• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Who aired what where: Lesser-known syndicated shows

Of course, there are similar threads on this forum dealing with lesser-known talk shows and game shows, but that’s only for Atlanta. I decided to go beyond. Which stations carry or carried these lesser-known shows where you live?

Tama and Friends (Fox 11, Saturdays at 7)
Home Delivery (WB 5, weekdays at 2:30)
Eye for an Eye (WB 5, weekdays at 2)

Here are a few from the first year of the access rule. Source: TV Guide, New York Metropolitan Edition, October 23, 1971:

WCBS Ch. 2 Jerry Visits (KABC's Jerry Dunphy visits the homes of stars, Sat 7:30 PM)
The David Frost Revue (Sun 10:30 PM)
Johnny Mann's Stand Up And Cheer (Mon 7:30 PM)
Rolllin' On The River (Kenny Rogers and the First Edition, Thu 7:30 PM)
Circus! (revival of "International Showtime" with host Bert Parks, Fri 7:30 PM)

WTIC (WFSB) Ch. 3 Primus (a poor man's "Sea Hunt," Wed 7:30 PM)
Rollin' On The River (Fri 7 PM)

WNBC Ch. 4 Dr. Simon Locke (a program that deserves to be forgotten, Mon 7:30 PM)
Primus (Wed 7:30 PM)
Monty Nash (cop show with Harry Guardino, Fri 10:30 PM)

WABC Ch. 7 Anything You Can Do (Canadian game show similar to "Beat The Clock," hosted first by Gene Wood, then by "Hee Haw"'s Don Harron, Sat 7:30 PM)
Story Theater (Paul Sand, of "Friends and Lovers" infamy in 1974, and his troupe perform cut-downs of plays, Mon 7:30 PM)

WTNH Ch. 8 All About Faces (game show with host Richard Hayes, in which contestants tried to predict the outcome of "Candid Camera"-type situations, Thu 7:30
PM)
Juvenile Jury (remake of the show that launched Jack Barry's career in the 1940s, Fri 7:30 PM)

And some more from the week of March 3, 1973

WCBS Ch. 2 UFO (produced-in-England sci-fi show, Sat 7 PM)
The Protectors (detective show from England, with Robert Vaughn, Sun 10:30 PM)
I've Got A Secret (short-lived revival with host Steve Allen, Tue 7:30 PM)
Young Dr. Kildare (somebody named Mark Jenkins tries unsuccessfully to wear the hospital gown and shoes of Lew Ayers and Richard Chamberlain, Fri
7:30 PM)

WTIC (WFSB) Ch. 3 Audubon Wildlife Theatre (yet another of the many nature shows in syndication in the '70s, Sat 7 PM)
Half The George Kirby Comedy Hour (Sat 7:30 PM)
I've Got A Secret (Tue 7:30 PM)
Young Dr. Kildare (Fri 7 PM)

WNBC Ch. 4 The Mouse Factory (Disney-produced variety show, Mon 7:30)
Police Surgeon (the revised "Dr. Simon Locke," Tue 7:30)
Wait Till Your Father Gets Home (Hanna-Barbera attempt to make an animated "All In The Family," Wed 7:30)
Thrillseekers (Chuck Connors hosts this reality show, Fri 7:30)

WABC Ch. 7 Adventures Of Black Beauty (Sat 7:30)
Festival Of Family Classics (Rankin-Bass animated versions of famous tales such as "Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs," Sun 7 PM)
Half The George Kirby Comedy Hour (Sun 7:30)
Parent Game (Chuck Barris plays it fairly straight here as parents try to match answers about child rearing with a child psychologist; Clark Race hosts,
Wed 7:30)

WTNH Ch. 8 Police Surgeon (Sun 7 PM)
Parent Game (Wed 7:30)
You Asked For It (yet another attempt to revive the old '50s favorite with Smilin' Jack Smith, Thu 7:30)

WOR (WWOR) Ch. 9 The Wacky World Of Jonathan Winters (Sun 8 PM)

"Life Moments" - a show celebrating women as they go through incredible moments in their lives (2002-2003) was on KIRO 7 in Seattle at 9am weekdays, it also aired on KNDO-23/KNDU-25 in Yakima/Tri-Cities at 10AM weekdays.
Home Delivery was on KCPQ in the '04-'05 season. 11AM or noon, something like that. I have a TVG somewhere with that listing.
Eye for an Eye *was* aired on KONG-16 in Seattle for a short time at the start of its run, and I think it was buried overnights. Then disappeared. Stopped airing in syndication in mid-2013, not listed on PMI's site anymore.
How about the weekend show "Livin' Large" circa 2002-03? That was a show that was like "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" but with a low budget. No wonder it only lasted one year. In Seattle, KIRO-7 aired it late Saturdays/early Sundays at 12:05AM. Also aired at 4PM Sat. on KCYU-LP 41 in Yakima (Fox).
In the old "Forgotten Syndicated Shows" thread was a show called "We, the Jury", a court show focusing on the jury - taped in Eugene, OR! KEZI was the flagship station, duh, it's in Eugene. (ABC station)
For talk shows, there's quite a few "lesser known" ones. Terry Bradshaw's "Home Team" 1997-1998, which aired on newborn KONG 16 at 11AM in Seattle, and Pat Bullard's short lived show from 1996-97 (you might know him more as the host of the trainwreck revival of Card Sharks in 2001). That show aired in Seattle on KIRO-7 which at the time was UPN, at 2PM weekdays. The trainwreck Card Sharks, by the way, aired on KONG-16, I forget if it followed or preceded the Louie Anderson Family Feud, but it was on there as well. There was also "Arthel & Fred" - VERY short lived 1997-98 talk show with Arthel Neville (was one of the first hosts of "Extra!") and Fred Roggin, sportscaster at KNBC. Aired at a horrible time in Seattle - 5:30AM on KTZZ!
We talked about "Click" with a young Ryan Seacrest, the E/I game show aired around 1997-99, in the Atlanta game show thread, but it aired on KCPQ during the E/I requirement run. KVOS 12 in Bellingham I believe picked it up as well. "Peer Pressure" also ended up on KCPQ in Seattle, and WWOR-9 in Secaucus NJ/New York as a UPN station. Teens competed in this show about moral dilemmas and did stunts on a life-sized board game. What's interesting about that show is in 1999, when Click was cancelled, the producers decided to make a new "Peer Pressure" - making that said show "Pressure 1", all a general trivia show. The old episodes from 1997-98ish were reedited and then called "Pressure-2".
I've mentioned Go For It TV as well...originally aired 8:30am E/P Saturdays, late 2001 on USA Network, in between infomercials! Then moved to ABC Family Sat 12n in late 02 before being cancelled. Syndicated reruns ended up on stations in 2003. In Seattle, it was KIRO 7 (CBS) airing those, at 4PM Saturday afternoons (sports permitting), WSVN Miami, KTVK Phoenix and WJXT Jacksonville also aired it as well. That was what I would call a game show mixed with musical performances. Two teams of 4 kids each would compete in physical and trivia challenges w/ two musical performances in the show.
The oddest title for a game show would have to be "The Game Game" - that aired in 1969-70, and KTNT-11 in Tacoma picked it up (it was an indie by then). It was mainly a personality test. Jim McKrell hosted the show.
I could go on and on all night, but gotta wrap it up for now.

-crainbebo

"The Game Game," I remember, aired on WATL in Atlanta and WSPA in Spartanburg, SC. Three celebrities and a contestant answered questions built around a particular topic, such as "How Romantic Are You?" or "How Absent-Minded Are You?". They compared answers with a University of Southern California psychologist and scored points based on the USC professor's responses (similar to "The Parent Game"). This was one of Chuck Barris' efforts to do a game show completely straight, and, as usual when he did that, it bombed.

During most of my life in Fairbanks, I remember these forgettables being aired:

The aforementioned Livin' Large (KATN)
Countdown at the Neon Armadillo (KTVF)
Robocop: The Series (KTVF)
Starting Over (KFXF)
Scratch (KTVF)
Small Wonder (KTVF)
Charles Perez (KTVF)
Pat Bullard (KATN)
Knights And Warriors (KFXF)
Moral Court (KTVF)
Excused (KFXF)
Out Of The Blue (KFXF)
Roseanne (the talk show) (KATN)
The Other Half (KFXF)
She Spies (either KFXF or K13XD)
Click/Peer Pressure (KFXF)
Cleopatra 2525/Jack Of All a Trades (KFXF)
Home Delivery (I think KFXF, but I'm not sure)
and so on...

By the way...I said that WSB has had a history of clearing some lesser-known shows themselves; among them are the aforementioned Neon Armadillo, Robocop, and She Spies, as well as "The Lorenzo and Henrietta Music Show" (which lasted all of one month).

As for movies? On occasion, they show something from Popcornflix.com, since all of the good packages have already been taken by WATL, WPCH, and WUPA. Case in point: One time earlier this year, WSB preempted the latter two hours of ABC primetime on a Saturday night to show an awful Kevin Costner movie, "Revenge"; a few weeks later, WGCL would one-up them with the even better "Gran Torino" starring Clint Eastwood, bumping the rest of CBS primetime including an all-new "48 Hours."

When I get the chance, I'll dig deeper into the other stations (WAGA, WXIA, etc.).

I remember The Other Half. It was NBC-fed, but aired on our Fox station in Seattle, KCPQ. Odd. Mario Lopez, Dick Clark, Danny Bonnaduce and someone else (I forget who) hosted this talk show that pretty much was "The View" with a male cast.
Speaking of Mr. Bonnaduce, remember his 1995 talk show "Danny!"? VERY short lived. Aired on KIRO-7 in Seattle (UPN at the time) at 10am weekdays.
She Spies was similar to Charlie's Angels but low budget, and modernized. Aired on KOMO-4 after the 11PM news on Saturday nights around 2002-03.
Another weekend show that was buried in overnights in my old market of Seattle was "The Source: All Access." This around from 2000-02 and was a hip-hop newsmagazine. KIRO 7 aired it at 2:35AM Sunday mornings, after showing "Tracker", a Canadian sci-fi show at 1:35. I remember their Saturday night lineup pretty well after the news around early 2002: Sheena at 11:35, Relic Hunter at 12:35, Tracker at 1:35 and The Source All Access at 2:35.
I also remember "Starting Over." That aired on KCPQ, around noontime weekdays.
Excused aired on KSTW, buried overnights I think, when it aired in 2012-13.
How about that "Crash! Bang! Splat!" E/I show? It was called "Backyard Science" when it originally aired in Australia, kids would do science experiments. Sold to syndicated reruns for one year in 2005-06. KSTW 11 aired it at 11AM Saturday mornings in the Seattle-Tacoma market.
Charles Perez was a talk show that suffered from the 26 others above it. Aired in Seattle on KTZZ 22 (WB), and was also seen on WGN Superstation.
Another 2001-02 syndicated show (came from CBC) was reruns of "The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne." It was about a conspiracy that Verne didn't just write his world-famous books, he personally experienced them as well. KXLY-4 in Spokane aired the reruns at 1:05AM overnight Monday mornings (ouch).
"Rendez-View" is another one that should be listed - that aired on KSTW 11 in Seattle at 1AM in 2002. Greg Proops hosted it, it was a comedy game show, from what I recall.
And speaking of game shows, BZZZ! with Annie Wood was another lesser-known show. Aired on KTZZ-22 Seattle around 1996 or 97.
Another one was "Puttin' on the Hits," or what I call "the Lip-Sync show." Obscure 1980s talent contest. Aired on a lot of stations but I don't have the guides out right now to look.
One more to add was 1996 as well - The Scoop with Sam & Dorothy - Sam Rubin and Dorothy Lucey hosted that show which was mainly celebrity gossip and similar topics. Aired in Eugene, OR on KLSR (Fox) and in Seattle-Tacoma on the short-lived CBS KSTW.
And was there ANYONE airing "Pigasso's Place" - a Barney-like show that was low budget (1994)?

-crainbebo

Lou Gordon was syndicated by Kaiser in several markets.

Nobody has yet mentioned the semi-syndicated PM/Evening Magazine from Group W.

There was the evening edition of "The (New) Price Is Right" (hosted by Dennis James, not Bob Barker early on).

Paul Harvey's syndicated five minute TV commentaries were widely seen either as a stand-alone feature after the news or in the local news block. Paul sat on the front edge of a desk, rather than in a chair behind the desk.

There was a syndicated update to "The 64,000 Dollar Question," which as I recall became "The 128,000 Dollar Question."

There was "In Search Of" a reality show hosted by Leonard Nimoy (which inspired the title of "Star Trek III: The Search For Spock").

And let's not forget "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" and "Fernwood Tonight."

A few others I plucked out of my brain, all also aired in Fairbanks:

Bzzz! (KFXF)
Queen of Swords (KATN)
Legend of the Seeker (KTVF)
Dr. Laura (Schlessinger) (KTVF)
Wild Things! (KATN)
Acapulco H.E.A.T. (KFXF)
Baywatch Nights (KATN)
Harry And The Hendersons (KFXF)
Keenen Ivory Wayans and Vibe (KFXF)
Sheena (K13XD)
Crook & Chase (KATN)
V.I.P (KFXF)
Mad Scientist Toon Club (KFXF)
Amazing Adventures (a weekend cartoon block, KATN)
Match Game '98 and Card Guppies (K13XD)
Renegade and Street Justice (KFXF)
Student Bodies (KFXF)
Flipper (the '90s revival which introduced the world to Jessica Alba, KFXF)
Star Games (KATN)
Unexplained Mysteries (KFXF)
George & Alana (KFXF)
Strange Universe (KFXF)
Prime Suspect (KATN)
Relic Hunter (K13XD?)
FX: The Series (KATN)
Pensacola: Wings of Gold (K13XD)
Tempestt (Bledsoe) (KFXF)
PSI Factor (KATN)
Due South (syndicated run, KTVF)
Honey, I Shrunk The Kids (KFXF)

Last edited:
I COMPLETELY forgot Tempestt! That was Tempestt Bledsoe hosting a short-lived discussion talk show in 1995-96. Aired on KIRO 7 during its UPN run, at 2PM weekdays - that would be replaced by Pat Bullard in September 96, and Guiding Light (CBS) in 97 when they gained back the CBS affiliation.
I'll add Algo's Factory, a children's E/I credit show similar to Crash Bang Splat, about science experiments. In Anchorage, it aired on KYES-5, no go in Fairbanks or Yakima-Tri Cities, and KSTW-11 in Seattle early on Saturday mornings. 1998-99 series.
George & Alana also aired 95-96, in Seattle it was on KING 5 at 9AM Weekdays (NBC).
Flipper (1995 revival) was on KIRO 7 (UPN)...
Unexplained Mysteries was on KSTW-11 late evenings on weekends.
I'll also add Dance 360, a talent show that aired around 2003, which in Seattle was also on KSTW-11.
And then "The Price is Right" had 3 syndicated runs, 1972-80 (Dennis James, then Bob Barker 77-80 I think?), 1985-86 (Tom Kennedy) and 1994-early in 95 (Doug Davidson, aka Paul on Young and the Restless). I know the 1994-95 run was on KOIN-6 in Portland, buried around 3AM...the 85-86 run was on WPCQ-36 in Charlotte, MAY have been on KING-5 here in Seattle, and the 70s run was on KIRO once a week at 7:30pm.

-crainbebo

Speaking of Baywatch Nights and PSI Factor, guess who aired them in the ATL??? You guessed it: WSB (confirmation: http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?618772-RETRO-ATLANTA-4-27-1997!!!

And back to Fairbanks...
The Extraordinary (KATN)
Cindy Margolis (K13XD (replacing The Howard Stern Radio Show, which never aired in Fairbanks))
Everyday With Joan Lunden (KATN)

In Gulfport/Biloxi, Miss. from 1989-91:
Reunion (WLOX)
The aforementioned Everyday (WXXV and either WVUE or WNOL on the New Orleans side)
Wake, Rattle, and Roll (WGNO?)
Memories: Then and Now (I think WDSU)

And that's all I remember; a trip to the coast -- and a library that has Sun Herald microfilms -- should decongest my brain somewhat.

Everyday with Joan Lunden was on WLIG 55 on Long Island.

-crainbebo

Now, the Atlanta version of this thread (Fairbanks stations in parentheses unless noted):

Cleopatra 2525--WSB
Relic Hunter--WSB
Queen of Swords--WUVG (when they were English-language WHOT)
Battle Dome--WUPA (KATN)
Maximum Exposure--WUPA (K13XD)
WOW: Women of Wrestling--WUVG (KFXF)
Sex Wars--WUPA (KFXF)
Texas Justice--WAGA
Peter Marshall Variety Show--WXIA
Arrest and Trial--WUVG
Strip Poker--WUVG
Popular Mechanics For Kids--WAGA
Sheena--WAGA
The Source: All Access--WSB
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World--WXIA
The Lazarus Man (Robert Urich's last series)--WAGA (KFXF)
High Tide--WAGA
FX: The Series--WSB
Two--WAGA
Beach Patrol--WAGA
She's The Sheriff--WXIA
We Got It Made (1987 revival)--WSB
Throb--WXIA
Out Of This World--WAGA (also paired with Small Wonder as did KTVF)
D.C Follies--WXIA (KTVF)
T and T--WGCL (KTVF)
V.I.P.--WAGA (KFXF)
New American Bandstand--WUPA (not WXIA as I originally thought)
Jack of All Trades--WSB
Madame's Place--WATL
Air America (starring Lorenzo Lamas)--WSB

...and more to come!

Last edited:
Some more for Atlanta:

"The Road," a show featuring country-music performers in concert around the country, aired on Channel 46. WSB had "Countdown At The Neon Armadillo."

WXIA had "Superboy" and "Super Force."

There are a couple on the air now that some people may not be aware of. "Real Green," an ecology show with host Alex Paen, airs on WCBS at 4:30 AM Saturday; an hour later, WFMY carries Buck McNeely's "The Outdoorsman."

Also, on the thread about former commercial shows airing on PBS stations, there's some mention of the Show Biz-produced country-music shows, the most popular of which was no doubt "The Porter Wagoner Show." Some more-obscure country shows, which may or may not have been produced by Show Biz:

Billy Walker's Country Carnival (later "Del Reeves' Country Carnival")
Marty Robbins' Spotlight (part-country music, part-"This Is Your Life")
The Bill Anderson Show (before he got into game shows like "The Better Sex")
The Stan Hitchcock Show (I think this guy was out of Missouri)
The Buck Owens TV Ranch Show (ran concurrently with "Hee Haw" in Atlanta, Birmingham, and Greensboro, IIRC)
The Stonemans (before Roni joined the cast of "Hee Haw"--in fact, before there even was a "Hee Haw")
and the spinoff of "Hee Haw," "Hee Haw Honeys," with Kathie Lee Gifford as one of the "honeys."

A few more, Seattle market

Texas Justice - KIRO
The Lost World - KCPQ
Beastmaster - KCPQ
DC Follies - KING
Popular Mechanics for Kids - KSTW
Power of Attorney - KIRO
FX: The Series - KOMO
Two - KIRO in the UPN days
The Lazarus Man - KIRO in the UPN days

Currently "Real Green" is on KIMA-29 in Yakima at 5PM Saturdays. Also aired on KONG-16 in Seattle.
And does ANYONE air Telco's "The Hollywood News Report"? Currently running as well.

Anyone remember a show called "Pro-Fan"? It teamed a contestant with a professional athlete; the contestant answered a sports-trivia question, then the athlete had to perform a feat related to his/her sport. KXTX in Dallas (yes, Ch. 39, then the CBN station) aired this show.

The most successful of these sports-related game shows has to be "Sports Challenge," which actually had a wide syndication and a brief run on CBS around 1973.

Then there was "Lee Trevino's Golf For Swingers," in which Trevino played with two celebrities; in my area, WGHP carried this show.

Anyone remember a show called "Pro-Fan"? It teamed a contestant with a professional athlete; the contestant answered a sports-trivia question, then the athlete had to perform a feat related to his/her sport. KXTX in Dallas (yes, Ch. 39, then the CBN station) aired this show.

Yes. It aired on WTVY (Dothan AL) c. 1976-77. Tiger Woods (when he was 3) was on the show.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom