• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Providing network/internet capability 400 ft. away

Looking for advice on providing network/internet capability to our transmitter building 400 feet away from the studio building. Too expensive to get a dedicated broadband cable drop out there. Here is what I do have to work with - a 12 pair twisted/shielded multi-cable running underground (with pairs available). The tower gets hit by lightning about 12 times a year. The studio consoles used to get blown up from lightning (probably from induced underground lightning strike currents), until we installed some very expensive Jensen isolation transformers on the audio feeds out to the transmitter building. Knock on wood, since we've installed the audio transformers, and tied all grounds together from both the transmitter building, and the studio/office building, it's been pretty quiet on the damage front (for years now). Would you do a wireless link from the studio building to the transmitter building, utilize the multi-cable to get something out there (lightning protected somehow I hope), or get a Verizon or AT&T wireless base? BTW, I'm not a network guy.

400' is too great a distance for Cat5-type connections. The limit is about 300'. Fiber is an option. Wireless may work at that distance, too.
If lightning has been a problem with other equipment, I would not use a wired connection.

>>>If lightning has been a problem with other equipment, I would not use a wired connection.<<<

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

>>>Fiber is an option.<<<

Unfortunately, whoever ran the underground PVC tubes, to route the multi-cable, did a horrible job. It will be a pain, but fiber *might* be an option. I wonder how long is the longest fish tape. There is one ground access box for this run, between both buildings.

I know of several stations that have done wireless with good results. Ubiquiti has good options, several of which I have in service now. You can put a Barix or Bric-Link at each end and have plenty of bandwidth for PCM. If you like, you can run internet to the transmitter site, too.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned unlicensed microwave links. Ubiquity and a host of others offer high bandwidth at very low cost. We've used them for everything from a few dozen feet to several miles. As long as there's a clear line of site, they'll work reliably. The 5.8gHz links run less than $300 for a pair of basic units.

An unlicensed microwave link sounds more cost effective, especially compared to running fiber, and that's what I've been leaning towards (microwave), especially in my situation. I like the $300 cost too, and I do have a clean line of sight. It looks like there are a lot of models out there. Would you be able to recommend a specific make and model number for my application? Thanks.

If for some silly reason the radios don't work out, several companies make short-haul ethernet extenders that are basically point-to-point DSL. I am using a set from Star Tech ($300-400) inside an old bank building where I'm not allowed to pull CAT5/6 cables from the studio to the office area on another floor, but there are tons of 25-pair telco cables that I'm allowed to steal pairs from. Of course, the Ubiquiti should have better lightning tolerance.

Edit - Ooops...looks like someone else already suggested the extender option...perhaps I should read the thread before opening my pie-hole. :)

Rich, Your post from a few months back about the asbestos and the existing phone wires is what made me think of those in this case.

An unlicensed microwave link sounds more cost effective, especially compared to running fiber, and that's what I've been leaning towards (microwave), especially in my situation. I like the $300 cost too, and I do have a clean line of sight. It looks like there are a lot of models out there. Would you be able to recommend a specific make and model number for my application? Thanks.

At that distance, everything should work. We've used the M5 units, but I see no need for dishes/reflectors and you really should be able to use the cheapest of models. Just point a couple of the units at each other and it should work. If putting them outside, be sure to get outdoor rated cables.

Rich, Your post from a few months back about the asbestos and the existing phone wires is what made me think of those in this case.

I forgot I had already discussed it here before...one of the benefits of getting old and forgetful - you forget everything you've seen and done so it's all new again. :)

+1 for those VDSL interfaces. I was involved with installing a pair on a small office building. The main office was downstairs and the secondary office was upstairs on the opposite side of the building. The distance between the two and the layout prevented us from running Cat5e, so we used these interfaces.

We installed the CO side in the main office and the CPE side upstairs. We too had 25 pair cables available, which were used long ago for the old 1A2 key telephone system. In the phone room, all 25 pair cables terminated on telco blocks. I simply cross-connected 1 pair of the 25 pair, bridging main office to the secondary office. Worked perfectly. It was mostly plug and play.

For your distance of 400', the performance should be good as long as the pairs are in good shape. If you're concerned about lightning, you could install protectors/arrestors. Here is a page of products from Sandman. I've always been satisfied with his products.

http://www.sandman.com/Surge.html

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom