• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Well, now "Baila" is gone

P

purpledevil

Sounds as though Liberman has made a change to KNTE Bay City, as it is now assuming the "La Ranchera" name that has been residing at 850 KEYH, and is currently playing Regional Mexican programming. Flipped over to 850 to see if they're in simulcast and KEYH is silent. On the air, but silent.

Well, there goes the unique dance format on 101-7. Now sounding like La Raza and to a certain extent, Estereo Latino.

Considering Liberman's history of format swaps in this market, could this be the first of multiple switcheroos again for the LBI stations?

Guess I should've checked the net gnomes first, as Insight has the story up already...

http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/89409/liberman-shuffles-houston-duo/

I guess they are getting this "La 850" together, which has resulted in the silence. No mention of what type of music will be complimented with the sports. Any ideas?

CW, you used to work for the guy. Any idea what would possess him to move La Ranchera to the Bay City rimshot? That's a longstanding and well known name in Houston, which was on 850 for years and years until LBI moved it up to 1230 for a couple of years, and then returned it home to KEYH.

Odd, odd, odd.

Hey!! KNTE has now went off the air, and guess what I'm hearing, loud and CLEAR??

Yep, KCYB with George Thorogood and The Destroyers on air right now, standing all alone and nothing interfering with it. Sounds like a freaking local sitting in my driveway just west of Spring.

Did KCYB crank up the juice a bit, after noticing KNTE is off? It sounds great, but I can't get a stereo pilot to lock. Are they airing in mono??

I think the change on KNTE actually happened many weeks ago...I noticed the "Ranchera" branding then, but it wasn't a simulcast of KEYH. KNTE has been running the World Cup games, but I didn't check to see if KEYH was doing the same.

Both KNTE and KEYH back on with separate Ranchera music at a 7:15pm check Friday evening. KCYB also there in my driveway sweet spot. Sorry I missed the chance to check KCYB without the KNTE battle...of course KSAM-FM and KAYD can be issues as well...

Bumping the thread to draw your attention to the Los Angeles board: Liberman is selling KHJ. Looks like they are scraping for money. Is the end near?

Bumping the thread to draw your attention to the Los Angeles board: Liberman is selling KHJ. Looks like they are scraping for money. Is the end near?

Nah. The liquidation value is far less than the debt, so I doubt that is going to happen.

Liberman has eliminated under-performing assets, though.

KHJ moved to an inferior, diplexed antenna system last year. Coverage was reduced. But they did it to sell the land under the old site, which was worth more than the station. With AM performing so poorly among Hispanics in general, KHJ was down to a 0.5 share range. It was likely cash flowing below the ROI objectives, so it made for a prime sale candidate.

DavidEduardo said:
Liberman has eliminated under-performing assets, though.

98.5 and 107.9 are probably safe for now as they are the best signals of the Houston cluster, and, last we were able to see, the only ones drawing any numbers. However 850, 101.7 and 103.3 are ones to keep an eye on.

850 would be a superb place for an Asian language format. The 10kw signal blasts into the heavily Asian areas of the market. Even the 185 watt night signal is surprisingly good with the highly directional antenna.

101.7 and 103.3 miss most of Houston metro and are non-factors. Liberman could dump both of them and not see much change in revenue, other than eliminating the costs of the transmitters. EMF could use either one of them to fill in areas where the current Air1 signal on 103.7 has issues. Spanish language religion is another possibility. Not sure what else might have any chance of working; so satellite fed national formats are probably the future for both.

Perhaps a new owner would FINALLY build the 103.3 upgrade.

I highly doubt KJOJ would go on the block, unless someone was willing to pay a highly foolish amount of cash for it. EMF is unlikely to do that. I mean, they only paid, what, $5mil for KHJK? I don't remember what they picked up KOUL (now KXAI) or KLTO (now KZAR) for, but it seems like they were acquired for a nice price as well.

850, I could see, but doubtful that it would become an Asian targeted station. What type of Asian language are we talking about? Vietnamese? Covered by KREH, and to a lesser extent KCHN. Mandarin? Already on the air at KXYZ, from the motherland's CRI network.

What about CBS? They need a fulltime home for the national sports network. Maybe a swap and cash for KIKK? Then Liberman leases KIKK out to one of the Asian language operators, such as Radio Saigon, extending KREH's reach?

Just thinking out loud here. 850 is one of the better AM signals around here, of course none of them being that great at night, KEYH included. I doubt Liberman would unload it either, unless they were offered some serious coin for it, and who's going to drop an exorbitant amount of money for any AM facility around here?

I'm surprised you mentioned 103-3, frankly. Do you really think Liberman would neuter La Raza's footprint like that? Sure, 98-5 covers the east side like a blanket, and has a decent signal inside of the loop, but to basically cut loose service to the heavily Hispanic population on the southwest and south sides of town? I just couldn't imagine that. Only if Liberman pulls out of the market all together.

KNTE, absolutely. I've been waiting to see that one unloaded since he sold KIOX to KSBJ. That was a reach when Liberman bought it in the first place. I guess, if Liberman simulcasted La Raza on 101-7 instead of 103-3, then maybe KJOJ gets sold and KNTE stays put, but I wholeheartedly expect to see a write up from Lance, sooner rather than later, indicating KNTE has been unloaded.

I highly doubt KJOJ would go on the block, unless someone was willing to pay a highly foolish amount of cash for it. EMF is unlikely to do that. I mean, they only paid, what, $5mil for KHJK? I don't remember what they picked up KOUL (now KXAI) or KLTO (now KZAR) for, but it seems like they were acquired for a nice price as well.

KJOJ could always go at a fire sale price, as did KHJK. Despite the signal limitations, I think there would be little trouble selling it. And it has the CP for an upgrade. Still wouldn't be a full market signal, but it would have value...to someone.

850, I could see, but doubtful that it would become an Asian targeted station. What type of Asian language are we talking about? Vietnamese? Covered by KREH, and to a lesser extent KCHN. Mandarin? Already on the air at KXYZ, from the motherland's CRI network.

I think all of the Asian language stations are brokered time, which means the programming can move around. How many signals has Hum Tum Radio been on?

What about CBS? They need a fulltime home for the national sports network. Maybe a swap and cash for KIKK? Then Liberman leases KIKK out to one of the Asian language operators, such as Radio Saigon, extending KREH's reach?

Not a bad idea for CBS Sports Radio. I doubt Liberman would have any interest in 650, although brokered ethnic/religion is probably in its future.

Just thinking out loud here. 850 is one of the better AM signals around here, of course none of them being that great at night, KEYH included. I doubt Liberman would unload it either, unless they were offered some serious coin for it, and who's going to drop an exorbitant amount of money for any AM facility around here?

The (perhaps) greater fools that have purchased numerous other basket-case stations in the area?

I guess, if Liberman simulcasted La Raza on 101-7 instead of 103-3, then maybe KJOJ gets sold and KNTE stays put, but I wholeheartedly expect to see a write up from Lance, sooner rather than later, indicating KNTE has been unloaded.

Liberman keeping KNTE might make more sense. La Raza would still pretty much have the same relevant coverage area. And the KJOJ license would be more valuable in a sale. Remember, Liberman needs $$$ to stay ahead of the debt collectors.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom