• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dance Music...in a supermarket!

JayR

Star Participant
I was shopping at my local Winn-Dixie this morning when I heard Castles In The Sky play.

What the ----?!

Since when did Castles qualify for airplay in a supermarket?

Last Wednesday, in my local supermarket, I heard John Newman's "Love Me Again" and Disclosure's "Latch." I just figure that dance is the dominant genre in popular music right now (something I was laughed at relentlessly by many in the industry for predicting a decade ago), so it makes sense that it would be heard in public places.

I would disagree. Love Me again is a pure Hot AC / Pop record.
It's a dancey song that gets dance airplay, and it's very much electronic. That would, logically, lead one to the conclusion that it is, by definition, electronic dance music.

Disclosure definitely puts out Dance records (EDM is a whole other sound), but once it goes CHR, it shouldn't be surprising to hear it on any piped feed playing the Hot Hits format
Which qualifies just about every EDM record out there right now, because as I said previously, that's the dominant sound in popular music right now.

Let me ask you this: if you were to go back to the mid-90's, would you disqualify, as EDM, all of the dance tracks that were popular back then because they also happened to fit the Hot AC format? Because that was the last time we saw such a consistent crossover between the two formats, and I don't recall much of anyone in the industry saying back then, "that has too much of a pop sound to be dance." Just about everyone was playing a lot of those songs, some even out of format. And it worked.

I simply don't think people associate EDM with the acronym anymore. It is now known as a sub genre of cheesey Electro music, or also known as Big Room (Garrix, Afrowack, SHM). I find it insulting to put quality groups like Disclosure in that category. To me, they are paving the way for more intelligent Dance like Clean Bandit, Duke Dumont and the likes. EDM is all the disposable, cookie cutter, flavor of the month stuff, which is nothing but a marketing gimmick term. In the 90s Euro was very much all over the radio, but at least is was actual Dance artists. John Newman, Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Miley Cyrus are not. They simply get remixed by "EDM" producers.

That would be the difference. I don't care what the general public refers to as "EDM," if it's electronic and it's danceable, it's EDM. It's an umbrella term. If you want to get into the subgenres, everything falls underneath it.

Cool I told people a few years back EDM was for cubicle workers so expect it to be at Walmart and grocery stores maybe even in elevators......corporate mood music

EDM is a BS term used to define heavy synth in your face tracks that usually have a break. The structure isn't typical for songs. Vocals are rarely on the crazy parts, only the break downs. If the initials are Electronic Dance Music, then you could say that nearly every song produced lately is EDM. We all know that the deep and classic house tracks coming out now are NOT 'EDM' no more than they were in the 90s and 00s. Therefore EDM is a sub genre of Dance. The term has been hijacked and marketed to the ignorant consumer as all encompassing dance. Drive-by dance consumers don't know the difference.

If the initials are Electronic Dance Music, then you could say that nearly every song produced lately is EDM. We all know that the deep and classic house tracks coming out now are NOT 'EDM' no more than they were in the 90s and 00s.

Thank you Mike, at least somebody gets it. I think the true acronym means Electro ****** Music

Going back to the subject, I have also heard Deepest Blue at Frys supermarket. It seems they stick with the ones from the early 2000s

Last edited:
We're not drive-by consumers here, we're industry professionals, and words still have meaning.

Yes words do have meaning, that's why I cringe when I hear all dance music genre's called 'techno' or 'edm'. *palmstoface

Yes words do have meaning, that's why I cringe when I hear all dance music genre's called 'techno' or 'edm'. *palmstoface
Well then you're giving EDM the wrong meaning. It doesn't matter what it means to the general public, it matters what the actual meanings of the words are. "Electronic Dance Music" is an umbrella term that, yes, covers most popular music today. Just because you want to be all hipster about it and reject it because it's "too mainstream" today means nothing. It is EDM, it's what we're here for, and that's all there is to it. No facepalm necessary from me... music snobbery doesn't deserve it.

It's like trying to convince a religious person of logical ways. They usually hold on to what they were spoon fed as youngsters. Just like this new generation is sold on corporate trends, definitions, and distorted views of pop culture. Nobody is being a hipster here, its called looking outside the box. And for the record, there is nothing wrong with something going mainstream. If its quality, then its quality. The MAJORITY of the genre selling its soul (literally) for the bandwagon EDM is far from quality. It takes talent to recognize talent. Few acquire that, and just settle for whatever is spoon fed to them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom