• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Songs that fade in...

This may be a case where on the album version it doesn't, but on the single version it does. My copy fades in at the drumming.
I think I have the 45 of that one as well, and that version was on the greatest hits album, which I believe I still have on cassette. I will take a listen to that one later on. Just curious if any radio guys ever had an issue with cuing up that one.

More Boston: The "Long Time" single fades in, but on the album, "Foreplay"/"Long Time" also fades in.

The Reflex - Duran Duran
Steal Away - Robbie Dupree
Never Ending Story - Limahl
You Won't See Me - Anne Murray
Swingtown - Steve Miller Band

R

Thanks for reminding me of "You Won't See Me." I remember hearing it back in the 70's, always starting in a static-storm of "cue burn!" Never could figure why DJS had to cue fade-in records; wouldn't it have been easier just to start them up, fade down the previous disc, and talk over the crossfade?

I seem to recall that we had jingles that faded out. Those were great for cross-fading into songs that faded in, or just simply had a slow or soft start. No real need in cue-burning them because there was no real obvious "start point." And obviously, songs that faded out were great for cross-fading with those that faded in, or just simply had a soft start. "Swingtown" would have obviously been a great choice for that.

With these "fade-outs" (be it jingles or a previous song) crossfaded with something that faded in, my boardwork still sounded tight, and I avoided excessive dead-air WITHOUT actually "butchering" any of the songs. And some songs, whether they faded in or simply had a slow or soft start, often came across as "dead-air" to listeners, even though it wasn't. I usually referred to those as songs that took a while to "get going." ;)

Why Can't This Be Love - Van Halen

R

Dire Straits, "Money for Nothing," particularly the album version. I remember that the top 40 station in my neck of the woods played what we now know as the "long edit" of that one, but still edited off the intro, up until the point where the electric guitar kicks in.

And "I Ran" by a Flock of Seagulls. The single version of that one gets right down to business, but on the album version, the intro does a quick fade in, but then still takes a while to "get going." The outros of that one are also different, with the single fading out early, but the album version comes to a full, complete ending.

"While You See A Chance" - Steve Winwood
"Land of 1000 Dances" - Cannibal & The Headhunters
"Keep Coming Back" - Richard Marx

"Heart of Rock & Roll," Huey Lewis & the News. I took a listen to this one yesterday, and the heartbeat fades in at the beginning of the song, and then fades out again at the end. It begins and ends with the heartbeat. I once had the opportunity to hear this one crossfaded...with itself! The old classic hits 97.1 here in Nashville played it, then at the end, I noticed that I was hearing either a double heartbeat, or at least an echo on the heartbeat. Then I determined that they were playing it again!

To explain: for some reason, almost every Monday afternoon in the 1:30-2:00 time frame, 97.1 (at least when Cumulus owned them) repeated songs. I have no idea why, but I suspect that their automation and/or voice-tracking was screwed up, and they were apparently so understaffed at the time that evidently nobody noticed! I had a thread about this phenomenon on the Nashville board here back at that time. Apparently nobody at Cumulus even gave a damn about this screw-up, as it happened like clockwork almost every Monday afternoon for weeks at a time! Some songs would play two, three, and even four times straight! They even got a humorous comment about it on their Facebook page at the time, which I made sure to "like"!

By the way, if anyone anyone anyone has the version of "Heart of Rock and Roll" with the custom "Memphis!" shout-out at the end of it, I would love to have a copy! I would also settle for the "Nashville!" shout-out (which I actually heard on the air a few times after moving here) as well.

FADE?? HELL NO!! its a cold start......right into vocals...I played it and remember trying to set Prophet to properly play it after a fade out song..FADE IN?? HARDLY!!!

The version I have fades in.

R

It's both. The single version goes straight into vocal, while the album version has about 40+ seconds of synthesizer lead-in. I remember both getting roughly equal airplay while it was a hit. I am not really a Styx fan, so I had to look this one up.

single edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF9C6c39n8w

Album version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51ybp_YFo7I

This is one of those cases where I prefer the album version. That single edit sounds rough jumping in at the lyric.

R

Trouble - Lindsey Buckingham

R

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom