 miles away! Wonder if that effect happens with WBCT 93.7 in Grand Rapids having 320,000 watts?

-crainbebo

KSWW and KAPS' xlator people would NOT be amused from KPQ upgrading to 1.21 jigawatts... I'd probably hear it on my toaster oven even 50 miles away! Wonder if that effect happens with WBCT 93.7 in Grand Rapids having 320,000 watts?

-crainbebo

It might cook you alive living under that tower.

I haven't followed the link from the 91.9 translator, but 91.9 was CSN, not EMF, rebroadcasting KAWZ. 95.3 rebroadcasts KWAO, (usually poorly apparently.)
Of course we live in an era where translator owners feel entitled to any frequency when they're replaced by a full-power signal. What a joke the FCC is! And a sick joke at that.

Translators = No jobs for local radio employees, and no service of the community. I thought there was a FCC rule that claimed that each and every radio station had to provide some benefit to the community through the likes of public service announcements, informational programming etc. What loophole did the guy in charge of inducting the LP airwaves with christian rock/rap find??

I question how these organizations get by with studio waivers due to financial hardship when their public NPO records show them having large amounts of funding. I recall EMF filing against the initial creation of LPFM service - making the argument that these additional signals would threaten their funding model and contributions. I wasn't aware it was the job of the FCC to ensure they could remain a well funded tax exempt organization with no local obligations.

Last edited:
I tuned in to 95.3 the other afternoon while searching the FM for "DX" (got the CBC outlet from Victoria -- not exactly DX but good enough for me), and 95.3 had an interesting program ("Closer Look") on the recycling of electronic stuff -- had nothing to do with religion. Was quite surprised.

So to say they have no public service programming isn't a fair assessment, no matter what you think of their format or the fact they're a translator.

And I'm not sure stations are required to have public service any more. You sure don't hear any of it on the major music formats.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom